Page 1 of 1

updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 pm
by elnifichronicles
okay so as many of u know, the newest members cant use the site admin to update manually. therefore im wondering if any of u can explain to me how to update several comic pages at once.

im using filezilla, but can also use the cg ftp.

also, can someone explain to me any requirements for files to be updated (i think i remember seeing that it had to be in date format...)

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:29 pm
by VeryCuddlyCornpone
I'm pretty sure that if you upload whatever you want to see updated to the workspace folder, it should all auto-update when your comic is set to... well, auto-update. You don't really need to do manual updates except for rare occasions, I think. And this isn't one of the rare occasions, unless things start to for some reason get messy.

Upload your comics in date format, ie name them the date that you want them to be uploaded and that's the day they will appear on the site.
Let's say you upload them as PNG:
Comic for June 20- image is titled 20090620.png (YYYYMMDD).file extension type

Hope that helps!

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:13 am
by BionicDance
Well, for my own part, I'm trying to build my site more or less from the start here. If I can't manually update, I can pretty much only see the changes I've made--and any errors that need fixing--once a day. And if I make a well-and-truly fatal error, sure, I can roll back to my last save, but it'll still take a day to update it.

And I'm fairly convinced that I would need SiteAdmin to change when my comic updates, so I can't even make hourly changes by setting the update time to an hour from now...

So if there IS a way to force an update without SiteAdmin, I'd find it very useful...one might even say critical.

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:02 pm
by VeryCuddlyCornpone
BionicDance wrote:Well, for my own part, I'm trying to build my site more or less from the start here. If I can't manually update, I can pretty much only see the changes I've made--and any errors that need fixing--once a day. And if I make a well-and-truly fatal error, sure, I can roll back to my last save, but it'll still take a day to update it.

And I'm fairly convinced that I would need SiteAdmin to change when my comic updates, so I can't even make hourly changes by setting the update time to an hour from now...

So if there IS a way to force an update without SiteAdmin, I'd find it very useful...one might even say critical.
Sometimes you can peek at what your update is going to look like by opening the html document itself. It won't show you the actual comic and all of the keentags will still just be placeholders (the things that ***are like this***) but that way you can make sure that if you centered something it is correct, and that fonts and background colors are correct, for instance.

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:06 pm
by SomethingWicked
The KeenTags make editing difficult, as floating and positioning certain items properly is impossible without knowing the size of what the tag will become. (Most specifically, the calendar.) As well as seeing if the CSS calendar is looking right, or if colors need to be updated, which does need a site update.

Also, I've been finding that while my comic is updating during the auto-update, the rest of my site is not, despite re-uploading certain things. I know for a fact my links aren't broken, as my old CSS file (which is external) is still being accessed and showing the old CSS, but new pages and edits are no longer showing up. I've waited almost a week with no changes.

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm
by BionicDance
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Sometimes you can peek at what your update is going to look like by opening the html document itself. It won't show you the actual comic and all of the keentags will still just be placeholders (the things that ***are like this***) but that way you can make sure that if you centered something it is correct, and that fonts and background colors are correct, for instance.
I suppose...but...ehhh... Well, I'm sure you can understand the frustration, tho, neh?

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:03 am
by VeryCuddlyCornpone
BionicDance wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote: Sometimes you can peek at what your update is going to look like by opening the html document itself. It won't show you the actual comic and all of the keentags will still just be placeholders (the things that ***are like this***) but that way you can make sure that if you centered something it is correct, and that fonts and background colors are correct, for instance.
I suppose...but...ehhh... Well, I'm sure you can understand the frustration, tho, neh?
Hah no I getcha. It is an annoying situation which will hopefully be fixed soon. Summon the rain gods!

Re: updateing more than one page at a time without siteadmin

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 pm
by Dr Neo Lao
What I did a while back was to create some placeholder images that can be put where the Keentags will end up to allow positioning and layout problems be sorted "off line" on the personal computer rather than waiting for the update on the server (even triggering a manual update can take several hours to go through, depending on the server load - it is not instantaneous).

I no longer have the placeholder images and will need to create some new ones. Now that I think about it, there might be some in the template library - download one of the deluxe ones at the bottom and I think I put some placeholder images to scale in the sample section inside the zip file. I'll have to double-check to see if they are the right size.

You can get the gist of what SiteAdmin can and can't do from this page (although some it is not very clear).