HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby Juststunned on Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:36 am

It's been a little over a week since I tried to sign up. I got the confirmation email, entered the code, and currently have no site and no ftp password. I guess I just wanted to make sure this is par for the course (I realize there have been people with this problem in the past on the forum, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not biding my time for naught). Can't wait to (hopefully) get started soon.
Oh you know it gets hard,
It just gets so hard going limp in your arms.

http://juststunned.comicgenesis.com
Juststunned

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Yeah, it takes a minimum of seven days but can also take a day or two extra. Plus some email handlers introduce delays for some unknown reason (I have a site hosted in the UK wheree all emails are on a 90 minute delay for some reason).

When you got your first email and you entered the confirmation code, did it give you a new screen telling you that it had been accepted? If it did and you got the first email then the second one will be on its way and will arrive in the same inbox. If it didn't (if it just went blank or went back to how it was) then it might not have gone through.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Juststunned on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:06 pm

When I entered the code, I did get a thing saying that it was accepted. It was the same as the entry screen, but a new line of text appeared at the top confirming the entry. I'm assuming that's the standard screen, yes?

Juststunned

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:04 pm

It's been a while since I applied, but that sounds about right.

Normally when something goes wrong, it'll either re-set to exactly the same as it was (no new line) or just go blank.

Give it another day or two (server load can also slow things down) and let us know how you go.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Juststunned on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:48 am

within about 12 hours my site is up and I have an FTP password. sorry to waste anyone's time...

Juststunned

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:40 pm

No problems.

Good to see you're on your way! :D
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Juststunned on Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:04 pm

OK, yet another silly noob question: I have the advertisement tag on my site, but no advertisement is showing up. Is there a grace period for this kind of thing? I'd hate to have my comic taken down because of some kind of glitch...

Juststunned

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:28 pm

So long as you have the ***advertisement*** tag on your template(s) then you're fine.

In your index.html file (what you see on the web) you should see a bit of code that starts with <div id="ad"> and ends with </iframe> (there's also a bunck of other stuff in that div - just leave it). That means the ad keentag went through.

There can be several reasons why you don't see the advertisement itself such as having adblocker plugins on your browser but it's still there, or there are no ads in rotation (which happens rarely, but does happen).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:44 pm

juststunned wrote:OK, yet another silly noob question: I have the advertisement tag on my site, but no advertisement is showing up. Is there a grace period for this kind of thing? I'd hate to have my comic taken down because of some kind of glitch...

Trust me, the system looks for intent and design, not strictly black or white.

Usually the ads missing throw a few errors, but unless it impacts the site on a whole (eg. No pages have ads, or you're comics are excessively large) action is only taken when it's of a significant nature.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby BtaraKtahn on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:53 pm

I received the email this morning with my FTP name and password, but it hasn't allowed me to log into the admin section.

I keep getting errors that password does not match.

There are no comics available to you
Please add a comic by entering your ComicGenesis FTP username and Password in the boxes below.

which keeps giving the same errors along with:

Notice: Undefined index: user_id in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 187

Warning: touch() [function.touch]: Utime failed: Operation not permitted in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/template.php on line 159

I haven't changed the password since receiving it.
BtaraKtahn

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:00 pm

Welcome to Comic Genesis!

Three quick details:

1 - If you only just got your email, it may take up to an additional 48 hours for all the settings and such to become available. It's annoying, but it's one the things about the server. Check to make sure that you can see your comic at its url and also try and log in directly to your comic with an ftp program.

2 - Sometimes, the ftp password that is assigned to new users does not work. We have no idea why. If your comic site is visible (you can reach it with a browser) but you can't log in via an ftp program (it says "password incorrect") then you may need to change the password. It's fairly straightforward to do.

3 - If you haven't already, take the time to have a read of the tutorials in the wiki.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Dr Neo Lao wrote:Welcome to Comic Genesis!

Three quick details:

1 - If you only just got your email, it may take up to an additional 48 hours for all the settings and such to become available. It's annoying, but it's one the things about the server. Check to make sure that you can see your comic at its url and also try and log in directly to your comic with an ftp program.

2 - Sometimes, the ftp password that is assigned to new users does not work. We have no idea why. If your comic site is visible (you can reach it with a browser) but you can't log in via an ftp program (it says "password incorrect") then you may need to change the password. It's fairly straightforward to do.

3 - If you haven't already, take the time to have a read of the tutorials in the wiki.

You know, I almost think I should just delete the password from the page and put the lost password url in instead. it seems to have a horrible failure rate, yet the lost password utility works fine.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby BtaraKtahn on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 am

Thank you, kisai. :D Getting the new password worked as I can now log in. Perhaps that should be added directly to the automated emailing. "The password below will probably not work, so before you do anything else, please go to (this url) and request a new password, then use the activation code which you receive to complete the password change".

Unfortunately, I'm having trouble with the various FTP attempts, now.

I began with WS_TFP32 (which I've been using for about 10 years now).

While attempting to upload my yyyymmdd.jpg dated comics, I receive the following two errors:

553-Can't open that file: Permission denied.
533 Rename/move failure: No such file or directory.

I then tried http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/updat ... mic_id=(my site id number) and am getting this error:

Notice: Uninitialized string offset: 0 in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 187
Warning: touch() [function.touch]: Utime failed: Operation not permitted in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/template.php on line 159

followed by this when I attempt to upload a comic:

Unable to move '/var/tmp/phpHyDAG3' to '/home/space/btaraktahn/workspace/comics/20061106.jpg' in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/update_comic.php on line 149
20061106.jpg was not successfully uploaded. Please make sure /home/space/btaraktahn/workspace/comics/ is writeable.
BtaraKtahn

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 pm

The password normally does work, it's only the occasional user that experiences trouble.

With FTP, make sure that you follow the step by step guide and the using FTP on CG pages.

From the look of your first errors, I'd say you were trying to upload images to the public_html/comics folder instead of the workspace/comics folder.

From the look of your second errors, I'd say that your account isn't fully active yet. Can you see it with a browser?

Edit: I assume that this is your site. I see that you have managed to get several images up and it all seems to be working (except the page for the 11th). If you have any more problems, let us know.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:39 am

Eventually, (maybe?) I'll get around to re-writing the signup script to create everything on the fly. But it wasn't designed that way to do error checking.

With the amount of spammage going through free accounts these days, the fact that there is a delay is the only disincentive. FYI, I removed the delay down to 2 days in the code, It still does not auto-approve without activating, but if you're quick on the activation code, you can get it down. FYI, it used to be (removed the password from the email entirely now) that once it generated a password it was ready to go. Now you can get away with hitting the lost password utility immediately after getting the second email. The backend script runs once every few hours.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Postby BtaraKtahn on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm not uploading anything.

That's the error I get everytime that I log into the siteadmin.

I enter my name/password and hit the Okay button, the page clears, then loads up that error followed by
the rest of the page and graphics. It continues to show up everytime I add anything there or try to
update the site from the siteadmin.

Internet Explorer 6, SP2
BtaraKtahn

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:40 pm

You can obviously get into SiteAdmin, so that's good.

When you enter the data, I assume that you are entering you comic's name (btaraktahn) and your comic's ftp password.

When you upload comics, do you do it from SiteAdmin or do you do it with an FTP program? If you're using SiteAdmin, are you able to connect to your comic using an FTP program?
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby BtaraKtahn on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:32 pm

I upload using WS_FTP32 and since the account has actually been activated, I haven't gotten any errors when I try to upload with that.

I upload within the /workspace directory, too; so that's not a problem.

The only errors I'm getting now are the ones in my browser when I log into siteadmin, and they aren't really much of a problem, since they don't appear to affect the actual uploading or updating of the site. It's more of an annoyance now than anything else (and I don't think it'll kill me).

Thanks for the help. :D
BtaraKtahn

Postby Littlesin on Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi! I'm new and having some trouble. I cannot log in to the siteadmin page.

It keeps telling me my username and password are wrong but they are exactly the same as they are on this forum.

"Forum Username littlesin not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)"

I tried it with a capital letter as well but that does not work either.

Help please? :(
Littlesin

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:26 pm

The most common problem is signing into the forum with the wrong case and then trying to log into the SiteAdmin with the right case.

What you need to do is log out of everything, log into the forums with Littlesin (not littlesin or LittleSin - even though it will let you, it'll give you trouble in SiteAdmin) and then try and log into SiteAdmin.

There is more information in the Wiki.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center