Laptop issue

Forum for discussing Emergency Exit, Undead Friend and other works by NJ Huff.

Laptop issue

Postby EmergencyExit on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Taking it out of the other thread, basic summary of the problem is that my laptop's Windows is not valid anymore, and won't let me do anything on it. I requires a Vista Key Code. My laptop did indeed come with a Key Code, but it turns out it was originally made for XP. So I have a useless XP Key Code. The guy who sold me the thing basically can do nothing for me, claiming to be away from the USA for a year. So, I have e-mailed a family member who works for Google to see whether or not they could provide any help. If not, not all is loss. My mother is generously willing to pay the cost for a brand new Vista Key Code to get my tablet working, knowing how much I depend on it for my comic with school and work going on. The cost is $260, so you can understand why I've been trying to find other methods of repairing the issue. Though even paying the $260, the total cost of my tablet PC (which is really nice otherwise) is still way cheaper than buying one brand new, so I have no regrets on getting a use tablet still. Right now we're waiting on Trevor, his answer will determine how soon we get this fixed. I may only update twice next week depending, but hopefully this will get resolved soon. Work is very boring without colouring time (The computers in the lab I work in have no Photoshop). I also hate colouring with a mouse now. My style of shading is all done by a brush so it really hurts your fingers with a mouse after a while, plus less exactness.

Such is what is going on, well leaving out all the other stressful things that went on past two days. So there'll be a comic Sunday, for now enjoy Bean's horrible (but awesome) guest strip.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

GAH SAYA

Postby Cope on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:55 pm

Aw man, computer woes. D:

Good luck with that.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

New Key Code it is

Postby EmergencyExit on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Well we heard back from Trevor, and for a moment we had a really good chance of doing this free.. He had a friend he could hook us up with to get XP installed, we'd just have to reformat the laptop, no biggie there. However, we then realized upon closer examination the Key Code is only good for XP Tablet PC edition. And we know nobody with one of those. So, the code remains useless. We are just going to have to purchase a new Windows Vista Business Key Code (which has tablet PC gear with it). Both my parents have offered to pay for it, and since I just did a big donation drive for this laptop with three people waiting for the rest of their gifts I really don't wanna be going asking for more money yet, I'm going to take my parents up on it. So, hopefully that'll..why does Orion feel the need to SHOW me his bleeding nose..get fixed this week. However, updates will probably be less/sporadic this week because of this issue plus general busy school stuff. But next week things should be a-OK again.

When purchasing used computers, always try to get the right key code.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

I hate that guy who sold me this

Postby EmergencyExit on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:24 pm

Well yay guess what? I can't actually buy a Key Code for my laptop Vista. Because we have none of the original information for the Vista especially not with it locked up currently. I hate the guy who sold me this for illegally putting Vista onto a XP laptop or just not registering properly or not giving me anything and saying he's out of the country for a year and unable to help me. Screw that guy to hell.

Bean ALMOST was my savior as he is the only person I knew who has a XP Tablet PC Edition, which we have a Key Code for. However the CDs are in Ashland, about 6 hours away from us packed who knows where. So close.

But some good news. We can still just reformt the damn thing and buy a whole new system. It's actually a bit cheaper than getting just a keycode anyway. A different version of Vista that still supports tablet PCs is about $230 or so at Best Buy so same plan is basically in action. Just really pissed at the guy who sold me the thing. Cause it's a good working laptop and everything, great condition all that. He just screwed it up with lack of proper activation. Blar.

Now Bean is going home next week, and then could ship us the XP CDs, but we'd have to wait a few weeks then to get everything working and for the sake of EE I'd rather get it working asap. We're not even 100% sure the key code for it would work anyway. I'm not really losing anything I can't just put back onto the tablet either thankfully.

So such is that. New EE probably Wednesday btw.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Woo!

Postby EmergencyExit on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:18 pm

Ok, laptop is teh fixed. Cost about $240, a bit less than expected. Everyone has my parents to thank for that. Got to colour the last portion of today's comic on it which was nice. God, not including any heavy special effect pages from the PD crossover this page took me the longest to colour. So many lines to fill. But I think my naturey stuff came out rather well. I really need to stop doing such huge pages though : P. Right now I am expecting to update Saturday next, then next week back to 3x. Just between being sick off and on, family stuff, butterfly project and fixing this damn thing I needed to update only twice. Also this page was crazy time consuming. Anyway, enjoy.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm

Thank you NJ's parents! :D
Collecting evil laughter since 1993
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Return to EE Comics