My Novel: Bendrokk

The offical message board of The Forsaken webcomic; a place to discuss all things Interactual.

My Novel: Bendrokk

Postby Arcnaver on Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Ok, so I think this is a better spot to discuss Tolkien and get advice on my own book instead of hijacking James Thread.

I still havent worked out a good solid story line, I do know I want it to be 3 volumes/books, what have you, as publishers seem to demand that from first timers. I havent figured a good title yet, due to lack of a good plot. However I do know some things.

1. The Races of Mar.
a. Humans, they play a role, but not sure what it is yet.
b. Dwarves, this story is about them and their struggles.
c. Orcs, the main protagonists and main hero.
I. 1 bad race of Orcs
II. 1 good race of Orcs
d. Elves may or may not play a role, but do exist.
2. There is a universal "God" if you will that most of the races attest to and have their own religion based upon. Their is also other religions as well, such as spiritualism and the worship of the Earth, like American Indian type stuff.
a. Mar was a prophet and a "Savior" type. Though not Godly in nature. Just a normal person, not like Christ was, you know, son of man thing. Mar is dead and was pivitol in bringing a balance to the world in an earlier almost forgotten age. The Dwarven religion is based mainly on him and believe him to be of the Dwarven Race, though this may not be true.
b. Men are Monodiety. Havent worked them out yet. They are awaiting the savior and some confusion about if he has shown up in the form of the Dwarven Mar has caused much strife. Many say that their is another. The Dwarves dont beleive this and think it blaspheme.
c. Orcs worship Nature much like the American Indians. The beings they worship are very real and are Angelic and demonic figures mistaken for Gods. Depending if your good or bad, will determine what your eyes behold and summon.
d. Elves, ancient of Days, not to say the other Races are not, however their longevity allowed their Lore to survive more intact then the other Races. Not much is known of whom or what they worship, they themselves have been mistaken for Angelic Beings from time to time.

WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE.

Dwarven Race.
Typical I suppose, a short people, ranged from 3 to 5 feet, mainly somewhere in the 4's. Dangerouse and powerful in either configuration. Very industrious, good in the working of woods and forging of metels. Both bearded and unbearded, though one would be hard pressed to find one without a beard. Handy with all manor of weapons, specifically the War Hammer and of course, the Axes, though I intend on not being boring by sticking to this. Their are several races of Dwarves. Some dwell in the Hill while others prefer the lowlands, then their are those who seldom come forth from the caves.

Humans.
I havent decided if they will be molded on midevil times or not. But I think that maybe they will be, to keep things simple. about 5 foot 10 average height.

Orcs.
Bad guys. Roaming, earthdwellers. Tall as a man and taller ranging from 5 to 7 feet in average. Bipedal hardly stooping. Though many do. Green and Brown skinned. Think of the American Indians and you have it pegged. Living so close to thier Human and Dwarven cousins, has caused much tension and sparked many a war. Not book smart, sticking to Lore tradition handed down by mouth. Crude writing system. The Sha-men are the teachers of the tribes.

Good Orcs. To be revealed later. Not necessarily more intellegent, for they have the same capabilities, but more learned. A mixture of Spritualism and Monodiety. Havent worked it totally out yet. Grey skin. Live to the east in the Greylands. Will make an appearance in the Story line.

Elves.
Very humanlike in height. Charactorized by striking silver hair and eyes.
Though many variations occure naturally, but this is what one thinks when Elves are even mentioned. Are adept in technologies that seem very magical and most races beleive them to be Magic, though they are not.

Other Beast. To be determined at this point.

I need to construct languages. I have trifled with the idea of having east Asian influences in one of more of the languages and some Welsh or Norse I beleive. Havent really made up my mind. I need to get it figured out, so I can start giving proper names. The Orcs should be simple, based on American Indian Petroglyphics. Though the Dwarven Language will be tough. Elvish, who knows and the Humans will be a simplified English I think. I in no way want this to resemble Tolkien. Baring the Obvoisness of the Races. However, I dont think making a race up that looks like an Elf but calling it another name, is a good thing, that would be seen through immediatly. Also, Im not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

;)
Arg! Me Name Be Adam... ARRRG!!
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:07 am

i'm glad you took the orc route instead of elves. elf stories are so common these days. although any subject matter done well is worth reading. I've heard it said that tolkien's best friend once told him "not another f-ing story about elves."
The Forsaken - Updating Mondays. Mostly.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:01 am

Last thing I wanted, was another LOTR clone. I took this list and actually worked on it for a few hours last night. Im adding Tauren's, spelled Tauran in my world, Hey I Own it.. hehe and Trolls, Goblins Giants and what not. Giving each a short description as to what they look like and do. Ill go back later and give each a thurough???? work through. I didnt want them to be Tolkien style. For instance, the Goblins, Have no clothing to speak of and they are Chameleons basically. They have 4 lips that give them dexterity, actually the same as us humans, but split in half on the upper and lower.

Get my drift?...

I am also going to add a new race, similar to the Tauran, havent worked out a name, but they will be Horselooking instead and bitter enemies of the Taurans.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:14 pm

arcnaver wrote:Did a search and found it. Might be a good resource.

I noticed one thing while reading the book, 1, the movies just kinda resemble the actual book story, funny, they said it held true to the books, but alas, not so. And 2, he doesnt go into deep detail when describing what the characters look like, I thought he would have been more descriptive. Not that that is a dissapointing thing, I just expected otherwise, it actually helps the book flow. So i may have to find a good balance, as I tend to describe the heck out of things.

That's the one. If Jackson had had filmed it true to the book it probably would have gone on for another 12 hours (I would have loved it) when it comes to description it comes down to is it important to the story or can I get away with letting them use there imagination.

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake is very descriptive on characters and sourundings so you see what the author wants you to see where Tolkien gives you the tools to imagine what they look like.

I believe that Ian McKellan did an excellent portrayal of Gandalf but I have also seen hundreds of other interpretations that are different but still have the essance of Gandalf.

I like the outline of you world view, similar to the world itself. People may make referance to Tolkien but, Middle Earth is based on the world itself. Tolkien did a great job creating a realistic fantasy world that if your world is compared to Tolkien's then you did a good job creating a realistic fantasy world.
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Re: My Novel: Bendrokk

Postby Koto on Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:27 pm

arcnaver wrote:I need to construct languages. I have trifled with the idea of having east Asian influences in one of more of the languages and some Welsh or Norse I beleive. Havent really made up my mind. I need to get it figured out, so I can start giving proper names. The Orcs should be simple, based on American Indian Petroglyphics. Though the Dwarven Language will be tough. Elvish, who knows and the Humans will be a simplified English I think. I in no way want this to resemble Tolkien. Baring the Obvoisness of the Races. However, I dont think making a race up that looks like an Elf but calling it another name, is a good thing, that would be seen through immediatly. Also, Im not trying to reinvent the wheel either.

;)

It seems traditional to model dwarven language on norse/anglo runic alaphabet, it's a question of wanting to carry on the tradition. Tolkiens elves had different languages based on their heritage. I would describe his dark elves and orcs as having a east asian language, grey elves as a middle eastern semetic language, and high elves as latin.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:07 pm

I had in mind to have a race or two have east asian language, due mostly to the fact that my wife is Taiwanese, so It would be easy to construct it, or come up with some words that made sense.

I have flirted with the idea of also having the Dwarves have Breton Names and language charactoristics. Im not sure how much of the language I would actually need to construct however. Could I get by with a few catch phrases, which in my opinion would seem cheap and lack depth, or should I really construct something.

Deep Thoughts. lol.

Anyways, I like describing the world in what I write, which is my downfall at points, because I get caught up on , ok how do I describe what I see in my mind without losing sight of the story.

Tolkien seems to leave a lot to the imagination, which is awesome in itself.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:59 pm

seemed to me that the Fellowship of the Ring movie followed the book a lot closer than either of the other two movies. lots of dialog was taken straight out of the book. Aside from the timeframe (frodo being much older, etc) and thom bombadil/wight downs, it actually was about as close as anyone could get it, I think.

I was quite upset when I watched the 2 towers. The ending really peeved me because it happened waaaay too soon in relation to the book. I assumed (correctly) that return of the king would be so damn busy with tying up all the loose ends that they would have to cut super-important things out (i.e. sarumon!, thoromir's love interest, the king's healing, etc etc etc). but hey, at least Shadowfax got a cameo. :P
The Forsaken - Updating Mondays. Mostly.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:17 pm

When they did the triliogy they opted to follow Appendix "B" The Tale of Years. The Fellowship went to Febuary 26th, The Towers from Feb. 27th to March 4th, and The King wraps it up. It still was better then the original "animated" version which I have (complete) on laser disc (about the size of a scanner and 1/4' thick) I no longer however have the player to watch it and don't want to buy the dvd (yet)

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Return to Forsaken, The