NOW RECRUITING – Hired Guns!

A place to talk of things parallel and demented.

NOW RECRUITING – Hired Guns!

Postby 834n on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:28 pm

This is something like when I asked for people to fill the Templar ranks. However, this one's a little different, and I must admit the roles offered are less grand (I have mentioned before that there will be something along the lines of recruiting again, this actually isn't it. When THAT ones comes it shall be quite bigger!)

What I need are 10 to 12 mercenaries (one per person please), hired guns, contract killers, etc. They don't need to all be from the same organization (though that is possible, given that in stories like this large Merc Corps exist) though they will all end up working together for the same cause/ employer/ mission.

Unfortunately these fellows will be a lot more expendable than their Templar counterparts, but should have a good run nonetheless.

Given the role of these mercs, I need all humans with the ability to fight. They may be equipped with modern to slightly futuristic weaponry and gear, and as PD has always been, old fashioned things like melee weapons are perfectly acceptable. However I do not want any of these characters to posses magic or other supernatural powers that even some of the human Templar carry. They can have moderate cybernetic enhancements, mechanical limbs, crude laser weaponry (if you want lasers, say so, and I'll explain how they work in PD), etc, but no magic.

Characters can be versions of yourself, cameos from your own comic, RPG, story, whatever, or made up from scratch for this project.
Everyone is welcome to make a character (until I get how many I want), even those who made Templar.
As far as cameos go, I can modernize fantasy or far-future characters if that's what you have available, and non-humans that look humanish (such as elves and the like) can simply be human for this role.

As with the Templar:
I'll use any submitted characters as I see fit, might kill them, and will credit the creator upon their introduction.

Please fill this out for your Mercenary:

Forum Name:
Character Name:
Height (I need this for comparison):
Physical Description:
Image of Character (optional):
Personality Description:
Weapon(s):
Skill(s)*:
Other gear:

*Skills are things like being a good pilot, medic, mechanic, sneak, etc. Stuff like that.

Thank you, we'll start seeing these characters in about a year's time (I just script about that far ahead and will need to write for these guys soon)
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sincerely on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:12 pm

I will volunteer one of my characters for this, but for the sake of suspending your anticipation I will not actually fill out your vile form YET. I will wait until I am feeling less lazy to do it, and maybe when I'm serious about doing one of my comics again.

Feel free to re-prod me in chat, if you like.
Sincerely
Ice Queen

Postby 834n on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:38 pm

You will be SO re-prodded!

But thanks :D
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lei on Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Forum Name: Do you mean comic? I'm gonna go with Equinox.
Character Name: Johann Günther
Height: Veeerrrry tall and skinny.
Physical Description: Tall, thin, with a narrow face and jutting chin. Spiky, short blonde hair with stubble and sideburns, blue eyes, and a nose that has obviously been broken on multiple occasions.
Image of Character: See my sig, and comic. (He's on, like, every page)
Personality Description: Johann is fairly laid back, but errs on the side of caution in most matters. He isn't a pessimist - just a realist. Who enjoys making a lot of snarky comments. He also fancies himself something of a ladies' man, but most of his endeavors go unnoticed.
Weapon(s): Sniper Rifle. A mace in close quarters, I suppose.
Skill(s)*: Sniper, and/or that guy that sits in a van nice and far away and tells everyone what to do via walkie-talkie while munching on chips and looking at po– er, computer screens.
Other gear: Guitar. :lol: :P
Lei
Regular Poster

Postby Marko on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:41 pm

oh! oh! so in!

Forum Name: uh... Marko?
Character Name: Kip
Height (I need this for comparison): 6'1"
Physical Description: Tall and slim with blond hair and blue eyes, a large nose, and an evil grin. Wears a plain dark grey shirt, and khaki cargo pants, with fancy dress shoe. He's also left handed, so holds weapon, item, whatever in his left hand.
Image of Character (optional): http://www.roomiescomic.com/comic299.jpg (frame 4)
Personality Description: Evil and twisted, he's a pyromaniac that loves to blow things up. He will generally charge into a fray first, kill, kill, maim, and do a little killing, then hope something survived to ask questions to. If not, he doesn't care.
Weapon(s): Beam saber (light saber, energy sword, *large powerful shock stick*), fancy BMW Lighter, and explosives.
Skill(s)*: Explosives, one handed sword fighting, advanced computer skills, and interrogation (mainly torture).
Other gear: Usually carries in his pockets a couple sticks of dynamite, his signature lighter, a pistol that he never uses, a few tidbits of networking cable, duct tape, and a screwdriver.
Last edited by Marko on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marko

Postby 834n on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:09 am

Heheh. Sorry about the Forum Name thing. It's... kinda redundant, isn't it? :P
At least until I copy and paste all the character forms into one place.

Anyhoo, those two will work well, Lei and Marko.

Though Marko, I don't think that a beam saber is too appropriate. At least not one with the classic star wars design. Maybe something else like a powerful shock stick, a finely made sword, or some other melee weapon could work. If the beam sword is key to the character then we can work something out, but basically lasers in PD are these guns that use a whole battery and overheat for one shot, though that shot can pierce nearly any armor and has incredible range.

Mercs so far:
Johann Günther
Kip
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Hmm...

Postby Aquamantor on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:06 am

I'm actually writing a story where one of the main characters is a mercenary...but that's fantasy. Damn it! Time to think for a second...I'm good at coming up with crazy characters like this. :x
Alright...Alright...Alright...since I think that everyone who knows about this story will get an absolute KICK out of this, I'll de-fantasize him.

don't know what you mean by forum name...so I'll just skip thatt...
Character Name: Harkariel
Height: 5'8
Physical Description: Is very young, around 20. He has short black hair and skin so pale that it's practically ghost-white. His features are mostly asian other than that, with very thin, kind of sinister looking black eyes. He almost always wears a black one of those round, pointed Chinese hats. (if they had an official name, I would use it.) He all-but outright refuses to wear anything but black, and he usually wears loose, black cloth with hard leather hidden underneath, the loose cloth is tightened in some places with belt-like bands. There is one that goes diagonally across his chest like a commando belt, one that goes across his waist, and two very small ones on his arms between his wrists and elbows. (In the actual version of the story, he wears a robe with the leather armor underneath...but like I said, I'm de-fantasizing him)
Personality Description: Extremely pessimistic and depressed, he won't let you go a day without letting it slip that he hates the world and everything in it...including himself. He is very foul-mouthed, but despite that is actually pretty intelligent. He says exactly what is on his mind at all times, which usually involves throwing (surprisingly clever) insults at just about anyone for any reason he can think of...especially people who are happy or stupid, which he considers to be the exact same thing. One of his most prevalent quotes is: "Optimism is a disease. It's like being retarded...except you're happy."
Weapons: Harkariel carries a very, VERY sharp katana capable of cutting through solid rock, even iron, easily, and he REALLY knows how to use it. Unfortunately, in the modern world, you can't get around just by swinging your sword, and he carries a handgun as well, which he uses a lot more often than he'd like to.
Skills: (Don't know if this counts but...) He has practiced hard to learn how to charge an enemy using a gun while never getting hit. The secret is to constantly, and completely unpredictably, zigzag as you run, while moving so fast that they barely have time to fire. This has allowed him to end a fight very quickly before, but it doesn't work if the enemy is too far away.
Aquamantor
Regular Poster

Postby Marko on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:35 am

A large shock stick would work just fine and dandy.
Marko

Postby Aquamantor on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:03 am

Marko wrote:A large shock stick would work just fine and dandy.

Large Shock sticks don't cut people in half:)
edit: new idea: the sword is a molecular cutter
Aquamantor
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:17 am

Heh. I think he means the stick is to replace his beam sword, not your katana. If not I may be confused.

An a molecular cutter is fine by me, especially since his fighting style revolves around his sword, rather than it being a side arm.

Mercs so far:
Johann Günther - Sniper/ Tactician
Kip - Demolitions/ Backup Fighter
Harkariel - Melee Fighter
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Marko on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:13 am

yeah... I uh meant for Kip.
Marko

Postby Aquamantor on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 am

Yay molecular cutters! I've been obsessed with them ever since I saw Full Metal Panic. :D I know Harkariel's kind of a weird name, but for the sake of recognition, I don't want to change it. I'm going to let this be a surprise to my friend who reads this comic every once in a while. Can't wait to see his reaction. :)
I'm also glad that it's a smaller, quick part rather than a more permanent side-character role like all the Templar. I wouldn't want him hanging around in PD forever, he's got his own things to do. :P
Aquamantor
Regular Poster

Postby Fesworks on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:34 pm

I like the idea, and would love to jump on this, but I don't think any of my characters would be accociated with the Templar, since my characters are pagan :P
Fesworks Hub Site: http://www.Fesworks.com
Fesworks
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:45 pm

These mercenaries are not Templar, just hired guns.

And the Templar are not all religious folk. In fact, a good deal of them are not. They take their name from "holy" warriors because they thought it best represented them as a group that battles an "evil". And they use crosses or other holy objects because they are useful against what they fight.

However, these items are not blessed by them, rather by outside sources. Likewise while demons and angles exist, the Templar see them as a product of the belief of religious people, like holy items and places.

In the PD world, and for Nightmare races, belief can be reality. And because it is so widely believed that many religious or superstitious items effect certain creatures, it works.

Sorry, had to clear that up.
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fesworks on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:06 pm

ok, that makes sense. I guess I could see about doing something then. The character of mine in question, appears are a Anthro-Humanoid Bear (a Fur) in my comic, but has a human form as well, but has not been disclosed yet... although he technically uses magic to do this... (technically he is a spirit inhabiting a Homunculis body of his own image) but for all purposes of his usage, he'd be a normal living, bleeding human (I can leave all of the reasoning on my end when I do his back story... or I could also just suspend the reasoning and not connect both comic scenerios at all ;) :P )

In short, he could die if you needed him to. He also would not use any magic powers (since according to his back story, he's too drained to use magic anyway, but would still have his natural abilities... some perhaps heightened).

well, a lot of talk there :P but he'd be the only character that would work... I'll see about typing up the entry unless you think I'm already too crazy :P
Fesworks
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:12 pm

Nah, you're not too crazed. As long as he look human it works for this role :D
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fesworks on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:13 pm

Hoo boy... I hope this isn't too much... open to suggestion for modifications... but this is basically how this character is.

Forum Name: Fesworks

Character Name: Reevo Arth Von Liam

Height: 6ft 2in.

Physical Description: Male, european decent. Tall, broad shouldered, good muscles, but also has a bit of a gut. Appears to be in his 40s, possibly 50s. Facial hair (I'll make a proper description when I draw him later). Built kinda like a Bear or an Ox. Also the tops of his ears look as though they were both bitten off.

Clothing? depends on the times I guess, But I have him wearing a cloak and very old clothes... medievil? Could look like a weirdo merc cos-player or something... could and to his look... if you prefer more modern I can make a new clothing model.

Long-sleeved shirt underneath. Wears a thin-chained pentacle around his neck (or if you'd prefer, I'll make it a medallian to avoid conflict/argument), Wears boots.

Image of Character (optional):Image

Feel completely free to update the wardrobe as you see fight, though I prefer a cloak or long coat at last. The bracers are a must. The Polearm weapon can be converted into whatever "long" (pref pole-type) weapon you think would be appropriate.

Personality Description: He is a very patient person. Works hard to keep his word and promises. If he had given his word and it becomes contrary to his honor.. or somehow to another word, he'd be faced with a great internal conflict.

Prefers to fight upclose. He however believes in a fair fight and honor. Would not run from a fight. Doesn't think much about himself really... he's a protector by nature, but loves to face an foe that could be stronger than him. He would not want to fight weaklings, but would finish any fighter that would engage him. He really is better at defense than offense. He's stronger (desperate?) in a fight if he know's he's protecting something other than himself. He matters the least to himself.... probably why he constantly looks for something to protect or be of service to.

If the enemy begs for mercy, quite possibly he would spare him (bound him or imprison him, depending on the goal/orders). But he is also unforgiving if his enemy is dishonorable.

A mess of character flaws can be made out of this, but he would never sacrifice his own honor, even if he was ordered to, say, slay a child, by his employer. He would never cause harm or allow harm to a child.

Why is he a Merc? He has his personal reasons, but he also has his honor. Which could be a quite hindering character flaw depending of how you plan this whole storyline to be.

Weapon(s): He wears black metal bracers on his forearms. good for deflection and gaurding. He also favors a polearm as a weapon... technically its a magical form-changing polearm... shrinks to 6 in. cylander when not use, and expands into a various type of polearm when in use... but I don't think there is a science explainable equivalent... so I can just make it a single type of polearm.
(Will be drawn in later as well)

Skill(s): Patient. Worldy (knows lost of little things). Great knowledge of plant medicine, and caring for wounds and injuires.

Other gear: He caries various medicines, wraps and such on his person. Not an endless supply, but maybe enough for one or two feild dressings or treatments.
Last edited by Fesworks on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fesworks
Regular Poster

Postby Sincerely on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Forum Name: sincerely
Character Name: Cody Zentner
Height: 5'11"
Physical Description: short, unruly white-blonde hair; blue eyes; roundish face with an upturned nose. He likes to look presentable. Suits 'n ties 'n shit.
Image of Character (optional): No! You remember him.
Personality Description: Cody is smart and charismatic. He's not skeptical at all, but he does think very logically, so he tends to run into trouble when encountering the supernatural.
Weapon(s): A pistol, I'm not very picky. Also, he's handy in a fist fight.
Skill(s)*: Cody was a marine, so he's got a lot of the requisite combat skills from that. He keeps in shape.
Other gear: Nothing out of the ordinary.
Sincerely
Ice Queen

Postby 834n on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:44 pm

fesworks wrote:Clothing? depends on the times I guess, But I have him wearing a cloak and very old clothes... medievil? Could look like a weirdo merc cos-player or something... could and to his look... if you prefer more modern I can make a new clothing model.

Hmm. If you're okay with it then yeah, I would prefer a more moder set of clothing.
fesworks wrote:Wears a thin-chained pentacle around his neck (or if you'd prefer, I'll make it a medallian to avoid conflict/argument)

Pentacle's fine.

sincerely wrote:he does think very logically, so he tends to run into trouble when encountering the supernatural.

Odds are most of these mercenaries don't know about the supernatural anyway! WOO!

Alright, both of those are good.

Mercs so far:
Johann Günther - Sniper/ Tactician
Kip - Demolitions/ Backup Fighter
Harkariel - Melee Fighter
Reevo - Melee/ Medic
Cody Zentner - All Around Soldier
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aquamantor on Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:00 pm

Wow... :lol: Maybe I'm being obsessive here, but Reevo sounds like the exact kind of guy that Harkariel would HATE.
Edit: Yes, yes I am being obsessive...I'll shut up now :lol:
Aquamantor
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Parallel Dementia