Page 1 of 1
My comic is not showing up
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:43 am
by Evilplan
I went through the FAQ and tutorials, but my comic is not yet showing up. I deleted the sample comic, as I decided to redo the first few comics, and I uploaded the new comic in as "20061017.JPG" on Sunday, hoping to give it time to update by itself. Well, the old comic is gone, but the new one hasn't come in to take its place. It's showing up in the Public HTML file, but not on the front page. It's still trying to display the comic that is gone.
There's a file in the public html comics folder called ".htaccess". Do I delete this as well?
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 am
by Swikan
need to post a link to your strip, but I'm assuming it's
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/
something is wrong with the URL for your comic image. there's an extra "evilplan" in there.
Code: Select all
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/comics/evilplan.20060901.JPG
That 2nd one before the datename shouldn't be there.
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:49 am
by JTorch
Go into public_html/d/ and delete the page that was generated for the comic that you want to get rid of if you haven't already. If you only deleted the image, it will still display the page, but with an "image not found" thingy where the comic should be.
Edit: Also, what Swikan said.
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:54 pm
by Evilplan
I'm sorry, you're right, I should've posted a link. ^_^; I forgot that some people look at the code. Thank you so much.
Well, I made sure to delete wthe old file in d, so I know that can't be what was wrong. And that problem with the url is driving me crazy, since that's still for the old comic, not the new one. Not to mention the fact that the comic file never had that name. O.o
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:00 pm
by Swikan
The proper url would be:
Code: Select all
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/comics/20060901.JPG
As you can see, there is nothing there either. Are you using keentags?
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:12 pm
by Evilplan
yes. I checked the HTML on the page in my Keenspace FTP, and it has the ***todays_comics*** tag where the current source code on the site says
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/comics ... 060901.JPG
Is my tag wrong?
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:22 pm
by Black Sparrow
Make sure you put the comic (named in yyyymmdd.jpg format as they said) into you workspace/comics folder. Then, go into siteadmin and run an update. It won't update by itself in the middle of the day (only does that at midnight PST) so do a regular manual.
Give it a bit of time, and the tag SHOULD switch to the proper comic url.
Edit: Also, your site seems to be working fine in and of itself, so it looks like the Indextemplate is fine. This is an issue with the format or location of the comics. MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have deleted all traces of the sign-up comic before uploading. I may even go so far as to suggest deleting your index.html from your public_html folder (not workspace, of course!)
Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 pm
by Swikan
The tag is right, but something funky is going on. I don't know why it's putting that extra "evilplan" in there.
I may not be experienced enough to help you. I think you should make a post attaching a .txt file with your html code for your indextemplate and let Jtorch or one of the other website gurus have a look.
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:50 am
by Oualawouzou
The extra "evilplan" shouldn't pose any problem. You can have letter in your comic image name, as long as the numbers follow the date pattern. The first comic of any account gets the default name of "comicname.date.ext".
Oh, and
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/20060901.JPG isn't the proper URL of a comic. You forgot the "comics" sub-folder. It should be:
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/comics/20060901.JPG .
Now, here's what I discovered: you have a page "
http://evilplan.comicgenesis.com/indextemplate.html" . The good news is that that page works, with the new comic and all. The bad news is, that page shouldn't even exist. Do the following:
-Delete index.html in your public_html folder
-Delete indextemplate.html in your webpages folder (do NOT delete indextemplate.html in your workspace folder!)
-Do the same with dailytemplate.html if you have put it in two places as well
-Run another regular update.
Good luck!
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:54 am
by Swikan
You're right, O, regarding
isn't the proper URL
!! I am fixing that now!
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:30 am
by Evilplan
Thank you, Oualawouzou. I deleted all the index and index template files in my public html folder (but not the workspace!), and did a full update, just to make sure that it got everything. After the update went through, I checked back, and it still doesn't seem to be working. Any other ideas?
Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:30 pm
by Evilplan
Ah, it is working now! Thank you guys so much.
