[FIXED] Haven't Received Confirmation for FTP Password

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

[FIXED] Haven't Received Confirmation for FTP Password

Postby Aldran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:51 am

Please see three comments down for a detailed description of issue.
Last edited by Aldran on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHRONICLES OF GATHION: A tale of action, adventure and muffins...though mostly muffins.
Coming soon to Comic Genesis! In the meantime, check out the comic and more at http://gathion.deviantart.com
Aldran

Re: Page Visible, FTP still inaccessable?

Postby somestrangeflea on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:54 am

If you set your password using the link you got in the "Your account is ready" e-mail, but never got an e-mail confirming the password, then you've got the same problem I have.

EDIT: This message previously contained a link to another topic. The topic, and link, have since been deleted.
Last edited by somestrangeflea on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
So I put "***todays_notes***" on my index page...

...but my note for today is a text file containing...

"***todays_notes***"!

COMICGENESIS IS BASICALLY GOING TO DESTROY ITSELF AS SOON AS ANYONE GOES ONTO MY WEBSITE?
somestrangeflea

Postby Aldran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:58 am

Whoops...I could've sworn there weren't any other threads. I think my pointer hit the wrong thread when I was trying to open yours. :oops:
CHRONICLES OF GATHION: A tale of action, adventure and muffins...though mostly muffins.
Coming soon to Comic Genesis! In the meantime, check out the comic and more at http://gathion.deviantart.com
Aldran

Postby somestrangeflea on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:08 pm

I've deleted my thread, just so there aren't two on the same thing.

Me, earlier... wrote:
The Wikki wrote:When you receive your Welcome email, there will not be a password included. You need to set it up. Go to this page to set it up. Enter your FTP username (The one you signed up with. We used 'mycomic' as an example.), a new password, and then that same password again and click "Generate New Password".

(Note that "Generate New Password" means "Submit" and not "create something at random")

You should receive an e-mail almost instantly with an activation code. Return to the Lost Password Page and enter the code you got and click the "Activate" button. You should now be able to log in using your new password.

In short, bolded part isn't happening. It's been nearly a day since I tried.

The Page, after requesting the new password wrote:Looking for the comic...
Looking for the author...
Looking for the author...
Updating with password and activation key...
Sending email... Done!

Comic Name: inanothercastle

Oh, and it isn't being spam filtered or anything. Am I just not waiting long enough?

Since my original post and this thread, my site has gone live on the http.
So I put "***todays_notes***" on my index page...

...but my note for today is a text file containing...

"***todays_notes***"!

COMICGENESIS IS BASICALLY GOING TO DESTROY ITSELF AS SOON AS ANYONE GOES ONTO MY WEBSITE?
somestrangeflea

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Yes, I'd noticed that too.

I'll look into it (read:poke STrRedWolf and get him to look into it).

At the moment, new accounts will be running with the default password that is generated (a string of random numbers and letters) so guessing the current one would be nigh impossible. The Welcome Email used to send out the default one but there where a lot of times when it didn't work, so it was removed from the Welcome Email.

However, the issue here is why the New Email Verification email isn't going out... :ick:
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aldran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:04 pm

If it's not one thing, it's another, eh? It's too bad I promised to release the comic back in mid-January...I could've given myself a seven-week headstart instead of posting at DA. :lol:

I don't know if this helps any, but my e-mail account is through Yahoo.

Thanks for checking into it...hopefully not too many people are hung up over the same issue.
Aldran

Postby Thuselah on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm having the same problem.
my ftp username is asnailcomic
and I have gmail email
and I have mozilla firefox
I haven't gotten the activation code for the password I made
PLEASE HELP!
Thuselah

Postby Dragon69 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Alright, I have the same problem it seems...

did someone put a space in their password :wink:

can someone also do me a favour, does my site just show up as all black to anyone else? http://ameliasamulet.comicgenesis.com/
Dragon69

Postby Aldran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:21 pm

Yeah, it's just the generic template.
Aldran

Postby Dragon69 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Aldran wrote:Yeah, it's just the generic template.

The generic template is a black background and no text or pictures... how weird

EDIT: Never mind, it's just IE having a spaz
Dragon69

Postby Aldran on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Sorry, I misinterpreted your description.
Aldran

Postby Necrospawn0 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:26 am

Ya, I have the same problem... not to be impatient or anything, but is there any idea as to how long this will take?
"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

-Firefly

Necrospawn0
Regular Poster

Postby Comiccracker on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:35 am

Well, DNL you already know my info :P

But alas I too am also having this trouble.

Good thing I have patience... (^_~)

()--()
( ^_^ )
( ''---'' )o
Last edited by Comiccracker on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comiccracker

Postby DoGeeseSeeGod on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:03 am

Haven't got my e-mail yet either.
DoGeeseSeeGod

Postby Smug on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:46 am

Greetings everybody. I'm also having this problem. I genarated my password, but never got an e-mail. So I can't enter and begin work on the site. Woe!

Anyway. My FTP username is: strange-world.

Want's odd is that it seems to resigster my siteadmin name "Smug" but when I try to access it further I just get this.

bool(false) Finding FTP accounts...
SELECT user_unixname,user_id,user_password from KeenSystem.keen_users where user_id=''
works. Trying password
There are no comics available to you
Please add a comic by entering your ComicGenesis FTP username and Password in the boxes below.

And I've typed in everything I'd use, caps and everything. Someone please help.

Smug
Smug

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:40 am

Wheee! Lots of new users, lots of new problems!

Okay, here I go:

Password Activation emails are not being sent out! This is not deliberate, nor are we trying to annoy you. Hopefully, STrRedWolf will be able to fix it in the next day or two, but I can't promise anything. Apologies for the inconvenience.

@ Aldran - Lamentably, this is a site-wide issue. Two separate parts of the code send out emails for different reasons. One was recently fixed, the other still has not. So everybody that was waiting so long to get their accounts set up have had their accounts set up but still can't access them. Our bad.

@ Thuselah - The activation codes have not gone out, due to the problem mentioned above. This is affecting all new users. We ask for patience.

@ Dragon69 - This is a known bug for IE. There is an extra exclamation mark in the default template which makes the page show up as all black with no images or text in IE. This will be easy to fix - once you can get FTP access to change the templates. I'll add a tutorial to the Wiki on fixing this soon.

(Incidentally, I wrote most of the tutorials on the Wiki, seen here. It is probably a good idea for the new people to read them for two reasons - one, to understand how CG works and two, to check to make sure they are clear and easy to understand for people who have not used CG before. Feedback appreciated.)

@ Necrospawn0 - hopefully, in a day or two. In practice, there is no schedule at this time. STrRedWolf will know how long, but he does not usually post an ETA, he just fixes the problem.

@ comiccracker - This saga has been going on for way too long. Thank you for bearing with us. A new problem has come up that I was not aware of that will affect you. User accounts that start with a lower case are unable to access SiteAdmin. You will need to either create a new forum account (your comic account is not affected) where the first letter is a capital (you might also need a new email account to use) or drop a pm to either Kisai or STrRedWolf and ask them to change your username. Note that you will not be able to create an account like ComicCracker, but you can do something like Comic_cracker or Comiccracker2.

@ DoGeeseSeeGod - keep an eye on this thread.

@ Smug - you are (sort of) doing the right thing. When you log into SiteAdmin, it'll prompt you to add your comic. However, since you don't have your comic's FTP password (yet) you are unable to proceed. If you can get into SiteAdmin then that's great. For the time being, ignore it. Once you get your FTP password, you'll be able to add your comic in SiteAdmin and get going.

To all: apologies for the delays. We'll hopefully get everyone sorted soon.

Please be aware that most forum staff (like myself and the mods) are all unpaid volunteers. The two admins (Kisai and STrRedWolf) are the only to people who have the ability to change code and fix problems like this, and they do it as a part-time job. They still have their normal day jobs they have to go to to pay the bills.

Your patience is appreciated.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Re: Haven't Received Confirmation for FTP Password

Postby Aldran on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:49 am

You've been a huge help, thank you! :)

I've also modified the title of the thread, if that helps any.
Aldran

Postby Necrospawn0 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Thank you so much :D

ya, it turns out that I'm still waiting for some materials to ship to me... so the delay is actually good?
"If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

-Firefly

Necrospawn0
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:14 pm

I've also modified the title of the thread, if that helps any.

Yes,that does help, thank you.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Comiccracker on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 pm

I'm getting

http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/ wrote:Your browser did not return the expected response comiccracker

Referred from: http://us.mc569.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showM ... wgxE1LBpCg,

User Agent(Browser) reports it is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008120122 Firefox/3.0.5 ImageShackToolbar/5.0.0
No Proxy Detected
Your Actual IP Address: 67.207.228.148
Your browser is broken
Browser status: MSIE 7: Working
Firefox 2.0.0.4: Working
Safari 3.0.2: Working
Opera 9.21 (8776): Working
Nintendo DS Opera: Not working
Please use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Opera or something that supports HTTP Digest Authentication compliant with RFC2617!
Also you get this if you entered the wrong password, or have never logged out of forums.comicgenesis.com and back in after July 22nd 2007

Logout to try again (hit cancel)
Comiccracker

Next

Return to Help Center