The Novel

The offical message board of The Forsaken webcomic; a place to discuss all things Interactual.

The Novel

Postby Arcnaver on Tue May 29, 2007 7:31 am

"Lastly, I've committed myself to a new project. I'm going to re-write my novel, which is actually the progenitor to the Forsaken…and is set about thirty years later. I submitted the manuscript to several publishers but I've not heard anything yet so I figured I'd tweak on it a bit. I should still have plenty of time to do my weekly Forsaken update."

Good luck on that. Dont go overboard though, I know its hard not to do, but your story was really good as it was. However I understand the want and need to make it better. Not trying to discourage, but to encourage. You got a good imagination bud. One of these day, Im hoping soon after the house it built, Ill have my office put up so I can actually "WRITE" my novel/muse. Good luck, you have created an awesome world with endless possibilities and substories.
Arg! Me Name Be Adam... ARRRG!!
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 am

no, I definitely don't want to go overboard. Quite the opposite, in fact. I realized that I needed to reign in the story a little and actually make it just a complete tale in and of itself... no more 'first in a series of three' mumbo jumbo... mainly because it's hard enough for an unpublished writer to get published with a complete story and i'm really stacking the deck against myself with the whole trilogy thing.

no, i want it to be less of an epic about a secret weapon that saves the world and more of a story about a girl that is more special than she realizes and how she makes a difference. sometimes less is more, and in this day and age there are so many 'savior' stories I really don't feel the need of adding mine to the stack.

most of the characters will be the same but i'll be going from the 5 different antagonists of the last script down to 2. There are just far too many badguys as it is... I'd rather have 1 or 2 really evil ones than 5 quasi-evil ones. also I'll tighten the storyline up a great deal and nail down a few loose ends that really stand out in my mind.

and if it still doesn't go to publish... maybe I'll just do the Ebook thing.
The Forsaken - Updating Mondays. Mostly.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Ebook eh

Postby Koto on Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 am

As somone always looking for somthing to read I would be interested.

Too bad you couldn't do like Richard A Clark, National Security Advisor turned Author. Breakpoint was a good novel and I'm currently looking for scorpions gate but Ghost in the Shell is still the benchmark in my eyes. (MASAMUNE!)
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Tue May 29, 2007 9:24 am

ghost is actually a huge influence for one of my characters. :)
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Tue May 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Yes, i agree, 1 really awesome character is millions of times better than 5 soso characters.
I never understood the Trillagy?? thingy. Why cant a book stand on its own, you know. lol. Anyways...

When I get mine going, its going to be more of a Backstory for my Screenplay then it will be for publishing. I just want to have a really rich story full of......stuff, lol. To many movies now days are so bland, or so full of crap, they make no sense....(Yes The FOUNTAIN Im Talking about YOU!!!)
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

great authours

Postby Koto on Tue May 29, 2007 6:35 pm

Rowling had her novels worked out berfore she wrote them, but hte best example is JRR Tolkien, it was over 20years of writing before he published "the Hobbit" and during that time he was working on the history of middle-earth.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:50 pm

And Fighting a World War in his spare time... ;0)
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:52 am

arcnaver wrote:And Fighting a World War in his spare time... ;0)

Damn! Always forget about the Great War, and I blame World War II. If it wern't for WWII The Great War would have been the war to end all wars.

incedently there is currently only one suriving vetran from WWI

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:03 pm

Still 1. Wow, I thought they all passed away a few years ago.

From what I understand, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings is basically, WW1. Or greatly inspired by its devistation at least.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 pm

except there weren't any elves. Or dragons. Or rings.

Or hobbits.

Or wraiths.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Or Tom Bombadil.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:10 pm

Also greatly influenced by the Catholic bible. Tolkien set out to create a great tail about Britian while weaving into allagories of Catholism, when he showed his work to his friend and fellow catholic, C.S. Lewis, Lewis set out to write his own story in similar fasion. Although Lewis enjoyed Tolkiens work greatly, Tolkien found Lewis's work shallow. They remained friends though.
Tolkien modeled Treebeard on Lewis.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:00 pm

No Preciouses either... Stupid Fat Hobbit.

I have picked up on the religious stuff. Born of Fire and Water... um baptism... There are a lot of phrases and situations that do remind one of religion.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:01 pm

So I started the rewrite today. After a couple weeks of sitting down, staring blankly at the monitor and scratching my head... and then deciding to draw instead... I actually pushed out a little over 2 pages today, the new and improved opening scene of my book!
now, I just need to go from writing 500 to 2,000 words per day.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Glad to hear it man. My story has been growing and fermenting and churning in my head since I first thought of the concept. I still havent worked out the Ending, Middle nor the beginning yet. I kinda did the same thing as you, scratched my head a lot then painted. I have come up with maps and some other concepts for the story, like Eagle Mountain, which inspired a painting. Hopefully in about 2 or 3 weeks, my house will be done and thus I can start putting pen to paper, well finger to keyboard. I have written some stuff, just small microstories or scenes, but nothing I was to happy with.

I happend along a Lord of the Rings book, an old version where it is still ONE bound book, it was a sweet score, since it has all the reference materials in the back, like family trees, proununciations, all the crap I need so that I might see better how to structure my own. Now, dont get me wrong, Im not writing a LOTR's Clone, I just needed some input on how he did his backstory and researching. This will help a great deal. ;) Good Luck Man.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:17 pm

arcnaver wrote:I happend along a Lord of the Rings book, an old version where it is still ONE bound book, it was a sweet score, since it has all the reference materials in the back, like family trees, proununciations, all the crap I need so that I might see better how to structure my own. Now, dont get me wrong, Im not writing a LOTR's Clone, I just needed some input on how he did his backstory and researching. This will help a great deal. ;) Good Luck Man.

I have several copies of LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion: Kinda been my area of study, so any questions there and I may be able to help out.

Even though it's written by L Ron Hubbard, "Battlefield Earth" is good with the massive universe and history. Also Terry Brooks, and Terry Pratchet. good reads.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:28 pm

Thanks.

Tolkien spent decades researching and coming up with a rich back story. My ADD wont let me do that, lol. What was his base language he used for the races of Middle Earth? Germanic or something?
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:52 pm

I do believe olde english, middle english, saxon, welsh scottish and Irish.

The Elvish alphabet (tengwar) in design appears to modeled after Semetic languages (also influenced by Latin, Scandanavian, and Greek) as they are not letters per se, but directions on how to provounce it. The tengwar is composed of consanents with vowels represented as puncuation an the following letter.

Dwarvish is most definetly from old saxon as it is based on the runes of the Norse.

"The Languages of Middle Earth" by Ruth S Noel (I need to find a new copy, mine is missing) has some great insight into elvish.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:37 pm

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1306&itm=1

Did a search and found it. Might be a good resource.

I noticed one thing while reading the book, 1, the movies just kinda resemble the actual book story, funny, they said it held true to the books, but alas, not so. And 2, he doesnt go into deep detail when describing what the characters look like, I thought he would have been more descriptive. Not that that is a dissapointing thing, I just expected otherwise, it actually helps the book flow. So i may have to find a good balance, as I tend to describe the heck out of things.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:38 pm

Ok, making a new thread, wasnt my intention to hijack James's.

Sorry dude.
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Forsaken, The