o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Postby Whatupwidat on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey, one question...how do I find out what time a day my strip updates? I only ask because I, in my infinite wisdom, managed to lock myself out of the Admin page and have been relying upon my FTP to update since last October. I know it does update, but I thought it was at midnight GMT.
Whatupwidat
Regular Poster

Postby FollesGuy on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am

"First - don't use SiteAdmin. You can quite happily run your comic without using SiteAdmin. Just use FTP to upload comics to your account (the server will automatically run updates) and update the templates (also via FTP) to change the look of your comic. Instructions on how to do this can be found in the CGWiki."

Could you please be more specific about which section of the Wiki gives the necessary instructions on this point? I have been looking through it to find the instructions I need, and I am afraid I have not had any luck.

Thanks,
Ira Nayman (FollesGuy)
FollesGuy

Postby TaleSpinner on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 pm

FollesGuy, here's the link I think you're looking for (http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.ph ... /FTP_Guide ). I'm new too and just found it. Now all I need to figure out is how to use FTP. I tried using the client set up for CG, but it was really basic and overwhelming at how simple (not meaning 'easy' simple) it was (I need some pretty colors), so I ended up downloading the FileZilla one. Now I need to figure out how to connect it to Comic Genesis.
TaleSpinner

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:31 am

@Whatupwidat: I believe it was indeed at midnight, but that was on the old server. There was a server move about a year or so ago and it is in a different timezone. I believe that the defult update time is still at midnight local server time, but I'm not sure which state the server is in now. I wasn't able to get a definite answer from Kisai or STrRedWolf before they became scarce.

@FoliesGuy: Sorry about the vagueness of those instructions. They are talking about two separate things. First is connecting to your comic account using an FTP program. Follow the link TaleSpinner posted (I assume you already have), which will get you started. Be carefull not to delete any folders or re-name them! You could break your comic account if you do.

Once you are able to log into your comic account and see the files, then you'll be able to do the second part which is update/change your comic site. To do this you need to download the two templates (indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html) to your computer, edit the html code in the files and then upload them back onto your comic account. The server will then use the templates to automatically create the html files for your comic.

@TaleSpinner: Let us know if you re still having issues with Filezilla.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Indanthrone on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:15 am

Out of curiosity, so SiteAdmin is no longer a function available to new members, correct? (if I'm reading the first post correctly.)

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm new =) I'm alright with this loss since I've never had it, but, http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.php/Sign_Up_Process I used this as my original step-by-step guide, and I found it quite confusing to go back and forth between resources within Comic Genesis as to whether or not its important for me to be able to get into the SiteAdmin area.

Is there a way to change the wording in this document to aid other new comers to help alleviate this concern? Even if its a simple disclaimer of "If you are joining us after May 09, you no longer need to run SiteAdmin, so you can skip this step. We still recommend joining the forums for advice yadda yadda" Or something to that effect?

Thanks for all the help
Indanthrone

Postby Shadow_Theory on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:22 pm

I understand that SiteAdmin does not function for new users. However, whenever I access with FTP, I get a permissions error whenever I try to upload a new file. This is probably because my account was just created and has yet to fully unfold through the databases.

However, with SiteAdmin down, is there any way to upload pogs and newsbox images? Or are new users locked out of those promotional options?
Shadow_Theory

Postby Splat Man on Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Shadow_Theory wrote:I understand that SiteAdmin does not function for new users. However, whenever I access with FTP, I get a permissions error whenever I try to upload a new file. This is probably because my account was just created and has yet to fully unfold through the databases.

However, with SiteAdmin down, is there any way to upload pogs and newsbox images? Or are new users locked out of those promotional options?

I'm wondering that myself, is there a way around this?
Splat Man

Postby Ironweasle on Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi I'm a brand new user, and I have no clue whats going on. I read all the details and stuff but I don't even know what FTP is much less how to use it. Also I don't want to just update my Comic, I need to edit my page, cause the example I used sucks, and I just got a tablet and want to redo it. Is there any way I can manage my comic besides just updates?
Ironweasle

Postby BackForwardPunch on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:35 am

Ah, I was having trouble with this, it wasn't covered in the wiki...
BackForwardPunch

Postby TruFaxLtd on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:16 pm

well its been about a week since my account was activated, I believe, yet no matter what I try I can't seem to connect via FTP. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, do I just have to wait?
TruFaxLtd

Postby Webhead on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:11 am

This is my second required post to log in.
Webhead

Postby Webhead on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 am

The first two posts didn't work. Now trying a third. Is there a minimum length requirement?
Webhead

Postby Webhead on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 am

Testing to see if I'm logged in right.
Webhead

Postby Webhead on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:16 am

It keeps saying my username isn't valid. What am I doing wrong? I made a new account with a capital first letter. And how does it know to match my forum account with my comic account? I just created it. Confused.
Webhead

Postby Xcentrikz on Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:57 am

Thank you for posting all of this. It was helpful! :-)
Xcentrikz

Help. Im desperate

Postby lane-cornell on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:55 pm

I have been trying to get my comic running for a month now and it has not been working. I have got a forum account and activated all my accounts. But, Site Admin, CG Wiki, and Comicgenesis itself wont let me log in or post my first comic. the only thing that actually works is this account.
lane-cornell

Re: Help. Im desperate

Postby Spaceprincess on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:46 pm

lane-cornell wrote:I have been trying to get my comic running for a month now and it has not been working. I have got a forum account and activated all my accounts. But, Site Admin, CG Wiki, and Comicgenesis itself wont let me log in or post my first comic. the only thing that actually works is this account.

first you need to make a minimum of two forum posts. then make sure about capitalizing the first letter. then you need to log into the forum account first then try logging into site admin.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby NowhereU on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm not a new user, my comic has been around for years. But I had to take several hiatuses for medical reasons, and am just now able to update again. Yet, I am having the same problem the newbies are having. I've reregistered with this forum under two names now, but my old login either was broken or lost. Should I just treat my account like a new one then? And is that rule of having to have a capital letter at beginning of your login name still applicable?
NowhereU

Postby Elfcat on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I officially join the chorus of those who want to know if those of us who are too new for SiteAdmin will ever be able to put up newsboxes, pogs, or Genchans. Is there someplace we can just FTP them to?
clang.comicgenesis.com
Elfcat

Postby Cope on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:09 am

I was trying to log into siteadmin just now and all I got was this error message:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 626

I should note that I had to delete my cookies earlier today (another forum gave me a bad cookie and it was fucking everything up). EDIT: Nevermind; I just found out I'm not the only one with this problem. viewtopic.php?p=1540190#p1540190

Quickadmin has been turning up the same message, although I can get it to load by refreshing the page. The problem is, whenever i trigger a good old regular update, Quickadmin tells me "Update ( params='update', ) request entered OK!" but the update doesn't actually happen.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center