HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Kisai on Fri May 02, 2008 2:32 pm

BtaraKtahn wrote:I'm not uploading anything.

That's the error I get everytime that I log into the siteadmin.

I enter my name/password and hit the Okay button, the page clears, then loads up that error followed by
the rest of the page and graphics. It continues to show up everytime I add anything there or try to
update the site from the siteadmin.

Internet Explorer 6, SP2

The error you see has nothing to do with siteadmin and has more to do with the upgrade from phpBB2 to phpBB3, in that part of the new siteadmin was based on phpBB2's template engine. Since phpBB2 is no longer on the system, it's unable to determine if the template has changed.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Bluephoenix on Sat May 17, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi, so am I right in thinking it will take a while to get my verification email? I tried signing up twice in a row before seeing that I should just wait.

when should I expect that?
Bluephoenix

Postby Kisai on Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Bluephoenix wrote:Hi, so am I right in thinking it will take a while to get my verification email? I tried signing up twice in a row before seeing that I should just wait.

when should I expect that?

A minimum of 2 days, if you don't receieve anything by the 8th day, you didn't enter a good email address. The system deletes all un-verified signups on the 14th day.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby Bluephoenix on Sun May 18, 2008 11:54 am

thanks so much!
Bluephoenix

Postby Dread on Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 am

I just *VERY* recently signed up for CG and I am wondering if my email is bad, since I'm with Rogers and they merged with Yahoo! and of course, they use their email system as well. Does that mean I'm somewhat screwed?

EDIT: It was approved so disregard this message, thanks.
Dread

Postby Mauveshirt on Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 am

I've accidentally signed up for multiple accounts under the wrong name/email. When I was told I needed to sign up for the forums in order to log into siteadmin, I signed up with a different username than I'd requested a week before. Then I figured I needed to sign up with the right username, so I used a different email, different from the one I used before. :roll: I've PMd a few mods to see if I can have these accounts deleted so I can sign up under one name under the right email, but no one's answered me. Does anyone know how to delete accounts? Or am I just totally screwed and need to go looking for another site?
I guess I could just delete the other account and change the email on this one.
Mauveshirt

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon May 26, 2008 3:55 pm

No, you're not totally screwed. Not even a little bit.

With your comic account, that's the important one. It takes a week and a bit to get it working, so get that one up and running. it's important that you use an email account that you are going to have for a long time because you won't be able to change that email address after you submit your application. We'll call this Comic Email and it will provide you with your comic's FTP name and password.

Then you need to register with the forums. The username on the forums and the email that you use can be the same as your comic's email and name, but does not have to be. You can have the comic whee.comicgenesis.com with the email whee@hotmail.com then register on the forums with the name Bobby and use the email joejoe@cartas.br and it would not matter (so long as you know what is what).

With the extra accounts that you want to delete:

Forum accounts you can just ignore. Any forum accounts that are inactive or have no posts are routinely deleted every few weeks / months. If you have a comic account that you want to delete, just remove any comic images and html pages from the public_html folder and the accounts will be deleted after 90 days.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby IKittens on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:34 pm

Um, excuse me, I have entered my e-mail verification code... about three times now and I am not getting my password, and it's been about 5 days... am I not qualified or something? Or am I doing something wrong?
IKittens

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:29 am

1 - You submit the form.
2 - You get an automatic email, which you reply to.
3 - You get an email with all your details seven days later.

I think that you are between steps two and three at the moment. If you have not received your details after ten days, pop into the forums and ask.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Laphantasma on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:02 pm

I've been trying to sign up for an account on cg for a few weeks now. The thing is that every time I hit the verify button the page just reloads and wipes the sign up page clean. I don't really think that's supposed to happen, right? The first time I tried I waited two weeks to see if I would get an email but none came, so I tried again. All my information is right, so, I don't know what's going on.
Laphantasma

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:59 am

That's happened to a few people before - try registering from a different computer.

The last two times it was that they had a blocking program running and it was interfering with the process and the time before that it was user error.

If you can't register from another computer, let us know...
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Equusarts on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:58 pm

I was wondering what I may be doing wrong. I've got my ftp stuff working etc. but my site (wyndenwood.comicgenesis.com) is showing HTTP 404 not found. I'm not the brightest bulb re. computers so was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or do I have to wait-I've gotten all my info, did all the signing in etc. I needed to do but for some reason my site isn't showing up. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated! Thanx! :) Tracy
Equusarts

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:01 am

It's there, or at least I can see it.

Note that the default template at the moment is a tad screwy and shows flat black in Internet Explorer. You'll want to modify your indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html files at the earliest convenience.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Microbabies on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:39 am

Here is my problem:

I signed up for an account, got my activation email, made my forum account, but have forgotten exactly what my initial username/password were for the non-forum account. I tried digging it up in emails but it didn't seem to be there. I've tried every password I could imagine me using and none of them worked. I'm also worried that the username I used isn't what I wanted in my URL. I think it was the same as my email address, which has nothing to do with my comic. Is there any way to check on any of this and maybe be emailed what it all is? So far I'm lost and confused. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Microbabies

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:12 am

I don't know of any way to retrieve your information. Maybe one of the admins can.

But if the url isn't what you wanted anyway, then the easiest way is to sign up again and get a new account with the url that you do want. The previous registration will be auto-deleted in 90 days if you don't upload any comics. You can keep the current forum account.

Tip: The confirmation email with your username, password and other bits is important information. You ought to keep it in a safe place. Maybe even write it down somewhere. :)
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Thoth on Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:05 pm

I have the ablity to log onto the forums but, :shifty: I can't log onto my webcomic! I need some help!
Thoth

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Can you elaborate on your problem?

If you are trying to log into your comic's account directly, you will need an FTP program and your FTP username and password.

If you are trying to log into SiteAdmin to alter your comic's settings you will need your forum usernae and password and you will have to be logged into the forums as Thoth (and not thoth or THOTH or thoTH or any other combination). Note that if you log into the forums as thoth then the foru will let you in, but SiteAdmin won't. And the CGWiki won't let you in unless you have 3 or more posts in the forum.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Forsooth and Pi on Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:12 pm

I signed up for an account and a week later received my confirmation. When I received the email I checked the URL for my site and a 404 error message came up. It's been another week since then, and the website is up, but no comic is showing up. I read somewhere that the comic I submitted when I signed up would show up on the website as the first comic, so up till now I assumed the site was not fully registered yet, but I don't want to wait too long and have to sign up again from scratch. Is there anything I need to do at this point to upload comics, or do I just need to wait a little longer?

Thanks for your assistance.
Forsooth and Pi

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:32 am

If your account is active, then there should be nothing stopping you from uploading new comics and/or replacing the templates to make your comic look the way you want it to look.

Forsooth and Pi wrote:...the website is up, but no comic is showing up.

Is it all black with no comic / text? And if so, are you using Internet Explorer? There is/was a known bug with the default template being all black in IE but showing up fine in other browsers. Once you change your template(s) then it should show up fine.

Make sure that you take the time to read the tutorials in the CGWiki (link in my sig) if you have not already done so.

And feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Forsooth and Pi on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:40 pm

Yeah, I was able to upload a comic now (I don't know why it didn't work earlier) but it's still not showing up on the main page. All the main page shows is the title of the comic, the author's name (me), a blank space, and some comicgenesis text on the bottom. I think I just need to put in the basic XTML or HTML or whatever for the template, and archives, and "next comic" buttons and the like, and I expected there to be a basic template already set up that I could just edit later. I'll read through some more tutorials and see if I can figure out which tags I need to use...

I used smackjeeves for my last comic, and never messed around with this stuff, but as I am kinda fed up with the way smackjeeves was doing things I decided to switch hosts here.
Forsooth and Pi

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center