Site redesign input

The offical message board of The Forsaken webcomic; a place to discuss all things Interactual.

Site redesign input

Postby Jameslong on Mon May 28, 2007 11:25 am

This is the official "the website would be better with/without X" post.
I've spent the entire day reworking things and you can see a preview here:
http://jameslong.comicgenesis.com/PCI.html

there are obivously still a few problems there, but it's pretty much done as a design idea. I think it might actually be more effective to have the newspost and navigation windows at the top of the page, but i'm not sure on that.

The only casualty is the little shoutbox, but I don't consider that a huge loss, really, since I have a forum now. Could be wrong though... what do you folks think?
The Forsaken - Updating Mondays. Mostly.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Nice

Postby Koto on Mon May 28, 2007 2:44 pm

New design looks good but loosing the cbox could be a bad thing. The cbox provides instant feedback and a place to post for people who don't want ot join the forum, or to lazy to click on an additional link to post feed back and questions. Some people will only use cbox's to contact the artist.

Edit: Replace all instances of good (above) with AWESOME. Got caught up in my thought on the cbox that I downplayed the look of the new site design. Biggest improvement is the blog design at the bottom. When I was using a lower resolution it was difficult to read.
I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Mon May 28, 2007 4:24 pm

good point with the resolution... it's built for 1024x768 but my laptop only goes up to 1280x800, so I can't do any usability testing above that. I'll probably darken up the "personal control interface" text a bit, but I did want it to be subtle.

The other problem is I'm using Adobe Imageready to turn an image into CSS/HTML and it shoots everthing out to absolute positioning. This makes things a little trickier if I want the site to be centered instead of anchored against the left side of the window. It works that way, but anything above a 1280px resolution width probably looks really weird.

I'll tinker a bit and see if theres any way to keep the cbox in. I agree it's a nice little doodad to have on hand. I'll just have to alter the righthand PCI monitor and place it elsewhere.
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Cojoinedcows on Tue May 29, 2007 1:24 am

To center everything, you could put it all in a frameset.
Like this:
Code: Select all
<frameset cols="*,1280,*" border="0">
  <frame name="left" src="back.htm" noresize scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
  <frame name="main" src="main.htm" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
  <frame name="right" src="back.htm" noresize scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
</frameset>

Where "back.htm" Would simply be an empty html-file with a backgroundcoulor. I use this on cojoinedcows. The only drawback with this is the scrollbar at the right side of main.htm. Maybe you can turn it off somehow, haven't tried to yet. Speaking of scrollbars: the horizontal one in the blog-section is a bit annoying and totally useless. Maybe you can turn that off?

Well, all that is left to be said is that I really like the new site design. As was said above: It's awesome. :)
<a href="http://cojoinedcows.coolix.com/">Join the Cojoined Cows in their adventures!</a>
Cojoinedcows

Postby Cojoinedcows on Tue May 29, 2007 1:27 am

Ah, one more thing: You can't include any PHP in your site, can you? Because I was going to write a shoutbox for cojoinedcows some time. I could give you the code to easily integrate it into your site design, but thats only if you have php-support. :(
<a href="http://cojoinedcows.coolix.com/">Join the Cojoined Cows in their adventures!</a>
Cojoinedcows

Postby Jameslong on Tue May 29, 2007 3:40 am

Thanks, Dread :D
I'll give that frameset stuff try.

I've tried turning off the news section's horizontal scroll to no avail. I use an overflow=scroll for that element... maybe i need to research that property a little and see if there are any options for it.

oh, and thanks but there's no php/sql support. Otherwise I'd already have a forum!! :D
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 am

Looks great in Internet Exploder...Looks, er um, well, uh good in Firefox... lol Its really wiggy on my machine anyways.
Arg! Me Name Be Adam... ARRRG!!
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue May 29, 2007 9:00 am

I use FireFox 2 and it appears fine to me, but with some sites it's hit and miss, a screen that would load (on firefox) at work, might not load the same at home (missing image's and banners) I tend to have the most problems with people' sites when they use firefox but I can always see the comic. 8-)

I would like to note that the majority of my computer time is spent reading comics, but I still do other things like read books.

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Arcnaver on Tue May 29, 2007 4:53 pm

It would appear as if it were working now. May have just been a hicup, or the loose nut behind the keyboard.
Arg! Me Name Be Adam... ARRRG!!
Arcnaver
Regular Poster

Postby Koto on Tue May 29, 2007 6:06 pm

arcnaver wrote:It would appear as if it were working now. May have just been a hicup, or the loose nut behind the keyboard.

8-) my power supply sits outside my computer :P

...or should I

Koto
Regular Poster

Postby Jameslong on Thu May 31, 2007 7:09 am

i do attest... site tweakage/redesign is DONE!!! WOOHOO!
Jameslong
Regular Poster

Return to Forsaken, The