What is it, dodgy navigation day?

Forum for discussing Emergency Exit, Undead Friend and other works by NJ Huff.

What is it, dodgy navigation day?

Postby Eheheh on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:32 pm

Okay, first the UF archive navigation is warped and now when I try to reply to threads here I end up at the CG forum index page? Is this happening to anyone else?

*goes to look for an official 'CG forums bugs' thread*
Collecting evil laughter since 1993
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Everything goes crazy here

Postby EmergencyExit on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 pm

I have no idea I've had no troubles TODAY but I know plenty some up and about. Check the Help Forums.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 am

Maybe you shouldn't do things when you're drunk. ;-)
In due time, there will be something here. Other than this sentence that is.
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Moi? Drunk? Even were I inclined to get drunk I wouldn't do it at work. :P

But seems to be working okay today. Very strange.
Eheheh
Regular Poster

The CG way

Postby EmergencyExit on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:25 pm

This year everything CG related has been whacky. One way or other I believe I'll be going off of CG next year, either via Spotted or me going independent.

Speaking of, roofpig since you've been so friendly over here I've been meaning to ask you about the service you use, how it is in general for you, it's been one of the hosts I've considered.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:58 am

1&1 is a great hosting service. In the near 2 years I've been using them for Bardsworth, I think there have only been 2 server crashes, and both times it was fixed in a matter of a couple of hours. The prices are really good (I actually forget what I'm paying because I'm on auto bill pay; I think it's like $25 per 6 months or something, but you can get cheaper plans) and they load you up with all sorts of options and free software to use. And I've only dealt with their customer service on one occasion, but they were pretty quick to respond and very helpful.

I had thought about doing ComicGenesis (well, back then it was KeenSpace), but I'm too much of a control freak. Of course, I traded potential readers and networking for more freedom, but hey, what can you do?

And don't ever hesitate to ask any questions! I'm always happy to help out. :-)
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:17 am

roofpig wrote:Of course, I traded potential readers and networking for more freedom, but hey, what can you do?

Heh. I think that's true in the beginning but that when they get older CG comics are taken less seriously as they're on a free server anyone can use. Then again, EE is quite popular as far as CG comics go.

And hmm. That 1&1 deal sounds nifty.

And Eheheh, the forums have been going slower for me and been down for a few minutes at a time during these past few days, but nothing too bad.
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Woo info!

Postby EmergencyExit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:43 am

The CG forums weren't working for me last night, so something is probably up.

CG is good for getting readers from other CG comics, all that free advertising within the community like the newsbox, dropdowns, group activities etc. But at a certain point you can't really do any better with just that alone. It's getting past CG that can be tougher cause some people do have attitudes towards the free hosting companies. While CG has for a while been the biggest of its kind, its reputation has taken a major blow this year from the server crash and all the problems that followed.

So it's good to hear about the minimal server issues with your host roofpig, looking at host options I have found some pretty cool looking deals but don't know anyone to ask how the server issues are handled. 2 server crashes fixed in a couple of hours sounds heavenly compared to the 1 server crashed that took 4 months and still isn't completely fixed. I'll have to look up the website later and check their other offers, thanks for the info and if I need any more questions answered I'll come to you.

It was always a dream of mine since before I started EE to get spotted, Keenspot was how I discovered webcomics. But I applied last November and no word back, and with all the issues with CG it's really hurting my readership, I'm at about 2100 readers now and I need to look elsewhere off CG to get new readers. Seems like lately every time I buy ad space the site goes down. The next time something seriously goes wrong with CG I'm looking to switch over. It'll take some donation support from the readers to get me started but I think they'll appreciate a more reliable webcomic.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:22 pm

Have you looked into Project Wonderful for bringing in readers? A $5.00 run can last you a few days if you play your cards right, and it can bring in a good handful of people. It's a little complicated to use at first, but it gets easier and their customer service is pretty good.

And worry not - I do plan on Spotlighting your comic, so hopefully that'll send some people your way. :-)
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Stupid ad space

Postby EmergencyExit on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Like I said before, I've been having bad luck this summer with buying ads and having the site go down at the same time. Project Wonderful Ads were some of those, the recent Red String ad was another incident. It seems I have just been waisting money, as I cannot rely on when CG is working or not.

Though on a personal note I hate Project Wonderful.

And thanks for the spotlighting, Bardsworth is on my list to be spotlighted on my site too.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm

roofpig wrote:1&1 is a great hosting service. In the near 2 years I've been using them for Bardsworth, I think there have only been 2 server crashes

Wait, you write Barsworth? I just found that a couple of weeks ago! It's brilliant. :D

Also, apparently today I can post replies if I quote a previous post, but if I hit the 'reply'button I get re-routed to the index page again, same as before.
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:14 pm

Now that's just weird. I wonder if it's a problem with your account. If it keeps up for a long time I'd ask in the Help Forums.
Also it could maybe be a connection thing, so if you get a chance to use someone else's computer you could test that theory.
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eheheh on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:32 am

That was on my work computer, currently working fine from my home one.
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Postby Roofpig on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:10 am

Eheheh wrote:Wait, you write Barsworth? I just found that a couple of weeks ago! It's brilliant. :D

Danke! :-) I only hope I can keep it up as long (and as good) as NJ.

As for your navigation problem, are you using a different browser at work than at home? Probably not the solution, but I always try to find the simplest answer.
Roofpig
Regular Poster

Postby Eheheh on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Gah! Typo! :oops:

But sometimes it works fine at work, and other times it doesn't. And I'm pretty sure I use the same browser at home, maybe a different version, I'm not sure, but it's all essentially the same. Oh well, guess I'll just have to put up with it if it continues to happen, not like it's life threatening or anything.
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Postby The Mortician on Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:25 am

Hmm, I don't see anything.
The Mortician
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eheheh on Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:43 pm

The Mortician wrote:Hmm, I don't see anything.

Well, I'm at work again, and it's happened again. Must be something to do with my work computer I guess. Oh well. O course, technically I shouldn't be on here at work, but there's little enough else to do. :wink:
Eheheh
Regular Poster

Weird

Postby EmergencyExit on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:29 pm

roofpig wrote:And worry not - I do plan on Spotlighting your comic, so hopefully that'll send some people your way. :-)

Woo I see my spotlight went up, thanks. Though I noticed you said I messaged you about the URL being wrong..I never did that was news to me by reading your update. Who told you the URL was wrong cause it sounds like they were impersonating me if they used my name. Just found that really weird.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Re: Weird

Postby Eheheh on Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:35 pm

EmergencyExit wrote:
roofpig wrote:And worry not - I do plan on Spotlighting your comic, so hopefully that'll send some people your way. :-)

Woo I see my spotlight went up, thanks. Though I noticed you said I messaged you about the URL being wrong..I never did that was news to me by reading your update. Who told you the URL was wrong cause it sounds like they were impersonating me if they used my name. Just found that really weird.

Erm... I believe that was me. And I'm pretty sure I didn't use your name, I can see no reason why I would have.
Eheheh
Regular Poster

The truth!

Postby EmergencyExit on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:09 pm

Ah ok. Weird, roofpig you are silly Eheheh is not me!
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Next

Return to EE Comics