HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:45 am

Odd.

You joined recently, but the first letter in your username is lower case...

Due to a quirk of the CGWiki, most users have a capital for the first letter. Your username ought to be Comiccracker, not comiccracker. Try logging out of the forum, logging back into the forum with Comiccracker and see if that works.

If it does not, re-register on the Forums with a name like Comiccracker2 (or something better) and see if that account lets you log in. You'll be able to keep using the current account to post and stuff, just use the other when you want to log into SiteAdmin.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Comiccracker on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:14 am

Dr Neo Lao wrote:Odd.

You joined recently, but the first letter in your username is lower case...

Due to a quirk of the CGWiki, most users have a capital for the first letter. Your username ought to be Comiccracker, not comiccracker. Try logging out of the forum, logging back into the forum with Comiccracker and see if that works.

If it does not, re-register on the Forums with a name like Comiccracker2 (or something better) and see if that account lets you log in. You'll be able to keep using the current account to post and stuff, just use the other when you want to log into SiteAdmin.

Will that really work? i mean putting the 2 behind it? or will that just mess things up?

*EDIT*

everywhere i read it says i have to use the email i signed up with. i just tried to register Comic_cracker and it says that i can't becasue i already have this account using the comics email address....
Comiccracker

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 pm

If you need a second forum account for any reason (like trying something out) then no, you can use any email address you want (just make sure it is a valid one).

The 2 has nothing to do with it - the important part is to make sure that the first letter is a capital.

Try logging out of the forum, logging back into the forum with Comiccracker and see if that works.

How did that go?

If creating a new forum account is not what you are after, send a pm to either Kisai or STrRedWolf (the admins) and ask them to change your forum username from comiccracker to Comiccracker.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dragon69 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:06 pm

So, um... Not to sound rude or anything but is there actually someone around to help getting a new comic up and running or have new sign ups in closed but we can still submit the forms? I am really wanting to get my comic off the ground but I have only ever received the activation e-mail (and yes I have posted in the sticky section)
Dragon69

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:24 am

I'm not sure what's going on with the new registration thingy. It's been borked for a while now.

Lamentably, only the admins can sort those issues out. And Comic Genesis isn't a business - it's a part of KeenSpot, who pay the two admins a bit to manage CG. But the admins have their normal day jobs to pay the bills and such. All other staff are unpaid volunteers.

On the plus side, once the account is up and running, it is totally worth it - unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth (for all intents and purposes. If a comic becomes so huge that it is a drain on CG resources, then that comic is often bumped up to KeenSpot where the author gets paid to do the comic).

In the meantime, the best thing to do is keep drawing / creating new strips. If you really, really want to start getting "published" right away, you can sign up for an account on one of the dozens of "free website" or "free blog" sites that are around. That will get you on-line temporarily until your CG account goes active.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Comiccracker on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:27 am

Yes, I have tried to sign in as Comiccracker, but alas, it has not worked. I tried everything i can think of. but I will contact kisai or RedWolf about the changing of the forum name maybe that will work. Unfortunately i am afraid that it may not work and i will have to try to make another account next Sunday. & by that time i will be in DC for the inauguration of Obama as a choir trip. That's why i wanted it up. My sister is going to be making sure things go up if it gets active but currently she doesn't know all the information to re register the account.. *sigh* I guess i will have to fill her in on the info and have her re start it... If this doesn't work.

Also i tried with Comiccracker2... and it doesn't work.

Thank you Dr. Neo Lao.

Well, maybe i should just wait another week to see if it works *sigh* But if you know anything i can do until then to maybe get it working I would be greatly appreciative.

BTW: I don't think i mentioned this before (must of slipped my mind)

I am running on Vista service pack 1, Mozilla (recent edition), i use yahoo as a email client. maybe there is something between them & CG that i don't know about?
Comiccracker

Postby Universalman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 pm

I was able to register on these forums succesfully, and I can log in to siteadmin succesfully, but I can't "add" my comic from there.

I get the following message:

array(3) { ["comic_id"]=> string(5) "33466" ["user_id"]=> string(5) "31571" ["jam_flag"]=> string(1) "0" } Finding FTP accounts...
SELECT user_unixname,user_id,user_password from KeenSystem.keen_users where user_id='31571'
works. Trying password
Password does not match.
There are no comics available to you
Please add a comic by entering your ComicGenesis FTP username and Password in the boxes below.

What I also find suspicious is that after I first went to sign up for a password at http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080/ ... ssword.cgi , it told me that it succesfully registered it and sent me email, I never actually got an "Activation email".

Any help on what I can do? Thanks.
Universalman

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:58 am

Lamentably, that is the current issue that we are trying to fix, and you figured out the problem correctly: the emails are not being sent from the server.

Once you get your FTP password you will be able to add your comic to your forum account and edit the settings. You will also be able to access your account directly and upload files and change the templates to alter the look of your comic.

At this stage, there isn't anything you can do except wait. I suggest reading over some of the tutorials in the CGWiki.

Your patience is appreciated.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thraxis on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:43 pm

I apologize if I ask a question that has already been answered, but I am having trouble getting into comic genesis. I have already received my confirmation email activation email from comic genesis, but the password activation isn't sending an activation email. It says on the cg wiki that the activation email for my password should be sent "almost instantly", but it hasn't been sent in the last five to ten minutes. I tried a few times in case of computer error, and also tried variants of my username (such as lower/uppercase first letter and username.comicgenesis.com). None of these has worked. Is the automatic mailer down, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

--Thraxis

PS (my comic is going to be Arysk and Co., arysk.comicgenesis.com)

PSS My apologies, I see that my issue is the current one being worked on. I look forward to producing my comic as soon as you get the problem fixed. Thanks.
Even the might of the Legendary Arysk can be stymied by unsolved technical difficulties...

In other news: All hail Cthulhu! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Thraxis

Postby Theta on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm having the same problem as Thraxis, except I got my activation e-mail about 2 weeks ago and just found it in my e-mail. I'm not getting the e-mail response to activate my password I'm guessing?
Theta

Postby Thraxis on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:44 pm

theta> your confirmation email should have a link in it to go to the lost password screen (to set it in the first place). The problem is that the setting of the new password then is activated via email, and that email doesn't send.

--Thrax
Even the might of the Legendary Arysk can be stymied by unsolved technical difficulties...

Thraxis

Postby Theta on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:16 pm

but it asks for an activation code, doesn't it?
Theta

Postby Thraxis on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:31 pm

yah, that's what is *supposed* to be emailed to us :shifty:

Thraxis

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:16 am

Theta wrote:...except I got my activation e-mail about 2 weeks ago and just found it in my e-mail.

There are two emails that are (supposed to be) sent to you.

The first is when you fill in the signup form. This is known as the Verification Email and looks like this. With this email, you verify that you really do want an account.

The second is known as the Welcome Email and looks like this. This arrives seven or more days after the Verification Email.

If you don't reply to the Verification email within fourteen days, your application is dropped and you need to re-apply from scratch. We had some trouble through December and January where the second email wasn't being sent. That problem has been fixed. If you don't reply to the second email, then there is no problem - it is only sent to provide you with information, not collect it.

The current problem is that a different email, the one to set up the FTP password is currently not being sent out. This is why all the new people are unable to get their comics up and running.

Which email is it that you just found?
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm

the welcome e-mail
Theta

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:47 pm

I won't lose the comic site because I can't update it, will I?
Theta

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 am

I'd like to say definitely not - but I can't guarantee it.

On the plus side, you are in the same boat as a bout 130 other new users who are unable to update their comics.

Normally, no, you would not lose your account for non-updating. There are comics still running on CG that have not updated since this place was known as KeenSpace. Having said that, there is a script that is run every so often that deletes accounts that have less than three comics. Logically, this should have been de-activated for the time being since there are so many new users who are unable to update.

However, there is a slight possibility that this has been overlooked. I doubt it, but it is possible. Don't mean to alarm you, just being honest.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Theta on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Well, thank you, that eases my nerves a little bit.
Theta

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:04 pm

No problem.

However, your sig image is outside the allowed sizes for the CG forums. You will need to shrink it by about 40% please.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby whenfirefalls on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 am

The system lets me log into the forums, but not my admin page. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
whenfirefalls

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center