o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o

Postby elnifichronicles on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 pm

heya, ive been having the same problem and ive read the last 2 or so pages of replies so i understand the problem and how to work around it (i think). i was just wondering when u mention that the pages can be be uploaded in mass, how do u designate that?

aka, i have 30 or so pages i want to update to start the comic. how do i get them all to update?
elnifichronicles

Postby FistWhite on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:58 am

The same old story, SiteAdmin doesn't accept my password.

'Kay, so I used this FileZilla stuff. The database doesn't accept any password I use either, whether it's the original one or the later ones after changing.

Maybe you should disable this whole system and the artists send their pics to your mailaddress. =(
FistWhite

Postby Miss S on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:11 am

You might just have to wait a bit for the FTP to work. The day I got the OK to get my comic going, I kept getting a permissions denied error when trying to upload things via FTP. I waited overnight, and the next day things worked perfectly fine.
Miss S

Postby Perdire on Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 am

Hey, I registered a couple weeks ago and got the validation on Jun 7. I have FTP access but no access to SiteAdmin(per the usual problems in this thread). It's workable but annoying create a webpage when you only get to see what it really looks like once per day.

I noticed someone mentioned that this is believed to be a problem setting the password field in the database. If it helps I have complete access to the old SiteAdmin, which means, if both old and new SiteAdmin have the same password database that my password has been set and the problem likely resides elsewhere.
Perdire

Postby Namemaychange on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Hey there, I'm just another new and frustrated user who can't get into SiteAdmin.

Yesterday, I received the OK from Comic Genesis to start my comic. I tried logging into SiteAdmin, but I couldn't. The email said something about waiting 24 hours before being able to login, so I waited. I could get into FTP right away, but I couldn't upload anything until a while ago though. Also, my name didn't have a capital letter, so I changed it.

Now, I try to login again, but I still can't DX

I get the usual invalid username message, and it loops onto asking for the username/password again and again.

I know it is still possible to upload and eventually get the comic going via FTP, but it's really frustrating to be waiting to the update hour to see any changes. Is there anything I could do to get into SiteAdmin/update my comic?

thanks in advance : D

EDIT

I'm a newbie, so I don't know if these affect something but I'll post them just in case.

-I think my FTP user name starts with a lower case letter. (name is sibela) I can login into the FTP account, even regardless of using s or S, so I guess lower case letters don't affect it, but siteadmin's another story...

-Because of that, after reading about the capital letter being a must for forum nickname, I changed my nick to Namemaychange. However, I still log in FTP as sibela. Does it matter if forum/siteadmin and FTP accounts have a different username?

thanks again, and please excuse my noobishness..I'm desperate o.O
Namemaychange

Postby KBGleason on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Namemaychange wrote:Does it matter if forum/siteadmin and FTP accounts have a different username?
I'm curious about this too, since I can access my ftp account and upload images just fine, but can't log into siteadmin to tell CG to update my comic.
KBGleason

Postby Namemaychange on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 pm

I think it is, or maybe the username should have a capital letter since the one you type in the registration form.

I just tried changing the password for ftp/siteadmin.
Now, it says:
"Logging you in!
If it doesn't load in the next 5 seconds, click here."

Then, the next message appears:
"This page requires authentication, please goto the Login page."

After that, the login page shows up again, with the next message above it:
Usernames and passwords are case sensitive, use the same username and password that you would use to login to your site via FTP.

Please make sure that cookies are enabled, firewall/privacy "enhancement" is disabled for this site, and that you are using:
IE5.5 or later,
Mozilla 1.2 or later,
Opera 6 or later.
If you are having problems logging in, please request a new password with Lost Password, activate it and then close all web browser windows, or verify that your cookies are enabled with Cookie Write test (If the codes for read and write do not change when you reload, there is something wrong with your browser or firewall configuration)
If you are seeing this exact same page over and over, your browser is not sending the form correctly, please upgrade to a standards compliant browser or turn off software firewall/privacy software

However, I can still log into FTP!
Now I'm confused.
Namemaychange

Postby BionicDance on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 am

I can access my FTP--though only through the web interface; no FTP clients seem able to log on--but I can't get to SiteAdmin at all.

It REALLY doesn't like my username. I've tried logging in as "BionicDance", "Bionicdance" and "bionicdance". I get this message for each:

Forum Username BionicDance not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

...with no possible correct spellings listed, I might add.

I joined the forums on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 am
I was given comic space earlier today, Tue Jun 23, 2009
If normal is relative, then I'm an orphan.
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby BionicDance on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:18 pm

I'm also occasionally--but not always--getting this error message from time to time:

Warning: Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 617

Hope that helps track down this issue.
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby KBGleason on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Woo! I don't know how or why but my comic has updated, though I still can't get into siteadmin.

And, of course, it turns out everything is all screwed up, so I still have stuff to fix. Fortunately I think I can just do it all on FTP now. It's mostly a time-traveling issue, which I'm pretty sure I know how to fix.
KBGleason

Postby SomethingWicked on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 am

I'm having the same problem everyone else seems to be as well. When I try and log into SiteAdmin it returns that it is an invalid username. I don't know if it helps, but my FTP name and password, as well as for the Forum, are both the same and have always been capitalized.

This is irksome, as everyone has said, as waiting 24 hours is a pain. However, recently I've noticed that it seems like not everything that I upload with FTP is updating. The comic is going on schedule, but it seems like the server picks and chooses what it updates ever 24 hours. I've had my HTML update but not my external CSS, so that new elements aren't styled, but the old styles are still up, showing that my link isn't broken...

It might just be me though?
SomethingWicked

Postby Namemaychange on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:41 am

Dunno. I've also noticed some trouble regarding to uploading stuff via FTP and its updates.

Heck, I'm tired of this. I just tried logging in for a last time, and yeah of course it failed. I already signed up in another site, I could upload and edit my comic right away and I haven't had any problem at all, so I guess I'll be staying there.

Well, see ya around. Hope you can solve the problem soon.
Namemaychange

Postby KBGleason on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:59 am

While I still can't get into siteadmin, I'm now able to upload and rearrange everything properly through ftp. It's been about two weeks since my comic first went live, but only about two days since everything went up like it was supposed to.

I've also got my comic running on another site, which while it is easier, I don't much like the layout.
KBGleason

Postby SomethingWicked on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Two weeks? Yowch. Is there a possibility that perhaps an admin we can contact to get our comic updated? I just need one full-site update and then the basics should be taken care of...

And is there any chance that SiteAdmin will be fixed in the near future? Reading previous posts it sounds like this has been a problem since early May.
SomethingWicked

Postby KBGleason on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:02 pm

Yeah, the two weeks thing is heinous, but everything I needed to rearrange went up properly in a matter of hours. I think there may just be super-tastic death-lag in getting new accounts up and running.

siteadmin still hates me, though.
KBGleason

Postby BionicDance on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:36 pm

I admit, I'm a smidge grumpy about this whole SiteAdmin thing...I'd really like to have my website properly prepared for the release of my comic (I've set a go-live date of July 2nd) but I'm having a hard time telling if I've got everything looking spiffy and ready to go when the site will only update at midnight...and if I've made a mistake, well, better luck tomorrow, right?

I have yet to be able to log on to SiteAdmin, and I haven't the least clue if I'm having the same exact problem as everybody else or if my username is all @#$%ed up...

I'm trying to be patient, honest...it's just...I've had this comic, this story, and these characters in my head for AGES, and now that I'm ready to show them to the world and I'm all excited...I'm having technical difficulties, and not in any way that I can be pro-active about fixing 'em. Kinna frustrating, to engage in a bit of massive understatement.

Don't mind me; just venting. But if something can be done about this soonishly, well, I'll be a very grateful BionicDance. S'all. Thanks! :)
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby SomethingWicked on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:47 pm

That is some death-lag, especially since I seemed to be having no problem at first. Everything would update at midnight, but over the last two or three days it's been less reliable...

And I empathize, BionicDance. Much the same problem here. (I'm honestly more irked as I'm the web designer, doing this for the comic artist, who is a good friend.) I hope they get this fixed soon, or at least give us some kind of heads-up, update, or compromise.
SomethingWicked

Postby BionicDance on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:57 pm

SomethingWicked wrote:And I empathize, BionicDance. Much the same problem here. (I'm honestly more irked as I'm the web designer, doing this for the comic artist, who is a good friend.) I hope they get this fixed soon, or at least give us some kind of heads-up, update, or compromise.

It would definitely help to hear something; patience is so much easier to exercise when you have an ETA.

And...I just looked at the FAQ, and it seems my comic can't even be listed in the database if I can't make and upload a banner, which I need to be logged into SiteAdmin to do. I plan to advertise out the yin-yang on Facebook, LJ, YouTube, and even a few mailing lists I'm on, but even so...!
BionicDance
Regular Poster

Postby KBGleason on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:14 pm

BionicDance wrote:it seems my comic can't even be listed in the database if I can't make and upload a banner, which I need to be logged into SiteAdmin to do

Not quite so serious an issue for me, as I don't plan on advertising for quite some time yet, but that's gotta be frustrating.

I've got a few images uploaded possibly-successfully that I can't quite figure out what the uploaded URLs should be, so I think I've got a banner somewhere that I can't actually locate.
KBGleason

Postby SomethingWicked on Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Site's still not updating and it's going on a week. Oddly enough, comic is going up on schedule, just all the coding and so on isn't...

Is there any hint to when at least this problem will be solved?
SomethingWicked

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center