o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Postby BionicDance on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:00 am

Dr Neo Lao wrote:Correct. Banners, Pogs and GenChans cannot be processed at this time for the reasons stated.

Have to admit, that's really hurting some of us new people.

An' I'm not gonna bother asking for an ETA; I can't recall a single time when asking someone in charge of anything when something that was broken/promised/necessary/etc would be rectified was answered with anything less vague than "soon".
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby Haresy on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Okay, so I guess I'm among the many who can't get into SiteAdmin - however, I can't get into FTP either, so I can't upload comics/CSS/HTML/images. I've tried using my FTP login, but I'm not sure that I have the right password - I can't get into SiteAdmin to change it, so I don't know if I can access the site using another FTP program.

While I'm glad to hear that things are being worked on, it'd be nice to know if I can actually get started with the comic.
Haresy
Regular Poster

Postby Haresy on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:08 pm

Ok, got into the FTP site - finally got the password reset to work.

Question: I'll be uploading new HTML & CSS files to the FTP site. Will the HTML and CSS files be updated, or does that require SiteAdmin? Also, will the site only update the comic if there's one for that date? Meaning, if I have a comic for November 3rd uploaded it won't show up until November 3rd?

(sorry - been gone for a while; trying to get re-acquainted with the system as well as with the new "undocumented features")
Haresy
Regular Poster

Postby Subi on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Haresy wrote:Also, will the site only update the comic if there's one for that date? Meaning, if I have a comic for November 3rd uploaded it won't show up until November 3rd?

Following on from that, if I were to stick a bunch of pre-dated comics on the FTP, would they all get put into the right place by the auto update? Say I uploaded 20091001.jpg to 20091020.jpg on the 28th October, would they all appear on the 29th or just one of them? It's just that I don't want to have to wait a month before there's enough comic up there for me to tell people about. ;)

(Wouldn't you know it. I pick CG because of its superior cross-advertising, and run right into this. ;) Can't be helped though, so I'll wait, the coders have my sympathies. ;) )
Subi

Postby Haresy on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Not sure if this'll help the debugging/reprogramming efforts, but I just got this error when I tried to log into SiteAdmin:
Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 617
Haresy
Regular Poster

Postby Thetwat on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:37 am

Ahhh... dang it.

It's been nearly a 2 years since I've last been on here, and because I'm thinking of starting a new comic the first thing I do is get a new password because I can't remember the old one. :(

Oh, well. I suppose this'll give me plenty of time to re-read the faq and try and remember how the site works again. Is there any idea on roughly how long it'll be before it's up and running again?

Maybe I should ask Santa for a working SiteAdmin for Christmas.
Thetwat

Postby EdContradictory on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Is this ever going to be resolved? I've been using Fetch to get my comic up, but my site looks like crap, and I can't fix the design and I have no access to anything like stats to know if it's even worth it for me to post my comic here.

I understand how long it can take to fix this kind of stuff, but six months seems a bit long to me.
EdContradictory

Postby Haresy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:19 pm

I understand how long it can take to fix this kind of stuff, but six months seems a bit long to me.

I seem to remember this sort of thing happening a few years ago when I unsuccessfully tried to launch my webcomic. Failure to launch wasn't their fault; due to an insane amount of OMFGWTFBBQ?!? thrown at me for several months. However, there were issues with SiteAdmin and the FTP site back then, too. Seems like it's been an ongoing thing for a while now.

Farm it out/post questions on support boards/hire rent-a-geeks to fix it/etc. Find a solution.

I know this isn't a paid gig for those running ComicGenesis, but seriously, if you're in over your head with the code and you're not finding a solution then maybe it's time to farm it out to friends or work out some sort of barter system with a support person.
Haresy
Regular Poster

Postby Risky on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:08 am

EdContradictory wrote:Is this ever going to be resolved? I've been using Fetch to get my comic up, but my site looks like crap, and I can't fix the design and I have no access to anything like stats to know if it's even worth it for me to post my comic here.

There are no built-in stats, and if you can upload your comic, you can fix the design. Just make a new template and include a stat counter in it like google analytics.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Haresy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:58 pm

So if I understand this correctly: uploading a new daily template and index template will overwrite the generic ones, and it should update the HTML & CSS along with your webcomic, correct?
Haresy
Regular Poster

Postby StillDoll on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:06 pm

You mean post two things IN the forum right?
StillDoll

Postby BionicDance on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:52 am

Haresy wrote:So if I understand this correctly: uploading a new daily template and index template will overwrite the generic ones, and it should update the HTML & CSS along with your webcomic, correct?

Not...quite.

If there are OLD ones in there, ya gotta delete them first. I ran into this problem once or twice early on, not realizing that uploading something of the same name WON'T over-write the original, will in fact do nothing. It's a weird little quirk of the system, but it's worth noting explicitly.
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby Risky on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:46 pm

BionicDance wrote:
Haresy wrote:So if I understand this correctly: uploading a new daily template and index template will overwrite the generic ones, and it should update the HTML & CSS along with your webcomic, correct?

Not...quite.

If there are OLD ones in there, ya gotta delete them first. I ran into this problem once or twice early on, not realizing that uploading something of the same name WON'T over-write the original, will in fact do nothing. It's a weird little quirk of the system, but it's worth noting explicitly.

Never had this happen.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Haresy on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:20 pm

Not...quite.

Duly noted, and thanks.
I'll make sure I delete the old files first before uploading new ones.
Haresy
Regular Poster

Postby Wovstah on Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 pm

Thank you - I've been wanting to delete my old site for ages... @_@
I hope after posting this I can.
Wovstah

Postby Nickgreyink on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:18 am

Well this explains why I can login now.
Nickgreyink

Postby Zeak on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:20 pm

I cant login t the siteadmin iv had a comic genesis comic before but decided to make a new one none of my information is the same as the other one was but thats besides the point it wont let me sign into it
Zeak

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Any new forum accounts or old forum accounts that change their passwords are unable to access siteadmin. It's a glitch in the system that has been running for several months now.

If you have an exisiting forum account that you have the old password for then that is the only way in to SiteAdmin. If you have a new forum account or change the password on an old forum account then you can't get in...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby SilverKitten on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Okay, I've posted a few times here with various questions, but I have another. I understand SiteAdmin is STILL being rebuilt, and even IF I get things to work on my end, I still won't be able to do anything with it. But, does SiteAdmin being rebuilt have anything to do with the fact that I can't make a password on FTP? I've been here since.. I dunno, May or June, and I still haven't reset the original password on my FTP site. It still won't let me, and I'm wondering if that's connected to the Admin deal.
~* Nya *~
SilverKitten

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 pm

It shouldn't be, as far as I am aware.

I assume you followed these instructions to change your FTP password?

Let us know if you continue to have difficulties and what you have been doing.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center