HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Postby JasonTrue on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:30 pm

I signed up for a webcomic yesterday and I just found out that my ISP was blocking the Emails. (tried to sign up here on same email and never recieved activation link either.) I didn't use the Email accociated with this Account. I changed the settings so I think it will come through now. of course I'm not sure if it is going to work yet or not...

Is there a way to have the activation key resent? Or am I screwed for the next two weeks?

My signup is duelistlegend.comicgenesis.com
Last edited by JasonTrue on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonTrue

Postby Endee on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Hey there, I was just trying to set up a web site for my comic and I had a bit of a problem. When I try to attach the file with my sample comic, the signup sheet says "FILE ABORTED, BAD FILE TYPE". Originally I tried saving the file in PDF, but when signup wouldn't take that I tried html, but that didn't work either and jpeg takes up too much space (the max is 500). So, to save me a big headache, what format are we supposed to have the sample comic in? Thanks.
Endee

Postby JasonTrue on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Umm.. if you are trying to upload something that is over 500 KB you might want to try resizing it rather drastically. That sounds like a really big upload for a Jpeg. Check your pixel size, and then make sure you exported your comic correctly because my submission was only just over 100kb. And it's still a bit on the large side (540x735), comic speaking. Try lowering the quality of the picture as well, don't overdo it but letting things be slightly less than perfect can save loads of bytes.

And from what I've read around here, Jpeg, GIF, and most image files should work, I've never heard of using PDF as an image fie before though...
JasonTrue

Postby EvilFlea on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:20 am

Right.

I've gone through this process several times now, and I can't figure it out.

I got my FTP username and password in an email on Friday.

It wouldn't let me login, so I set up a new password as per the instructions in the email.
I got the activation code and put it in, then closed my browser.

I reopened my browser, tried to login and it said this:

Forum Username evilflea not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)

Please see below for possible correct spellings:

Logout to try again (hit cancel)

I'm getting a touch frustrated now. I signed up to the forums only yesterday by the way, if that has any effect.
And it does the same thing if I enter my username as "EvilFlea" as well.
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby EvilFlea on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:26 am

Ah, okay.

This time I got:

Your browser did not return the expected response EvilFlea

Referred from: No Referrer found, Opera? Norton? McAfee? ZoneAlarm?

User Agent(Browser) reports it is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12
No Proxy Detected
Your Actual IP Address: --------(removed from post)
Your browser is broken
Browser status: MSIE 7: Working
Firefox 2.0.0.4: Working
Safari 3.0.2: Working
Opera 9.21 (8776): Working
Nintendo DS Opera: Not working
Please use Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari or Opera or something that supports HTTP Digest Authentication compliant with RFC2617!
Also you get this if you entered the wrong password, or have never logged out of forums.comicgenesis.com and back in after July 22nd 2007

Logout to try again (hit cancel)
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby EvilFlea on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:34 am

Right, logged out, logged into the forum, closed the browser, tried again, same result, repeated.

Hmmm.
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby EvilFlea on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:06 am

Okay, got it.

Although when I was emailed my username and password, it was typed all in lowercase, I screwed that up when my I put capital letters in my forum username, and then had to type it like that every time. But I was putting in lowercase because it told me to in the email, and then said it was case sensitive.

So, type it like it is on the forum, mmkay?
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:45 am

If you used evilflea for the comic (the ftp account) and then used EvilFlea for the forum account then that may get a tad confusing but so long as you have it written down somewhere, you should be right.

You use the ftp name and password to access your comic directly through an FTP program.

You use the forum name and password to access the forum, siteadmin and the CGWiki.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby EvilFlea on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:35 pm

Yeah, it seemed to work as soon as I used EvilFlea when I requested a new password. So that's fine. Hopefully. Haven't done any FTP yet, so we'll see about that. Probably won't have time to tidy the site probably for a couple of weeks, so you may see me asking around again then. :)
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby Imatron on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:52 pm

Im having difficulty associating my comic with my account here. The site itself is running, and I signed up for this account about an hour ago with the comic itself going live earlier today displaying the sample comic, but I cant seem to find the add button to link the two together. Is it located on these forums somewhere or another location on Comic Genesis I didnt think to look at? I checked the help pages and they reference it but not it's location as far as I can tell. Thank you for any help.

Forgot to add the URL:
http://imatron.comicgenesis.com/
Imatron
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:19 pm

To add a comic to your account, you'll need to sign in to siteadmin.comicgenesis.com - use your forum name and password to get in (make sure that when you sign into the forums you use Imatron, then when you log in to SiteAdmin you use Imatron as well - if you log into the forums with imatron [it will let you] and then try to log into SiteAdmin, it won't let you).

Once in SiteAdmin, you'll see at the bottom two boxes to enter your comic's details. If your comic is imatron.comicgenesis.com then you would enter imatron (as the name of your comic) and your FTP password. Right next to the boxes is the "add comic" button. Once in, it'll be really obvious, it's just getting in to SiteAdmin that's giving people trouble.

In the interim, if you can access your comic account directly with an FTP program (such as Filezilla) then you can get away without accessing SiteAdmin for a while.

And if you haven't already, make sure you take the time to read some of the tutorials in the Wiki (link in my sig).
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Imatron on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Ive been reading through the tutorials, either I misunderstood the siteadmin stuff or it wasnt explained in the specific tutorials I was looking at, theres a couple different ones I was looking at, the wiki and the cadet one, I think another for the template coding in a link from there. Anyway, the problem seems to be with my password, Ive logged in using the capitol lettered name into the forums, then I typed the url to get to the site admin, Im guessing site admin picks up automaticaly even if i dont fallow a link on the forums to get there? Now my problem seems to be that the password is incorect, even though I never changed it and made sure I had the correct one. I used my forum specific pasword to get in, then when I hit add after using "imatron" I used the FTP password, and I couldnt add it after many attempts. The FTP program I have couldnt get in either and it kept saying the server closed the connection.

The tutorials mention occasionaly the password given doesnt work, could this be one of those situations? And could ihave messed anything up in the process of logging into siteadmin using the FTP password instead of the forum password at first?
Imatron
Regular Poster

Postby EvilFlea on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 am

You might have the same problem I had. Make sure you change your username and password into *exactly* the same as you have on the forum, then close your browser window, then start up and login again.
EvilFlea
Regular Poster

Postby Imatron on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 am

EvilFlea, not so sure its the same problem. Right now fallowing your advice, my password on the forums is now the same as the password for the FTP, but I dont think theres a way to change my name to exactly the same for each since the ftp is lowercase and I cant seem to make my name on the forums change. I think Ive tried using the password in lowercase despite some of the characters being uppercase and even that didnt seem to work, there has to be somthing Im not realising or maybe my password doesnt work. I cant access the site from my FTP program either, I can connect but it keeps saying the server closed connection right after it sends the password I plugged in. When I was using the FTP password to log into site admin it told me I have to have a forum account to log in, but after I started using the forum password I could get in just fine, but it tells me the FTP password to add the site is incorect.

Updateing: it seems since the password change that SiteAdmin wont let me in and that now my username is invalide there. O_o

Another update: yup, the password I was given is wrong, resetting the FTP password got me in, but Im still having some difficulty linking the comic to the forums, so for now Im good.
Imatron
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm

Just to be clear:

You can get into SiteAdmin.
You can access your comic directly via an FTP program.
You cannot add your comic in SiteAdmin?

Yes? No?
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Imatron on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:04 pm

It's finaly let me add the comic to my forum account, and I can access it by FTP, so now Im good to go. Thanks for the help!
Imatron
Regular Poster

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Sweet. Welcome aboard!
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Endee on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:37 pm

Hello again, sorry to be a pain but I have a stupid question. Does our forum ID need to match our FTP ID? Because I signed up for a forum account before I registered for my comic and the username is pretty much impossible to change, even though other stuff can be. I hope it's okay if they don't match.

This whole signup process has[i] helped me learn a few things though:
1) I know nothing about setting up websites
2) I know nothing about setting up websites
3) I really, really [i]hate
setting up websites :evil:

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with time though. Maybe when I'm forty...
Endee

Postby Dr Neo Lao on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:00 am

No, there is no relationship between your ftp and forum name / number / id or anything like that.

If you are really having a hard time of it, I'll help you out one-on-one. Send me a pm and I'll see what I can do to get you set up.
Dr Neo Lao
Cartoon Hero

Postby Endee on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:31 am

Thanks, but I'm figuring it out now. I was tired and kind of irritable when I posted that. :shifty:
Endee

PreviousNext

Return to Help Center