Comics Not Updating - Something is clearly wrong

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Re: Comics Not Updating - Something is clearly wrong

Post by VinnieD »

Kojika wrote:Having the same issue. It says the update goes through the queue, but nothing changes and the actual update date stays the same as it was (which was 5/17). Was just checking on the forums to see what was up, but it seems that it's a common issue. I suppose that's good to know..?
Ditto. I do a manual update and nothing happens.

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Post by Cope »

Okay, the automatic updater has generated Monday's archived page, but it hasn't put it up on the front page like it's supposed to. The same thing happened with Friday's update; I had to run a full manual update just to get the front page to update.

Striker, it seems that AutoGenesis wasn't ready for prime time.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Okay, a few things I've noticed:

AG is updating properly, and will always update the index page (the first page). However, your browser may not show you the freshest page. For that:
  1. Do a full update.
  2. Wait 10 minutes. AG checks for comics every 5, and if the previous batch is still running, will not step on itself until it's done that. The queue runs 8 comics at a time now.
  3. Reload your comic's page. You may have to pull it again with the RELOAD button. If it doesn't work, hold down the SHIFT key and press RELOAD again. This forces a fresh pull, and blows through most third-party proxies that you and/or your ISP may be using.
If it does not, tell me here with what date the comic should show as plus your comic's username or URL (there's 10K of 'em, I so I can't possibly remember yours). Also, if you FTP in you will see a "keencc.log" file. This is what AG prints out as it's compiling a comic. It's what I will check first, but since it's in everyone's account now, you get to see it too.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Rick Awkward wrote:Author has been showing as Kelly Price since yesterday. Updating hasn't changed it.
That was a bug, and now fixed. Bug #2 squashed.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Mangaka2170 wrote:I don't have access to siteadmin, so I did a manual update by deleting the file in my workspace folder and re-uploading it into my public folder. Hopefully it'll work, but I don't want to have to update that way every single time a page is due...
Can you use Quickadmin instead? You should never touch your public_html folder. Also, the indextemplate.html in public_html is no longer used and can be deleted.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Spoofy Randomness wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:
Stretch Longfellow wrote:What are those of us why have joined within the last year supposed to do? I still don't have access to the Site Admin page, so the only way I can update is waiting for the usual update time, which apparently is not working.
You can trigger an update through Quickadmin. I'm trying to find the time to rip-out Siteadmin and replace it with something a bit more sane. I'm also looking into OpenID, making everyone who has a comic able to use it as an ID to log into other places. If you have a Yubikey we may offer the ability of having you use that to log into Siteadmin. All research.
Nope, can't access Quickadmin either. Tried both this account (my primary) and the Stretch Longfellow one (was accidentally logged into that one earlier for some reason; I never use it). Comic site is spoofyrandomness.comicgenesis.com
Use your FTP info with Quickadmin.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

BigKwell wrote:Just a suggestion, but is there any way the server's infected?
No. The server runs FreeBSD, so it's immune to Windows viruses. This is just the usual hard-core shakeout of new code. Two bugs you all have found, plus a few features Kisai asked for the back-end. If there's more, we'll find out.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Post by Cope »

Okay, I ran a full manual update like I did for Friday's page and the index has finally updated itself.

I trust this is just a bug that will be fixed soon?
Image Image

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

STrRedWolf wrote:AG is updating properly, and will always update the index page (the first page). However, your browser may not show you the freshest page. For that:
  1. Do a full update.
  2. Wait 10 minutes. AG checks for comics every 5, and if the previous batch is still running, will not step on itself until it's done that. The queue runs 8 comics at a time now.
  3. Reload your comic's page. You may have to pull it again with the RELOAD button. If it doesn't work, hold down the SHIFT key and press RELOAD again. This forces a fresh pull, and blows through most third-party proxies that you and/or your ISP may be using.
I've done this twice, both with SiteAdmin and QuickAdmin, and neither one has worked. The front page is still stuck on Wednesday, as are the archives.

Comic is hellsing.comicgenesis.com and date of latest comic is is 20100523.

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Cope wrote:Okay, I ran a full manual update like I did for Friday's page and the index has finally updated itself.

I trust this is just a bug that will be fixed soon?
I'm not sure what's causing it. It should update. When is your next comic due to update, Cope?
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Post by Cope »

Like I said, Monday's page (20100524.png) is showing on the index now, but I had to run a full manual update to get it to do so (note that prior to this, i couldn't get it to appear even after triggering a hard refresh or clearing my entire browser cache....so I'm guessing it's not a problem with my browser).

If you mean my next update after Monday's, that's due on Wednesday.
Image Image

STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Post by STrRedWolf »

Hmmm... it may be something else. What time and timezone do you have your comic set at?
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis

Cope
Incompetent Monster

Post by Cope »

I have my automatic updates set to midnight at Greenwich Mean Time (4PM PST/PDT).
Image Image

Spoofy Randomness

Post by Spoofy Randomness »

STrRedWolf wrote:
Spoofy Randomness wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:You can trigger an update through Quickadmin. I'm trying to find the time to rip-out Siteadmin and replace it with something a bit more sane. I'm also looking into OpenID, making everyone who has a comic able to use it as an ID to log into other places. If you have a Yubikey we may offer the ability of having you use that to log into Siteadmin. All research.
Nope, can't access Quickadmin either. Tried both this account (my primary) and the Stretch Longfellow one (was accidentally logged into that one earlier for some reason; I never use it). Comic site is spoofyrandomness.comicgenesis.com
Use your FTP info with Quickadmin.
Ha! That would do it, I suppose. Thank you!

Nutshellcomics
Regular Poster

Post by Nutshellcomics »

The required advertisement is not showing up.

Is that me, or the system?
Updates Monday & Friday

Forsakenstars
Regular Poster

Post by Forsakenstars »

Followed your steps, STrRedWolf, and comic is now updating. Thank you for all your hard work.
Starring The Vampire Azzi & Captain Sera Besh. Updates Mon and Thurs.

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

SailorPtah wrote:I've done this twice, both with SiteAdmin and QuickAdmin, and neither one has worked. The front page is still stuck on Wednesday, as are the archives.

Website is hellsing.comicgenesis.com and date of latest comic is is 20100523.
Tried it again. Still no change.

Now the date of the latest backlogged comic is 20100524.

BionicDance
Regular Poster

Post by BionicDance »

I'm starting to suspect that the server has the wrong date or something; the page of mine that was supposed to be up yesterday and which never came up after several attempts to force it with both SiteAdmin and QuickAdmin is now up with no fuss whatsoever...a day late.

I'd be amused if it was something that simple as the wrong date, and it's probably NOT that, but...worth checking, I suppose. Like that time my ex's cousins asked me to fix the sound on their computer and it turned out they're plugged their speakers into the modem instead of the sound card; always worth checking the simple stuff first. Just sayin'.
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.

Kojika
Regular Poster

Post by Kojika »

Well, I went to the SiteAdmin today (since I have pages that go up Sunday and Monday), and it FINALLY put both pages through. However, it's technically set to do that automatically on Mondays at like 12:00 pm GMT-6 or whatever. But...as long as it goes through through at least through this way, I'm not too worried. Though it was nice that it put it through automatically, as lately, I've been out of town a lot during Sundays and sleep on Mondays to get myself back to normal, lol. I double-checked my settings and nothing seems off, hopefully it was a one-time glitch and next week, it will be back to normal (as I'm out of town til Monday, lol. Last time for a while though)
~Sanzaki Kojika

Zos Kias

SailorPtah
Cartoon Hero

Post by SailorPtah »

Okay, something really strange is happening with mine (hellsing.comicgen.com).

The strips are disappearing from workspace/comics as their dates arrive; I checked shortly after midnight Eastern (the scheduled update time) on May 25, and everything through 20100525.png was gone. But they're not appearing on the calendar, the pages don't exist in the archive, and the index page still shows the strip from last Wednesday.