New ad sizes
- Faub
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 3698
- Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
- Location: Missouri, USA
- Contact:
New ad sizes
Is anyone else seeing these? My site and a few others I've looked at are using obnoxiously huge banner ads. Could this be a bug in my HTML that's stretching the ads or has anyone else seen these? They're definitely larger than 468x60, closer to 750x80 but I don't have exact dimensions. I've been seeing them for the past few days and was just wondering.
- EMH
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 103
- Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:08 am
- Location: right next to nowhere
- Contact:
Also, there are the pop-ups.
width:whatever;
height:whatever;
overflow:hidden;
hmm... I'm not sure as to legality of this, but you could try using CSS:Digital War wrote:Aye, I was gonna bring it up earlier. We seem to be getting some 728 by 90 banners like keenspot does, and they're playing merry hell with my layout.
width:whatever;
height:whatever;
overflow:hidden;
Emergency Moderating Hologram - superhero alter ego of YarpsDat
don't PM me on this account. I usualy only log in to it when something needs malleting...
don't PM me on this account. I usualy only log in to it when something needs malleting...
- Superlance
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 974
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
- Location: ASMS, Mobile
- Contact:
-
ZOMBIE USER 19235
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 44
- Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am
>>
I have noticed the larger ones. Thankfully my comic layout easily accounts for them.
I have never had any popups on Keenspace. Then again, the only comic I read is my own. Still, if you have popups on Keenspace, you probably have spyware.
I have never had any popups on Keenspace. Then again, the only comic I read is my own. Still, if you have popups on Keenspace, you probably have spyware.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.
- Faub
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 3698
- Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
- Location: Missouri, USA
- Contact:
Okay, this is what I did on my main page and it seems to have worked:
Since the ads are all flash, they scale back to the proper size automatically.
Code: Select all
<style>
.keen_ad iframe { width:468px; height:60px; }
</style>
...
<div class="keen_ad">***advertisement***</div>
-
Zuri
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 174
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Contact:
There was a post regarding this over in the 'spot forums.
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=#1307001
Apparently the advertisment code was updated to allow for these huge, obnoxious ads because apparently they pay better.
Not that I agree with it myself.
Not a big fan of big ads, even less of a fan of NOT BEING TOLD about such a change PRIOR to its implimentation.
* grumbles *
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=#1307001
Apparently the advertisment code was updated to allow for these huge, obnoxious ads because apparently they pay better.
Not that I agree with it myself.
* grumbles *
~Purrs
**Zuri**
Werewolves, Vampires, and Puppet shows! <A href="http://shifters.keenspace.com"> Shifters: The Beast Within</a>
<a href="http://shifters.keenspace.com">
</a>
**Zuri**
Werewolves, Vampires, and Puppet shows! <A href="http://shifters.keenspace.com"> Shifters: The Beast Within</a>
<a href="http://shifters.keenspace.com">
</a>I never trusted the places that suggested incorporating the advertisement in your layout.
Yeah.
I would just put ***advertisement***<hr /> and it's fine.
EDIT: removing the bad code.
Yeah.
I would just put ***advertisement***<hr /> and it's fine.
EDIT: removing the bad code.
Last edited by YarpsDat on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."
"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
- Phact0rri
- The Establishment (Moderator)

- Posts: 5772
- Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
- Location: ????
- Contact:
yeah I add the ***advertisement*** before my first <table> so my design doesn't get affected. seem to the be the sure fire way. even if those gigantic ads to seem a bit obtrusive... sometimes when I load the forums I get this flash of a banner that takes up hald the vertical screen. so I guess it could be much worse.
- STrRedWolf
- Confuzzled CG Admin

- Posts: 2580
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: undef;
- Contact:
Yes, folks, the big ads were comming, by golly, and now they're here. Please adjust your sites to allow for a full honking 760-pixel-wide ad. I'll be doing the same myself for mine in a few days.
BIG! HONKNG! ADS!
BTW -- pitch folks to get KeenSpot Premium, so they won't see those BIG! HONKING! ADS! I'm working on a way to get the weekly pages and everything in /premium working again. Hint hint!
BIG! HONKNG! ADS!
BTW -- pitch folks to get KeenSpot Premium, so they won't see those BIG! HONKING! ADS! I'm working on a way to get the weekly pages and everything in /premium working again. Hint hint!
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
- Kisai
- Goddess of Light

- Posts: 3276
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: The Past, the Present, The future
- Contact:
DO NOT:
1. attempt to hide the ad
2. attempt to resize the ad
This violates the advertisor agreements, which means bad things.
DO:
1. Stop using a layout table, put the ad outside of it.
2. Adjust your layout so you don't get trompped on by 768x90 ads.
...
Oh and BTW, if you are running any firewall/privacy enhancement that strips referrers or hides ads... bad you.
You know the reason that the 468x60 banner is going away is because such stupid software auto-hides the normal banners. Blame the firewall software makers.
1. attempt to hide the ad
2. attempt to resize the ad
This violates the advertisor agreements, which means bad things.
DO:
1. Stop using a layout table, put the ad outside of it.
2. Adjust your layout so you don't get trompped on by 768x90 ads.
...
Oh and BTW, if you are running any firewall/privacy enhancement that strips referrers or hides ads... bad you.
You know the reason that the 468x60 banner is going away is because such stupid software auto-hides the normal banners. Blame the firewall software makers.




