HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Lonehoundoom95 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:55 pm

My sister and I are interested in making an account, because she can't write a plot for crap and I can't draw for crap, and I was wondering- when it says to please not use more than one author name, does that mean no multiple accounts, or no listing more that one author?
Lonehoundoom95

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:56 am

It just means that you can't list more than one person to be the "official" author within the CG database.

You can have as many people as you want working on the comic, and you can certainly credit them within the comic (such as in the margins) and on the site itself (such as in the banner or in text on each page). It's just for legal reasons that CG asks that one person be nominated as "the" author.

Indeed, there are a number of community projects (such as the oft-mentioned "How not to run a webcomic") where almost every update is done by a different person.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Brett MB on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:57 pm

I received my Account Creation Verification and it went successfully.

I received the "Your ComicGenesis account is ready" email, stating my:
Sitename: theskin-flynts.comicgenesis.com
FTP username: theskin-flynts (all lowercase)
I try to set up my password, but "user name not found." I use the FTP user name, right?

I will be using the web-FTP, what will my Web-FTP 1.5.2 password be?

I cannot create a CGWIKI id. I've tried Brettmb, BrettMB, Brett MB, and Brett (all beginning with a capital letter, as instructed.)
Brett MB

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:19 pm

1 : Good!

2 : This is how you change passwords. You should just need your comic's FTP name (theskin-flynts) and it should send you the password to your email. However, the - bit might be causeing confusion. I'll have to check with the admins, since yours is the first comic account that I have seen with a hyphen in it. Hopefully that won't affect it.

However, having gone to your site, at the moment it is giving a 403 (Forbidden) error. This is probably because it is a new account and the first index has not been generated yet. Give it another day or two and once you can see your comic (with the sample you submitted) you ought to be able to get everything else to work.

3 : In the CGWiki, the "Changing Passwords" page that I linked above tells you how to set the password that you want. If you wanted to use "password" as your password (don't) then that would be your FTP password that you would use to access your comic account via FTP and you would also use that password to add your comic account in SiteAdmin.

Note that you use your forum name and password to log into the forum, SiteAdmin and the wiki...

4 : ...which would then tell you that you do not need to create an account to use the CGWiki - you use your forum name and password. However be aware that the CGwiki won't let you log into the wiki until you have made three or more posts here in the forums. So ask a few more questions and you should be good to go. Also refer to the "Can't log into the CGWiki?" thread in the Help Centre.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Brett MB on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:13 am

Thanks. So far I have tried #2, i removed the hyphen (theskinflynts) and it looks like my request is being processed...
Brett MB

Registration Time-out?

Postby Pathen on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:30 am

Hey there. Several days ago, a friend of mine who is helping me build the site design for my comic convinced me to try out ComicGenesis. I registered from the join-page and had no trouble filling out the various forms etc...

But I'm wondering if anyone's had trouble with actually getting the 'Verify' button to follow through (I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I tried my best to browse the forum/wiki before posting here). After pushing the 'Verify' button, the browser was left to hang with the 'loading' symbol in the corner for several long minutes. After this, the page was refreshed and all of the forms cleared to blank.

I've been waiting a few days since then, but never received any kind of confirmation E-mail that my request was received. I don't think it's an issue with SPAM filters, since I've used the same E-mail to make this forum account and had no troubles getting it registered.

Is it worth trying to re-apply, or is this typical? Any advice would be appreciated. :)
Pathen

Postby boris on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:10 am

Hi, I've got the same sort of problem as someone above. I'm not amazing with computers.
I sent in a sample and I had an email back saying my account is ready, with a sitename, username and password. It said to wait at least 24 hours and it has been about 2 weeks.
I got an account with the forum, and i downloaded an FTP thing. I also created a password. That was 2 days ago.
I can't login, nor can I see my page (which i am lead to believe would have my sample on it.
I don't know if somethings gone wrong of i should just wait a few more days. So yeah, thats mostly the whole thang. Should I wait longer or did i miss something out? Thanks
boris

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:26 pm

@Pathen: I clicked on your sig image and it took me to your comic at imaginary.comicgenesis - I assume that you managed to get it all sorted? Or is it a different comic that you are talking about?

If it is a different comic, then if you fill in the registration form but it is not verified within 14 days, the application is dropped. This means that you would need to re-register (but you can use the same name and other details). If you are still inside the 14 days, then try verifying from a different computer. After you click "Verify" you should see a new screen with "verification complete".

@boris: what is the name of your comic? You say "nor can I see my page" - can you elaborate on that? Do you get a 404 error? Do you see a plain black screen? Or something else?

When you say "I can't log in", what are you trying to log into? If you are logging into the forum, the CGWiki or SiteAdmin then you use your forum name and password. If you are using the FTP program to log into your account directly, then you use your FTP name and password. What FTP program are you using?
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby boris on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:16 am

RE: Dr Neo Lao- The name of the comic should be boris. if i put boris.comicgenesis.com into the address box i get a 404
I also can't log into the siteadmin to add anything to the comic. i can log into the forum, obviously, but the FTP won't work or siteadmin. I'm using filezilla.
thanks very very much Dr
boris

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:10 pm

It sometimes takes several hours (up to 48) for new comics to go live and become functional. I just went to http://boris.comicgenesis.com/ and it is now running (Ninja Squid by Stuart Thomas). So your account should now be good to go.

In order to get into SiteAdmin, you will need to change your username. More detailed information and how to fix it here.

You might be having trouble with logging into your comic via FTP if the default password you were issued with does not work. In order to eliminate this, you can set your own FTP password.

Filezilla is the FTP program that I use and recommend. If you have any trouble with it, start a new thread and we'll get you sorted.

Also, if you hadn't seen it already, Squid Ninja.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Heartfang on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:42 pm

wow u people really work, there are over 60 pages of help here.

anyway, my friend and i plan to launch a comic together and we were wondering if there was a way to make the site invisible until we were done setting up or if as soon as we register, the page is up.

thx for the help.
Heartfang

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:48 am

As soon as you register, the page is up.

There are various ways to keep a project "secret" until it has reached an acceptable level from the perspective of the author(s). The simple way is to not tell anybody about it. If you have an account on CG, even if it has been running for years and you have hundreds of comics up, nobody is going to know about it until you start advertising. The only time that a comic is "advertised" against the 'consent' of the author is after you have registered but before your site goes live. All sites in this state are listed on the "comics about to be created" list. This is a debugging feature of CG and 99% of CG users (not counting normal visitors, just authors) don't know about it.

If you have a comic that you absolutely, positively want nobody to see until you have the site layout to your satisfaction, then the simple way is to create five "generic" images that will not be part of your comic and use those as placeholders on your site until you are happy with the site. Then, once you are happy, you can upload all the comics you have ready to go, delete the five placeholders and start telling everyone about the comic. *

It's usually not a good idea to start advertising a comic until there are at least 20 or more comics in the archive anyway, so people can get a good idea of what the comic is about.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

* The reason for using five is so that you can test the "next" "back" "first" and "latest" buttons, should you choose to use that function.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ttac2 on Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm not sure if this has been answerd before, but I cant log into CG Siteadmin

I changed my username to the one you see now and everthing, but it is telling me that my username doesnt exist.
I cant work out what I've dont wrong lol

any help would be appreciated ^_^
Ttac2

Postby Jpac on Sat May 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi and thanks (to Dr Neo Lao) in advance for the help.

When I log in to Siteadmin, three instances of Goosebump City appear on the login screen. I'd like to know if there's any way for me to get rid of the two extra instances. I fear clicking the "x" in the delete column at the right of two of the instances, because I don't know if that's there to get rid of the instance or delete the entire comic. D:

I took a snapshot of Siteadmin in case it will help.

It's kind of wide, and I don't want to stretch the page, so here's a link to the image.
Last edited by Jpac on Mon May 11, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GooseBump City - A comic about life... the life of toys anyway. (We still aren't doing anything new)
Shapes, the Unanimated Series - It's seriously just a square, a triangle, and a circle (It's arrived, but not ready to be shown)
Halloween Cameo Caper 2009 . . . Sign up.
Currently reading: Atavism - Cope wins 'cause he replied first (I can't believe it concluded!)
Brothers (and Sisters) in Joining:
Hydriatus | evelynp | Xaybiance The Weird | poporetto | ]Blaze Series | Derek Dragomir | piggylove1940 | Synaptic-misfires
(I'm only allowed five URL's, so I'll just rotate)
Jpac
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun May 10, 2009 3:12 pm

It's happened before and yes, I beleive you should go ahead and click the X - you know you want to!

What that X will do is de-link the comic from your forum account. It won't delete the actual comic. So if clicking the X removes a single instance or removes all three, you won't have any trouble. If all three are deleted, you'll easily be able to re-add the comic by submitting the ftp name and password again.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheBeege on Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Is 9 days' wait normal after signing up to receive a password? Is a denial message sent, or is one left hanging? (my art isn't... good even X-D)

Also, you guys need help with this stuff? I'd be interested in lending a hand if possible and allowed. I'm a student @ Georgia Tech studying computational media.
TheBeege

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 am

Also, you guys need help with this stuff?

Define "stuff".

Nine days? Okay, let's see what stage you are up to. The first thing that should have happened is that you should have filled out the registration/application form. Shortly after that you would have gotten the Confirmation Email.

In this email you are asked to confirm that yes, you really do want to get a comic account and you need to copy a confirmation code from the email to the CG site.

Seven days (give or take) after you confirm your application, you are supposed to get the Welcome Email which basically says "welcome aboard" and gives you your comic url and may or may not have a password.

Now, if you didn't get the first email, then check your junk mail folder. If you definitely did not get it, then your application is deleted after 14 days and you can apply again. Note that some ISP's and email providers block CG emails. What company is your email with? (We don't need your address, just the bit after the @ symbol).

If you did get the first one and are waiting on the second one, then there might be slight delay on occasion, but it is normally there inside of ten days at the most. Any longer and something has gone wrong somewhere.

What name did your comic have? We can look it up to see if it is in the CG system and what stage it is up to.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheBeege on Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Stuff = anything that can be done remotely. I can do a good bit of coding in SQL and am willing to learn PHP or anything else used. I could just help get things processed if you just need human hands. Based on some posts I've read, seems like you guys have been swamped and/or having troubles in general lately. The concept is great, and there's some quality stuff showing up here. I'd love to help in any way possible. Still a student, but I learn fast and have safe development practices (QA experience, software design knowledge, versioning, etc.). Not looking for a job or anything, just want to help out.

Well, I received the confirmation code, input it and saw an affirmative reply on the page. I've not received an e-mail since that. No URL or password. Nothing from comicgenesis in my spam folder or deleted folder.

Hmm, alrighty. I'll be more patient and wait a few more days. I'm sure it'll get pushed through eventually.

The name's dudemandudeguy. It'd be excellent if you could look it up ^.^ Thanks!
TheBeege

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 am

Well, I see your application on the submissions awaiting creation page (second from the bottom when I looked).

Your url is 404'ing at the moment but in another day or three it ought to start showing up. You should get the welcome email around that time, though I find it odd that you have not received an email at all yet.

Offers of help need to be directed to the parent company, KeenSpot Entertainment since CG is an actual business (subsidiary actually). So we can have as many mods on the forum to help out with basic stuff, but any code-related back-end stuff has to be handled by employees. We love offers of help though. Were you'd be most appreciated by the community would probably be helping people set up their comic sites, though you'll probably want to get a handle on that yourself first.

In the meantime, feel free to help out in the Help Centre with the html based questions people ask. All help is appreciated.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby TheBeege on Fri May 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Well, that's definitely a useful page to know about haha
Ahh, excellent, thanks. I'm sure an e-mail will pop up soon enough.

Aww, but yeah I'd be down for helping people get setup. Just gotta get mine running.

Alrighty. Sounds like a plan. Thanks again for all the info
TheBeege

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center