Orange's DnD Campaign

A forum where you can talk about SFFMW, ask questions about the comic, post fanstuff, and anything else (within reason, of course).

Orange's DnD Campaign

Postby SpriteMeister on Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:29 pm

All right, despite appearances, this is your beloved yet despotic DM SleepingOrange speaking. As of now, the officially official D&D thread for the campaign: 'Orange's Rienserieux'.

As a friendly reminder (by some-one with mod powers), this thread may be used for in-character talking, role-playing, and general D&Dification. It may also be used for relevant out-of-character chatter; game mechanics, questions for the DM, etcetera. Any-thing else may be posted on the campaign thread back on the Bifforums (http://thebookofbiff.com/forum/index.php?topic=113.180), but will not be tolerated here.

Last, Here is a condensed version of what has happened so far (condensed meaning only what has happened, not OOC chitchattery). There is apparently no color in this record, HTML to plaintext to HTML not translating well, but I bet you can figure out what's going on:

Orange: The archipelago of Provenca: a chain of islands just south of The Continent. Each one is self-governed, and each an entirely sovereign nation. Some even are large enough to warrant multiple nations. Today's story is centered on Rienserieux, an island of about 800 square miles.

Rienserieux is governed by a magocracy, with a powerful wizard, sorcerer, cleric, druid, and witch forming the Council of Five. The council has the final word on matters of law an governmemt, but is constantly advised by lesser mages, influenced by various aristocrats, and appealed to by peasants in times of need.

Rienserieux is interesting in its approach to the undead: for as long as any-one can remember, undead have been welcomed and accepted on Rienserieux; liches hold powerful positions in the government, wights and ghouls patrol the streets in vrious police forces, and zombies can be seen tilling fields and milking cows. For 732 years, the cleric position in the Council of Five has been held by a lich cleric of Wee Jas, leading to a proliferation of temples in her honour, an uncommon circumstance elsewhere in Provenca.

Because of its pro-magic approach, Rienseriux has a much higher proportion of spellcasters than is the case else-where. Even most peasants can cast some rudimentary magic. The capital city of Mondstadt holds both libraries of arcane lore and temples containing sages knowlegable in all things divine. Scholars of all kinds and backgrounds can be found browsing the libraries or engaged in spirited debate with some ancient expert.

Our story starts in the village of Ordburg. Ordburg is near the center of Rienserieux, and is fairly un-remarkable as villages go. Farmers make up most of the population, with service workers and shop owners filling things out. A few wizards, witches, priests, barristers, and restaurateurs inhabit Ordburg, but no-one too notable. The city is built centered around a square dominated by a fountain known as, for reasons long forgotten, the Fountain of Life. In the square can be found a few pubs, smithies, the main temple, general stores, and a small start-up magical item emporium recently opened by Zavistic Rarve, a local wizard. Until recently, nothing of real interest has happened in Ordburg, which has languished in the Summer heat like it does every year. However, two nights ago, slightly outside the outskirts of town, a loud grinding noise started and carried on through-out the night, stopping shortly before dawn. The next morning, residents discovered a cave system there that was not present the day before. From the mouth of the cave came strange moaning and bubbling noises that were quite disconcerting to all those that heard them. Worried, the mayor sent down a small squad of zombies to explore the cave with orders to come back after four hours, but after the time was up, no zombies re-surfaced. The mayor decided that the best thing to do would be to gather a few living explorers to see what was going on in the caves, and offer a reward if they could put a stop to whatever as going on.

After searching for candidates, the assembled party consisted of the following members: a fighter, bored with town life, eager to test his mettle and claim the reward; a druid worried that the caves and whatever un-natural horrors they contained would soon encroach on his sacred grove; a local wizard, intrigued by the sudden appearance of some-thing so clearly magical; and a wandering gnome currently boarding in a local pub, curious about what might lay within the caves.

Shortly after dawn, two days after the appearance of the cave, the ad hoc adventurers gather in the square before the mayor, the priest from the temple of Wee Jas, and Zavistic Rarve.

The mayor, a rather short and portly man dressed in clothes rather finer than are strictly necessary, says, "Well, you boys know the danger of what you're about to do, but you know that it's for the good of the town. I've seen to it that the town will provide you with whatever you need, and my good friends Zavistic and Mort here are prepared to help you and provide you with the reward we- er, I've promised you. Mort?"

Mort Flaco, a pale and bony priest of Wee Jas, dressed in the traditional black-and-grey vestments of his sect, steps forward, clears his throat and says, "Yes, the mayor has asked me to provide you with any healing you find necessary. I can't, of course, go with you; I have my flock to tend to. However, I will, on request, provide you with any spells you need at a considerable and, frankly, generous discount. In addition, while cleaning the archives last week, I discovered these old scrolls. They're taking up un-necessary space, and I thought you could make more use of them than I could. They're a bit battered, but the magic is still intact. Probably." He hands three old, battered scrolls tied with ancient twine to the druid. "If you need any-thing, don't hesitate to come to me. May the Stern Lady watch your travels."

"Er, yes, thank you Mort. Now, as to the matter of the reward, the city has decided to open its, er, coffers to pay Mr. Rarve here to give you some trinkets. I'm sure he can, er, elaborate.

Zavistic Rarve, a slightly barmy old wizard with a thick accent and thicker moustache, who had been drifting off, snaps to. "Wut? Oh, aye. Aye lads, mister mayor here has promised me that when you coome bak from yonder hole, he'll foot the bill if ye'll be wanting any o' me stock. Personally, I dinnae think there'll be anything worth worryin' aboot, but ye cannae be too careful. Be sure ye come back safe."

"Well, that's that then. I'm sure I don't want to keep you here any longer. I, er, guess we'll be off then. Er, good luck boys." With that, the three men head back to their respective homes or places of work. Mort, however, turns around as if he'd forgotten some-thing.

"Oh, and by the way, gentlemen. I believe that things may have been coming from that hole in the dark of night and making off with people's possessions. It could merely be coincidence, but my good silver holy symbol has vanished, and I've been hearing people complaining of other things gone missing too. If you happen across my symbol, I would be ever so grateful if you'd return it." And with that, he too makes to leave.

King: Trilgat (the curious gnome) turns to the other three and asks, "Is everybody ready to go?"

Silf: Jack (the impatient elven wizard) replies "Aye. Let's get on with it already."

Snake: I'm ready to go already, for pie's sake!

King: "The druid over there looks like he's still getting ready. Do you think we should leave now and let him catch up with us later?"

Orange: "Oh, I'm sorry, I was just distracted. Yes, I'm ready to go."

Silf: "Then get your butt in gear! We're moving out!"

Snake: Thats Better...

King: *follows the others silently*

Orange: "Honestly, there's no reason for this brusqueness. We're supposed to be allies."
*Follows the rest of the party.*

King: *falls behind generic-nameless-potentially-plothole-causing-druid*

Silf: "Yeah, yeah, cry me a river, build me a bridge and get over it."

Snake: HURRY UP!!!!

Orange: The party heads towards the north gate. As they reach it, an old rag man hobbles out of an alley, falls to his knees, and grabs the hems of Jack's robes. "Please, sirs! Alms for the poor? I have the filth fever, but no gold with which to pay a chirurgeon or priest. Please, sirs, please?!"

Silf: "I apologize, sir. I would like to help you, but I don't have any money either. But maybe our healer can help you."
*yells off to the side*
"Oy! Druid! Get over here!"

Orange: Druid rolls his eyes. "I'm right behind you, y'know. Anyway, I don't have the power to cast the kind of spell he needs. I could tend to him with mundane means, but that would delay our egress by at LEAST eight hours, possibly as much as a few days... If you're willing to wait..."

Silf: "If it means we can help this man, I think we can wait. And anyone who disagrees can argue with Mr. Magic Missle.
*stares around menacingly*

Snake: I say we kill him take his things and sell 'em. And Mr. Magic Missle how would your magic stand up to my blade?

Orange: "All right, all right. Every-one stop talking. Grey, he's a beggar. What could he possibly have that we could sell? Also, he's diseased. Who would buy it even if he had any-thing? Jack, I'm with you, but clearly he isn't. We'll leave it up to the gnome to decide."

King: "We should help him out. It won't hurt us any to wait a few more hours." *mutters something about decent people getting screwed by those in power*

Orange: "Oh, thank you good sirs. Bless you. Bless you all." At the last word, the beggar surreptitiously glances at Grey Fox.

"All right, if we're going to do this, we need to set up a hostel. My grove is too far away to be viable, do any of you have a house near here? Incidentally, I will need an assistant. Do any of you have any experience healing?"

Silf: "I personally do not have a house, and I do not believe that anyone else here has one. However, the mayor and his cohorts are still nearby, and we might be able to gain use of one of their houses."

Orange: "Mmm... I doubt that. As it is, we're supposed to be exploring the cave, not tending to beggars. They may well be displeased... I suppose if no-one owns a house, we can take him to my grove. It's an hour's travel from here by foot, maybe more if we're taking him with us. I guess if there's no other option..."

Silf: "Considering the rest of us, it looks like Grey will be carrying him. Are you up to it?"

Orange: "No, I can carry myself... You're already doing enough for me..."

Snake: Make me touch that deseised Son of a Biscuit imma start throwing sharp objects at him, and if you need me i'm in my Box, come to any tavern and say this: "La Li Lu Le Lo" and i'll be there in a few minutes.

Orange: "Yes, well, that's very helpful. Thank you. Are we going to do this or not? We need to get moving if we're traveling all the way to my grove." Druid bends down and helps the beggar up. "We've got a ways to go."

Silf: "Right, then. Onward to the grove!" says Jack. Then he remembers that he doesn't know where the grove is. Red-faced, he turns to the druid and whispers, "Which way to your grove?"

Orange: "We're at the correct gate right now. It's about an hour's walk south-east of here. I'll take the lead."

DM: Okay, we need to decide marching order. Druid is in front, followed by the beggar. Every-one else is:

King: Trilgat slips to the back of the group.

Silf: Jack walks behind the beggar, ensuring that he doesn't fall.

Snake: As I said i'm going to hide out. I told you how to find me and hope you won't need me for a while...Walks to dark alley way. *voice in the wind*remember...any tavern... La Li Lu Le Lo... ... ...

Orange: DM: All righty then. Having lost a character on the first side-quest, you set off. The country-side is resplendent with the native plant-life, pleasantly warm with-out being sweltering, and apparently devoid of any-thing dangerous or ravening. As you walk (slowly, for the sake of the beggar), Druid says,
"I figure if we're going to be fighting side-by-side against the savage forces of Obad-Hai-knows-what in the claustrophobic recesses of a probably unstable cave crafted by magic wrouht from an un-known and probably wholly evil source, I feel we should at least know a little about each other. I guess I'll start.
I've lived here on Rienserieux for my whole life. I used to live farther up north, in the village of Città del Villaggio. That's where I was born. How-ever, when I started my training, I moved to... Well, I can't tell non-druids, but suffice to say, it wasn't in Città. Once I became fully vested, I was given charge of the grove here near Ordburg. We haven't had the numbers to keep any-one here full-time for years; It's not exactly a hot-bed of un-natural activity. But, lately, our numbers have been growing, and we've actually had the man-power to start occupying all the old ley-lines, and that's why I'm here."

Snake: Fox gets bored...This sucks!!! Maybe if I stalk the group for a while...You know where they are right?Yes I know where they are.... Stupid hallucinations...(Follows Group)

Silf: "Alright, I guess it's my turn. There's not much to tell. Ten years ago, I woke up in a bed. My head was bandaged, and there was an old man standing over me. Said he'd found me lying on his doorstep. Turned out he was an old master of arcane magic, and he agreed to train me to become a wizard. I don't remember anything up to that point, and the only clue I have to my past is a birthmark in the shape of a rose on my back. That old man was my family until two months ago, when he died. After that, I set out adventuring in hopes to find out more about my past."

King: "I come from a gnome village on the Continent. I started learning illusion magic but had to leave on a... for lack of a better word... mission. I've been traveling the world looking for someone since, but have had no leads as of yet."

Silf: "Does anyone else see that person down there a ways?"

Orange: Druid shades his eyes, but shakes his head.

The beggar nods vaguely. "I think so..."

King:"Yeah, I think so..."

Silf: "Well, let's go check it out."
Jack increases his pace slightly.

King: Trilgat, while still keeping pace with his fellow travellers, tries to get a better look at the figure.

Orange: DM: All right, at their increased pace, the party comes shorty up on the figure. As you arrive, the figure straightens up, and you see that he's holding a trowel. A human of about average height with lank hair and a scar across his cheek, he wears a red robe, and has what appears to be a staff of some sort across his back. As you get closer, he says,
"Why, hello there fellow travelers. What can I do for you on this fine day?"

Silf: "NOthing, thank you for offering. Though we were wondering what you were doing here."

Orange: "Actually, I think you'll find this interesting. See those patches of fresh dirt?" He points to two patches of recently-turned earth. "Take a good look. You might have to bend down to see it, though..."

Silf: Jack turns aside and whispers to the party. I don't know about this one. Something doesn't seem right about him. I get the feeling that as soon as we get nearer to him, he will attack us. What do you think?"

Orange: Druid whispers, "Even so, what could he do to us? We out-number him three-to-one, so there's not much danger. Plus, maybe this is a legitimately interesting thing. how would we feel if we missed that?"

Silf: Jack nods. "Very well. What do you think, gnome?"

King: Without moving, Trilgat looks at the dirt for anything suspicious. While he does this, he reaches for one of his darts, trying not to be seen doing so (he is standing behind two other people), and says to Traveller"What about them?" [at party] "I don't know what his intentions are, that's why I asked him about the dirt."

Orange: "Oh, just a minor oddity about the soil here. Plant matter grows remarkably rapidly here. I just planted a few seeds, and they should already be sprouting."

King: "Would you happen to know anything about this, Druid?" (in a curious tone, not suspicious)

Orange: "Well, with all the magic floating around this island, it's entirely possible some-thing like this could have happened. Let me take a look at this." Druid steps towards the right-most patch, and crouches down on his haunches.

Silf: "Do you see anything there that looks unusual?"

Orange:"Well, I do see some-thing, but I don't know what it is..."

"By the way, wizard? I think you'll find that klueg lidjic ayu!" The man waves his hands in the air and shouts a few unintelligible words.
OODMC: Silf, you shall shortly have a message. CHECK IT!

DM: As he does so, the soil the man pointed out erupts in a shower of mud, and two emaciated, clawed humanoids burst out of the ground. Druid is knocked prone, and the monster that came out of his hole makes as if to bite him, but Druid rolls out of the way. The other creature moves towards the party, moaning.

Orange: DM:Druid pushes himself to his feet, and begin chanting and gesturing; seeing an opening, his monster swings with its claws, but Druid avoids the firt blow, and the second bounces off his torso, harmlessly deflected. upon completion of the spell, a small, fist sized ball of blue fire appears in Druid's hand.
Traveler swings the staff off of his back, which turns out to be a scythe. He starts moving purposely towards Jack.
Monster 2 bites and claws at Druid; the bite misses, as does one of its claws. However, in doding the first claw, he heads straight into the second, which catches him across the face, almost knocking him over.
The beggar takes a few steps back, looking unsure of what to do.
DM: Trilgat's turn!

King: Trilgat moves around the skirmish, trying not to be noticed by Traveller (with the intent of sneaking behind him; walking around M1 if needed) with his dart at the ready. If he gets a sense that he was noticed, he immediately fires at Traveller.

Orange: Monster 1 moves towards druid, biting as he comes; Druid takes the bite right in his left arm, and winces.
Jack starts emitting a horrible bubbling noise, like a scream that won't come, and turns around, fleeing. As he passes by the beggar, the beggar makes as if to trip him; his ankle connects with Jack's, and he goes down.
Druid takes a step back, and throws the fire-ball at Monster 2; as the fireball connects with the monster's face, Druid draws a sickle from its holster on his belt.
The traveler moves to where Jack had fallen, but notices the beggar. He swings his scythe at the beggar, who avoids the blade, but takes the shaft across his chest and falls to the ground.
Monster two steps forward to match Druid, and swipes at him. His claw whistles through the air where Druid's head was a moment before.
The beggar pulls himself up and tries to grab the scythe from the traveler. The traveler swings at him, but misses dreadfully. The beggar grabs the scythe, and after a few seconds of tug-of-war, manages to get it out of the traveler's hands.
DM: Trilgat again!

King: Okay, seeing that I am flanking M1 with Druid, I sneak attack him with my dart. [note: Trilgat was actually NOT flanking M1; should any-one ask, I can send then flanking rules.]

Orange: The dart is caught by an errant gust of wind. That, combined with your poor aim, sends the dart way off course. Fortunately, no-one has noticed you yet.
Monster 1 attacks Druid, clawing and biting; however, Druid's armor serves him well, deflecting all three attacks.
Jack clambers to his feet again, still intent on flight; however, the beggar trips him again as he gets up.
Druid attacks monster 2, scoring a couple of light blows.
The traveler mumbles beneath his breath, and his hand glows with a dark force. he strikes beggar across the face, clearly causing pain.
Monster 2 assails druid, but fares no better than its compatriot.
Beggar, clearly unsure of himself, swings the scythe at the traveler; he actually manages to score a hit, brutally slashing the traveler across the chest.
DM: Trilgat HO!

King: Okay, Trilgat pulls out another dart and throws it at Traveller this time

Orange: The dart strikes the traveler in the nape of the neck. Traveler yowls in pain and spins around, noticing Trilgat for the first time.
Monster one continues his assault on Druid; his bite misses, but both of his claws hit. Upon being struck by the second, Druid stiffens as though frozen and falls awkwardly to the ground.
DM:Jack's turn!

Silf: Jack attempts to hit the traveler with his quarterstaff.

Orange: Jack clambers to his feet, drawing his staff as he does. He swings it at the traveler, who dodges out of the way; unfortunately for him, the other end of the staff comes up to meet his head as he jinks to the side. It catches him across the ear. With a faitn oof, the traveler falls to the ground, a small trickle of blood oozing out of his mouth and nose.
Druid is still laying on the ground, not moving at all.
The traveler, too, just lays there. Oozing, in his case.
Monster 2 steps over Druid and moves towards the beggar, biting as he comes; his bite misses horribly though.
The beggar swings at the monster menacing him, but only manages a glancing blow with a weapon he's clearly unfamiliar with.
DM: Trilgat's and Grey Fox's turns.

Snake: Gray Fox attempts to hit the travaler with the Katana. Hahahaha!! Action!!!

King: Trilgat pulls and throws another dart, this time at M1.

Snake: attacks M2[instead]

Orange: Trilgat Throws a dart at M1, but it sticks only in his arm. As he does, a man the party recognizes as the fighter from earliercomes moving in, slashing at M2. His katana strikes at its shoulder, and tears through it like paper, leaving the monster in two halves.
Monster 1 heads towards Trilgat, gnashing its teeth; he bareky misses the gnome.
DM: Jack!

Silf: Jack rushes to Trilgat's assistance, attacking Monster 1 with both ends of his staff.

Orange: Jack moves toward M1, flailing with his staff, but the monster doesn't even have to try very hard to avoid his blows.
The beggar stands nervously, holding the scythe. He's clearly hesitant to approach the remaining monster.
DM: Trilgat and Grey!

Snake: Grey slashes with both his Katanas

King: Tril steps back and throws another dart at M1.

Orange: Trilgat takes a step bak, drawing a dart and hurling it at the monster. His aim is dead on, but he clearly can't throw his darts with enough force to cause much damage to the creature.
Grey Fox pulls a second katana out of its sheath as he moves towards the creature, and and adroitly slashes with his off hand, missing, but driving the creature straight into his good hand's katana. The creature sustains serious damage across its torso.
Monster 1, clearly the worse for wear, bites and claws at Jack, but is apparently trying to do so in a manner that won't open it up for attack. Thus, its attacks all miss.
DM: Jack.

Silf: I attack again, only using one end this time.

Orange: Jack swings, and only barely misses; had the creature not been dodging more than usual, he probably would have hit it.
Druid goes limp, then groggily stands up. Seeing what's going on, he moves around the group to the other side of the monster, slashig at it with his sickle. He too, is only barely thwarted.
The beggar just stands there, nervously spinning the scythe in his hands.
DM: G + T, biznatches!

King: 'Nuther step back, 'nuther dart. Also, after attacking, Trilgat quickly glances at the other two foes, just in case.

Orange: Trilgat's dart strikes the monster in the ear, and Grey Fox sees the tip coming out the other side of its head. The monster quietly folds up.

King: Okay, unless anything comes to my attention, I start gathering my darts back up. "Is everyone alright?"

Orange: Druid says, "Actually, I'm hurt pretty badly. If no-one else is too injured, I think I'll heal myself."

The beggar, who looks relieved that combat appears to be over, nods mutely and drops the scythe.

Silf: "I'm fine now." Jack throws a dirty look at the "traveler".

"I told you we shouldn't have trusted him."

King: When Trilgat gets his dart from Traveller, he searches him for anything of value or use.

Orange: Upon hearing Jack, the druid mutters to himself, gesticulating oddly. His hand is suffused with white energy, which his applies to his chest. As he does, the cuts and bruises he sustained battling the monsters close and fade.

King: "Hey! He's still alive!"

Silf: Jack runs over and hits the traveller.

Orange: Jack's staff clangs on the traveler's breastplate.

Druid yells, "Wiatwaitwait! If we restrain him then revive him, we could at least find out what he was doing here! There could be more people with this guy! Maybe he has some-thing to do with the mysterious cave."

King: "Yeah. I'm glad he was wearing armor."

Orange: Druid walks over to the traveler and begins dressing his wounds. "I should be able to stabilize him without a problem, and it'll be awhile before he's conscious again, but we need a way to restrain him. Does any-one have any rope?"

Silf: "I hold no sympathy for him." Jack does a double take. "Wait a moment, what mysterious cave?"

Orange: Druid stops what he's doing for a moment, and turns to Jack with an almost constipated expression of dumbfoundedness. "The one we were hired, hired just this morning in fact, to investigate? That cave? Ringing any bells?"

Silf: "Ah, yes, that cave. I thought you meant some other cave."

Snake: Wonder if that beggers still alive...

Orange: A tremulous voice calls out, "I'm right here... You stepped around me to get to that first monster, remember?..."

King: "Yeah, I have some rope right here" Trilgat pulls a length of rope from his bag, and holds it up.

Orange: "Let me finish here, then you can bind him up."
After a handful of seconds, Druid stands up and says, "All right, he's stable. Take it away, Trigat."

King: Trilgat starts to tie Traveller up.

Orange: Trilgat binds the traveler, knotting the rope around his ankles and wrists. For added measure, he knots it twice around the man's knees.

"Well, now what? Do we want to carry him to my grove, or do we just want to wait here until he wakes up? Judging from that blow to the head, it could be up to a couple of hours before he regains concsiousness..."

King: "I vote we stay here. I found something I want to ask him about. Besides, do we really want to carry him to your grove?"

Silf: "I doubt that we should trust him enough to take him to a sacred grove."

Orange: "Okay. Well, If that's how you feel, then I guess we'll just have to wait here. It's about noon, so I need to pray to The Shalm for my spells. If you'll not disturb me please."

Druid walks a few yards away, crosses his legs, closes his eyes, and appears to enter a trance-state.

The beggar, looking tired, looks around. He spots a tree a hundred or so yards away and says, "You boys have worn me out. I think I'll rest my eyes under that shade-tree yonder." He starts to hobble towards the tree.

Snake: I don't like this one bit... I smell something in the air...

Silf: "So Trilgat, you're a gnome. I take it that means you're an illusionist?"

King: "I'm practicing to be one, but I only know the basics as of yet."

Silf: "I know for a fact that most, or at least many, gnomes are notorious practical jokers. Does that apply to you at all? Do you intend to play any pranks on us during this journey?"

King: "I rather take offense to that. Do I accuse you of being a total snob who "respects nature" too much to keep up to date on technological advancements? No. And besides, I find that "practical jokes" are pretty impractical when investigating spontaneous magical caves."

Silf: "I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I realize that that is a sterotype, and I apologize for my rudeness. I do not have any more questions for you at the moment. Do you have any for me?"

King: "Yes, actually. In what school of magic do you specialize?"

Silf: "I have decide not to pick a school of specialization. I'd rather give up the advantages than not be able to cast from two other schools."

Orange: After about an hour, Druid returns from his meditations. As the group waits for the traveler to regain consciousness, he takes out one of the scrolls the priest gave him and begins studying it. After an hour or two, the traveler stirs, opens his eyes, and yells,
"What? What's going on here? Why aren't I dead?"

Silf: "Don't ask me. I was all for killing you. But they" Jack looks around the group. "Disagreed."

King: "Yeah, we have some questions for you. First of all, who are you and what are you doing here? Secondly, what are all of these dirt patches about?"

Orange: The traveler closes his eyes and begins muttering: "You laid mine enemies out before me; you granted me thrall over this wretched plane; you gave me the strength to crush life out; I did thy will and I slaughtered all innocents..." He keeps repeating this litany over and over again, occasionally adding in or dropping a line or two.

The druid rolls up the scroll he's been studying and walks over to Trilgat and Jack. "I think that if we want any information, we're going to need to be a bit more... persuasive. Any volunteers?"

King: "I'd rather not. On another note, do you happen to have any means of identifying something I found?"

Orange: "...and you rained blood from the skies; your wrath descended on Rienserieux; you made me..." "I doubt it. I'm a druid, not a merchant. '...eat worms; skulls filled the valleys; blood dripped from my scythe; death was...' Unless you mean some plant or animal you found, because then I'm your man." "...intestines; you filled the bones of the innocent wth boiling lead; bile leaked from the eyes of..."

King: "Could someone shut him up until he's ready to talk?"

Orange: Druid Raises an eye-brow. "What, you mean"...kittens; you strangled children with their own viscera; You ate..."knock him out again? Didn't we just"...a sea of feces; disease ran rampant across the land; my arms..."wait for him to get back up? Although, if"...fell off; I choked..."you just meant gag him, yeah, you can do that."...the monkey; I devoured the souls of..."

King: "Yes, I meant gagging him."

Orange: "Have at it."...foetuses; I maimed..."

King: "Hey, I just remembered hearing something one time about how the followers of some death-god always pray in past tense. Maybe that's the case here? Either way we should carry on with the 'persuading'; standing here talking is getting nothing accomplished."

Silf: "I will gladly take him off somewhere and 'persuade' him while you two continue your conversation. I'll try to avoid killing him."

King: "I think Druid was hinting that he had a way to persuade our new 'friend'. There's no need for you to do this alone. Besides, our conversation is over anyway."
"Druid, he's all yours." *indicates towards Traveller*

Orange: Druid looks taken aback. "What? I was insinuating no such thing. If push comes to shove, I have a spell prepared that could be useful, but it seems a shame to waste it. I was hoping some-one else could 'convince' him to talk."
It's hard to forge someone's signature in Times New Roman.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:03 pm

"That aside for the moment though, what was it you had to show me Trilgat?"
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."

Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:59 pm

"Oh, just this." Trilgat pulls out a gold band with a black stone, making sure Traveller doen't see it, and shows it to Druid.
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:48 pm

A wise DM once say 'traveler with eyes closed sees few valuables'.

Druid takes the ring. "Hmm... Well, the shape's too round and regular for obsidian, and I doubt it's onyx; there are no bands of color... I guess it could be opal, but that seems unlikely; black opals are exceedingly rare, and most have some sort of dappling of color. I guess I'd say it could be a black pearl or an extremely dark black diamond. The former would be quite valuable, but the latter, practically worthless. I won't really be able to give you a truly educated opinion without some kind of magnifying device, and even then, I'm no expert. Why do you ask? And where'd you get that?"
"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:13 pm

"I was just wondering what it was; I'm no expert either. I found it over there by where one of my darts fell."
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:17 pm

"Well, my knowledge of minerals is only basic; not many druids specialize in minerals, preferring the more... alive aspects of nature. I've always had a penchant for plants and fungi myself.
Anyway, back to the problem at hand; we need to get our friend here to talk or finish him off. If no-one else is willing to play dirty, I suppose I could.
"
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:33 pm

"Whoa there, buddy. Who said anything about not playing dirty?"

OOC: Also, that first post is massively huge.
Chaos, panic, and disorder...my work here is done.

"Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today
I wish that man would go away."
-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:42 pm

"Well, we need to do some-thing. The longer we leave him, the harder it'll be to get him to talk, and the longer that we leave the beggar, the worse his condition may get. Talk is good, but we need action. And soon."

OODMC: Of course it is, Silf. It's the whole campaign.

DM: You guys really need to get more proactive; I feel like I'm letting the NPCs make all the decisions, and I really don't want that. I know it doesn't help that as of now, there are more NPCs than PCs (Druid, the beggar, Grey Fox), but really. But Fox will soon be gone, and you probably won't be dragging the beggar around for-ever, so...
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:30 pm

"I'll take care of it."

OOC: I just noticed how hideously bright orange text is agaist a dark blue background. Also, I think we might be in trouble without a fighter, unless one of the spellcasters changes class to contegomancer.

-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:21 pm

OODMC: Then take care of it! Are you going to make a bluff check? Will you hit him? do you have a spell to cast? Tell me what you want to do.

Also: Nah, we should be fine. A druid is usually tough enough to hold off a fighter, especially one being sneak-attacked and magic-missiled. Melee classes are redundant when you've got divine spell-casters. :wink:
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:07 pm

OOC: I rough him up some and try to get him to talk.

Also: I knew a druid was a good choice.

-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:28 pm

OODMC; Hmmm... That was pretty open-ended. Next time, be more specific pliss. As it is, I can manage for now.

DM: Jack approaches the traveler, who is still laying on his side, and brusquely asks, "What are you doing here?". The traveler keeps muttering, and Jack pulls back his boot and kicks, catching the traveler on the cheek-bone. The traveler falters a bit, but keeps his litany up. Jack picks him up by his shoulders, and repeats himself, with no greater result than the first time. He roughly pushes the traveler backwards, resulting in his head slamming into the hard-packed summer soil. He stops his chant entirely now, and can be heard quietly moaning. Jack puts his boot on the traveler's throat and says, "Now, when you're ready to talk to me, just blink three times. Until then, this boot doesn't come off.". Jack starts pushing his heel into the traveler's neck. The traveler's eyes goggle out a bit, but remain innocent of any blinking. Then, after about thirty seconds, the traveler's eyes start to roll back into his head, and he finally blinks three times in quick succession. Jack lessens the pressure on his throat, and the traveler coughs, "All right all right! What do you want from me?!".
Last edited by SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:45 pm

"What were you trying to do with those monsters?"

-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:23 pm

"I was just told to come here by Father Cantante DiMorte and kill people as a sacrament. It's not my fault, I was just following orders! It's not my fault!"
Last edited by SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:27 pm

OOC: Man, the purple text against blue background is killer on my eyes.

*muttered under his breath*"Man, this guy is whiny..."
*spoken*"How many people have you killed?"
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:41 pm

"Well, the thralls were given me by Father DiMorte, so the only one was some gnome last Soleday. I was going to reanimate him soon, as soon as I had finished engraving the opals.

Oh, and last week, there was a family of halflings. And a half-orc. I think there was some teenager with his little brother on his way to Tsiplece.

Father DiMorte collected most of those bodies tough. The only one I've got is the gnome... C'mon, you can't keep my tied up like this; what about prisoners' rights?
"

OODMC: Man, that really is nasty... Here.
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby SpriteMeister on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:52 pm

OOC: Thank you

"Oh, how convenient. You gain a few morals when you are the one at the end of his line."
"What's this about the gnome? And the opal, for that matter."
SpriteMeister
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 pm

"Well, as a non-magical man, you might not know that a moderately valuable onyx is required to reanimate a corpse as an undead creature. In my sect, it's traditional to engrave a skull-and-bones motif on the gem before using it. As for the gnome, he was just some merchant. he had some kinda wand, but didn't know well how to use it. The thralls tore him to pieces in no time."
Last edited by SleepingOrange on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Postby Silfedac on Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:02 pm

*To Trilgat* "Excuse me for a second, Trilgat."
*To the man* "Do you have any thralls besides those two?"

-Hugh Means
Silfedac
Regular Poster

Postby SleepingOrange on Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:01 pm

"if I had any, don't you think I would have used them? Why bother keeping reserves? If you kill your enemy the first time around, there's no need for a second. It's not like I could get more on short notice out here in Hickville anyway..."
Death thought about it.

SleepingOrange
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Super Final Fantasy Mario World