HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Postby Knightsaber on Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:45 pm

Laxington wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question yet, but here it goes;

I signed on to keenspace, and recieved a verification email, along with a link to my site, and checked out the link, sure enough my comic was up. I went to go log in, and it wouldn't except my username or password, so I clicked on the new password link, filled it out, and have been waiting since. I know I probably sound very impatient, since I've only been waiting for 2 hours about, but I was wondering how long it takes to send the message.

Also, I'm not quite sure if I filled out the forum right, how exactly are we supposed to fill it out?

I mean, for 'comic username' do we type in the comic name, the username, or both?

and the 'custom password' is it the password we recieved in the email, or a new one that we make up?

Sorry if this sounds very simple to most of you, it's just that I've never done this before, and am very confused.

Hiya, the emails take some time to get to people. It's worth waiting.

All I can say about the username is what I did. My comic name is Magic Men, so I used magicmen as a username, to get the magicmen.keenspace domain. So it means username :)

The custom password is a new one that you make up.
Three normal guys. When their world and the trading card game worlds collide...does hilarity ensue?
Knightsaber
Regular Poster

Postby Dark_zero on Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:43 pm

The login wouldn't except my password either.I put it in and it dosn't except so i changed my password and it still didn't except.
Dark_zero

bounced emails

Postby Smorris on Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:27 pm

So I signed up for an account with Keenspace, waited about a week, and then tried to sign up for the forums to ask a question. Trouble is, when I signed up, I didn't get an email. Then, I signed up for the forums again, using a different email address, and got a verification note immediately. So it seems my ISP (my old college actually) is for some reason dropping the email.

Is this a common problem? I gathered from reading through these forums that this is actually a frequent occurance. Or do many of the cases discuss turn out to be just impatience?

Whatever the case, what do I do now? Do I have to wait the requisite 2 weeks to sign up for a new one? Now that I know this is the problem, I would like to sign up again, but under the same name... plus since this is largely a politically based strip, it would be nice to get it up there before it gets too dated. :)

Anyway the user name of the strip is debton. Thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

-Scott
Smorris
Regular Poster

Postby Hibiki Takami on Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:39 am

MMMk, so I got the verification email and replied to it. So all I gotta do is wait for a week for the other email to come right and I should be fine?
Hibiki Takami

bounced emails, cont.

Postby Smorris on Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:09 pm

So I sent an email to this old college of mine wondering what the problem was. Turns out that they have spam filters that I never see, and that Keenspace was flagged by that filter. Here's what the gentleman from the school told me:

In order to alleviate the burden of spam sent from compromised machines, we've recently implemented a policy of not accepting mail from machines that don't look up (via dns) to the hostname that they claim to be sending mail from. This is the case for keenspace (their mailserver appears to actually call itself butch.keenspot.com, but the IP does not resolve to that name).

He managed to restore my forum verification email, but I'm still waiting to see if the signup email is back there somewhere. So I guess something's funny about the dns and the IP for Keenspace? Might be worth looking into, could solve some headaches on at least this board. :)

-Scott
Smorris
Regular Poster

Re: bounced emails, cont.

Postby Kisai on Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:02 am

smorris wrote:So I sent an email to this old college of mine wondering what the problem was. Turns out that they have spam filters that I never see, and that Keenspace was flagged by that filter. Here's what the gentleman from the school told me:

In order to alleviate the burden of spam sent from compromised machines, we've recently implemented a policy of not accepting mail from machines that don't look up (via dns) to the hostname that they claim to be sending mail from. This is the case for keenspace (their mailserver appears to actually call itself butch.keenspot.com, but the IP does not resolve to that name).

He managed to restore my forum verification email, but I'm still waiting to see if the signup email is back there somewhere. So I guess something's funny about the dns and the IP for Keenspace? Might be worth looking into, could solve some headaches on at least this board. :)

-Scott

Actually interesting, considering that the servers were switched in februrary
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Smorris on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:31 pm

Could someone tell me the address and/or IP that signup emails or change password emails are sent from so that I can have them whitelisted by my college? Thanks.

-Scott
Smorris
Regular Poster

Postby Theocryst on Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:41 pm

Well I was gone for a week, and I got my activation in the meantime! Well, time to get to work. So... ignore my previous posts, I suppose.
Theocryst

Postby Kisai on Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:03 pm

smorris wrote:Could someone tell me the address and/or IP that signup emails or change password emails are sent from so that I can have them whitelisted by my college? Thanks.

-Scott

keenspace.com aka butch.keenspot.com -> 66.220.2.7
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby YarpsDat on Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:15 am

Kisai wrote:
smorris wrote:Could someone tell me the address and/or IP that signup emails or change password emails are sent from so that I can have them whitelisted by my college? Thanks.

-Scott

keenspace.com aka butch.keenspot.com -> 66.220.2.7

Yeah, that's what ping says too:
"Pinging butch.keenspot.com [66.220.2.7] with 32 bytes of data"

But according to what they said the actual mailserver seems to be posting from some other IP.
(ie. the IP of the mailserver does not resolve to the name)

So...
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eunice_P on Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:30 pm

Hi. ^^; I have problem signing up as the form rejects the phone number of my country code. I key in my country code as 011-60-.... but it still rejects phone number. Just to inform you that I'm from Malaysia. Could you help me out?
Eunice_P
Regular Poster

Help =(

Postby Chameleon on Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:02 am

After reading all the FAQs, the Tutorials, Tagtorials, and all the Help Threads related to Keenspace sign-ups, I managed to get all of my previous questions solved.

However, one has been left unresolved, and after double-checking, it is my last resort to post this:

When I signed up for my account, first my file size was too big, then my area code didn't match my location (I finally figured this out), then I did resize (file size is now 115 KB), and my phone now matches my location (I had listed my phone, but my location (where I *will* be in the fall, since I'm moving cross-country), but that aside, everything's fixed.

Problem? I'm not receiving any page that says "Thank you, your request has been submitted, please wait for your activation email (7 days)." I'm not even receiving any page that says "ERROR ALERT - you have *insert number* errors, please go fix them" - What I get instead is, the very same page that holds the form to sign up for a keenspace account.

Am I supposed to get a page that says "Request has been submitted. Wait for your email" or do I just accept that it might have been sent already and then sit tight and wait for a week?
OMFGKITTEE!!
-----------------------
Chameleon

Postby Phalanx on Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:29 am

Eunice_P wrote:Hi. ^^; I have problem signing up as the form rejects the phone number of my country code. I key in my country code as 011-60-.... but it still rejects phone number. Just to inform you that I'm from Malaysia. Could you help me out?

:) Our country code is 00-609-...

Check it here: http://www.countrycallingcodes.com
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Gothic_velma on Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:54 pm

Can u help me? It's not loading when I fill out the form to join keenspace, I follow all of the instructions carefully, but for sum reason it never loads all the way. I've tried just letting it sit and load but all it did was freeze the compy...is a kilobyte bigger than a megabyte?
Gothic_velma

hi, new guy, need help

Postby Prisionero on Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:27 pm

hi! I'm new here, and I got my confirmation number AND my password of keenspace, but there's a problem: I CAN'T log in to pdate my comic, I went to my comic site and it is there, but I can't log in with the password I got on the e-mail, it said that it may not work for 2 to 5 days, well, that time has passed and I still can't, is this normal or is there a problem with my account?
Prisionero

bytes

Postby Chameleon on Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:07 pm

is a kilobyte bigger than a megabyte?

sizes go like this (smallest to largest):

bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes (although one terabyte is equal to 1000 GB, and you only find an average of 40 to 50 GB of storage on most computers, so that's a hell of a lot). Bytes are especially tiny, and if your picture is something like 1 byte, I'd be worried if I were you.
OMFGKITTEE!!
-----------------------
Chameleon

Re: Previous Post

Postby Chameleon on Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:33 am

OK, thanks, never mind, I tried signing up again today, and it worked just fine. Dunno what the problem was yesterday. ::shrug::
OMFGKITTEE!!
-----------------------
Chameleon

Postby Nekojimbob on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:32 am

do you host sprite comics? i really want to know?
Nekojimbob

Postby YarpsDat on Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:57 am

I'm not sure... I think we do, but there was some talk about including copyright information in all the images... and I'm not sure if that's enough. Someone else please explain.

Anyways, the point is: we want nothing that may get keenspace sued for copyright violation.
You could read some page about copyrights and do everything to make your sprite comic legal. If it's legal, it's fine.

Oh, BTW, Oryginal sprites are fine.
(oryginal=made by you, from scratch. Recoloured sprite is not an oryginal)

But perhaps... it would be easier to just draw the comics? Really, nowadays most readers avoid sprite comics, in most cases the initial reaction is "Eugh! sprites, get it off, get it off! *Alt+F4* Yuck!"
And drawing a comic is usually more fun, and you have more possibilities, and it's not really that difficult. Possibly even easier than making a good sprite comics.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero

Postby Eunice_P on Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:31 pm

Phalanx wrote:
Eunice_P wrote:Hi. ^^; I have problem signing up as the form rejects the phone number of my country code. I key in my country code as 011-60-.... but it still rejects phone number. Just to inform you that I'm from Malaysia. Could you help me out?

:) Our country code is 00-609-...

Check it here: http://www.countrycallingcodes.com

I keyed in the country code as 00-609-... but it still gives me the same error. I've been to http://www.countrycallingcodes.com and the website is actually giving me 011-60-... code. I'm sure I did put in the info correctly: calling from US to Malaysia. T_T
Eunice_P
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center