Artists who inspire me

Forum for discussing Emergency Exit, Undead Friend and other works by NJ Huff.

Artists who inspire me

Postby EmergencyExit on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:56 pm

Was too tired to do anything really productive so wrote this instead, the top 10 comic artists who have inspired my work.

http://www.eecomics.net/inspirations.htm
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:00 am

That's pretty cool. I don't know if I could list 10 people that have influenced me. There are a handful for sure, but really I just pick up a pencil and draw, and in my travels if I see someone use a technique I like, I'll play with it.

I guess that's what I get for not having gone to art school.

EDIT: I think I'm going to think about this and maybe do a LJ post (I haven't posted much this week), so thanks for inspiring me to think about inspiration!
In due time, there will be something here. Other than this sentence that is.
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Artsy Skool

Postby EmergencyExit on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:49 am

Hehe, woot. Actually I only have just started art school myself, these are just artists I've read since I was a kid. When I was first introduced to Anime at like age 9 I knew what I wanted to do for the rest of my life, sorry Paranormal Investigator comics outdid you. But I seriously take something away from just about everything. I'm hoping I take away allot more from Art school (like freaking perspective). I'm only in first term so haven't hit much yet. I get to make silly things in my 3D class though (currently working on making a giant dragonfly from a toy sword).
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 am

Yeah, I guess it's not just not doing art school, but there was a about a 5 year period where I just didn't draw at all. Before that, I still can't honestly say I had any inspirations. I think I tried to imitate several people (Gary Larson, Bill Watterson, etc.), but not much ever really stuck with me.

Actually, I was having a conversation about this with someone and I realized that the whole lack of inspiration thing carries over into other aspects of my life. I guess I'm more of a control freak than I thought!
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Learn from others

Postby EmergencyExit on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:20 am

Well I find it really helps to not try to do everything on your own, even if it's just using drawing references occasionally. Books can be a good substitute for lack of classes. For me some of the most helpful things have been the Hogarth series, maybe he should have been on my list now that I think about it. I don't read his actual comics but I study his work.

Man he has a Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery, I'm not entirely sure what that is but I want it.

I only own the Dynamic Figure and Hands books, which I need to study more but even the little I have done has improved my work allot.

EDIT: As I thought, the Wrinkles and Drapery is entire book on detailing clothing on people. I totally want that.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:23 pm

We have Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery. I've looked through it a few times, but never really studied it. I tend to look around me for physical references when I'm drawing.

Going back to something you said earlier, though, I totally need a book on perspective. Oy vay...
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Perspective

Postby EmergencyExit on Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:43 pm

The Hograth books I use mostly for the intrsuctual reading not much for actual references. They can have helpful tips and methods of seeing stuff around you differently. In regards to a book on Perspective, I have a pretty neat book called Perspective for Comic Artists. However it's a subject that's really hard to grasp, at least for me. The very little bit of proper perspective I have comes from that, but damn I've read it like 50 times and it's still a challenge. But its all set up in a comic book format which is pretty helpful to see everything in action.

NJ loves her drawing books it seems, you'd think I'd be better at this.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Re: Artsy Skool

Postby Eheheh on Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 pm

EmergencyExit wrote:(currently working on making a giant dragonfly from a toy sword).

Completely derailing the conversation to say - I now want one of these. :)

I now return you to your regularly scheduled art-geek conversation.
Collecting evil laughter since 1993
Eheheh
Regular Poster

It's still flyish

Postby EmergencyExit on Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:05 pm

Well I turned it into a butterfly instead. Still haven't taken a picture of my quilt either but the projects haven't been EE related.

EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Are those car window shades?

Looks good anyhow. :D
Collecting evil laughter since 1993
Eheheh
Regular Poster

So that IS what there are...

Postby EmergencyExit on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Ingredients:

Body is light saber rip off.
Wings are cut from a child's mini basketball hoop stand, lower wings are the car shades.
Decorations on wings are two burnt CDs (with music from Initial D), two matching bot holders or something, the insides to a velcro ball catching set and 6 pogs (two white power rangers, cat, dog, wildcat and whale)
Antenna: Arms of glasses.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Return to EE Comics