HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Post by Kisai »

Changes to the signup system... http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/signup.cgi

Please post questions/help requests here. Do NOT e-mail anyone directly.

1. Picture sample is now required, due to many "bulk signup" attempts This will be the "day 1" picture or starting picture when the comic starts. What you should upload is what you'd like as the first comic or "cover page" ... not a "coming soon" page.

Edit: If you don't want the sample to be your first page you can remove it right after you join or you can delete it at a later stage.

2. The script still requires most information, it's contact information for emergency purposes.

3. Canada/USA "Country code" is 1(Despite it being RIGHT ON the page, nobody reads it.)

4. You still can NOT change the username once you pick it.

5. If you have an existing comic (on keenspace) do not use it as the sample. There were a few attempts to pass off other peoples comics last time around, so this time the comics are uploaded and checked.

6. If you do not get a response within 2 weeks, the signup will be deleted, and you should use a different email address, as this means that your ISP has rejected the e-mail. You can use the check_status script to see if it went through http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/check_status.cgi

Edit: There is also more detailed information on how to sign up and possible problems in the CGWiki.

Edits by Dr Neo Lao, Oct 2007

Waf
Regular Poster

Post by Waf »

I'm been working at this for awhile following your instructions. And I'm wondering if it is really sending the email out. I've tested it under several different isp's. And none of them recieved the email.

Knowing my luck there is some little detail I'm missing. But it appears to not be working. Although each and everyone one of them your status checker has claimed they have been sent.

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

That is because it didn't do it's email run yet. I just ran it. I'm running it manually untill all the bugs are fixed, as I won't know till March 8th if will create things properly. Every single time the signup system has been brought online and signups processed, we've encountered problems that required "bulk fixes" .

The first round of "please enter confirmation code" emails should have been sent now. If you don't get it in 24 hours, THEN send another signup.

Waf
Regular Poster

Post by Waf »

Ah ok, thank you ma'am. :D

Now I feel stupid. :-?

Bean Bunny

Re: HELP for Keenspace Signups

Post by Bean Bunny »

Kisai wrote: 1. Picture sample is now required, due to many "bulk signup" attempts This will be the "day 1" picture or starting picture when the comic starts. What you should upload is what you'd like as the first comic or "cover page" ... not a "coming soon" page.
Okay, I definatley sent a picture sample, but I don't think I want to use it as my first comic. I decided that it was a good sample because it was fairly funny, light, and had all the characters in it by that time. There isn't going to be any horrific problem with this, is there?

Also, what exactly happens with sign ups? I just got my email verified by cutting/pasting the code into the box. What am I waitning to do now? How many steps until I get to make the site?

Thanks for getting signups back so quick. This is awesome!

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

Bean Bunny wrote:
Kisai wrote: 1. Picture sample is now required, due to many "bulk signup" attempts This will be the "day 1" picture or starting picture when the comic starts. What you should upload is what you'd like as the first comic or "cover page" ... not a "coming soon" page.
Okay, I definatley sent a picture sample, but I don't think I want to use it as my first comic. I decided that it was a good sample because it was fairly funny, light, and had all the characters in it by that time. There isn't going to be any horrific problem with this, is there?

Also, what exactly happens with sign ups? I just got my email verified by cutting/pasting the code into the box. What am I waitning to do now? How many steps until I get to make the site?

I suspect you'll find that it will default to the first comic. You just have to go into the FTP, delete it, then upload your real first comic. You gain (almost) full control of your site, so you could change the first comic easily.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

Bean Bunny wrote:

This is to prevent having 3000 empty sites again, at least if one comic is there, there is something to see. Also it makes sure people actually have a comic, or have some ideas or drawing skills. (and yes there have already been 4 sprite comics, 2 stick men and some poorly scanned artwork uploaded already. )

Waf
Regular Poster

Post by Waf »

Kisai wrote:
Bean Bunny wrote:

This is to prevent having 3000 empty sites again, at least if one comic is there, there is something to see. Also it makes sure people actually have a comic, or have some ideas or drawing skills. (and yes there have already been 4 sprite comics, 2 stick men and some poorly scanned artwork uploaded already. )
Well, I'm pleased I didn't get weeded out by the drawing skills part.

OnyxSerpent
Regular Poster

Post by OnyxSerpent »

Kisai wrote:That is because it didn't do it's email run yet. I just ran it. I'm running it manually untill all the bugs are fixed, as I won't know till March 8th if will create things properly. Every single time the signup system has been brought online and signups processed, we've encountered problems that required "bulk fixes" .

The first round of "please enter confirmation code" emails should have been sent now. If you don't get it in 24 hours, THEN send another signup.
Are you still doing manual mail runs? Or are they manual until further notice? *wants to make sure before becoming frusturated*

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

Manual untill the 8th when it starts generating the sites.

I'm running them around 9am and 11pm PST daily once I check all the samples. I've only rejected one so far for uploading a 16x16 sprite I couldn't even see.

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

Also, I'll be rejecting any signups that suggest that the form was just filled with junk, or descriptions that suggest that it's not going to even be a webcomic site

Sasjhwa
Regular Poster

Can't seem to find my way

Post by Sasjhwa »

Sigh, I know I'm missing something easy here.

I got my confirmation letter and followed the link provided (http://www.keenspace.com/join.html). That page only has a redirect to the main keenspace page. The closest thing I could find there was the original page I signed up on (http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/signup.cgi). I assumed that I wasn't supposed to refill this out since I'm supposed to "continue with step 3" and then login when prompted.

Where am I supposed to be doing this?

Michael Dyer
soon to be http://magicandmiracles.keenspace.com

KittyKatBlack
Cartoon Villain

Post by KittyKatBlack »

http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/ ... /login.cgi

I'm pretty sure this is where you're supposed to go.

Bean Bunny

Post by Bean Bunny »

KittyKatBlack wrote:http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/ ... /login.cgi

I'm pretty sure this is where you're supposed to go.
I was having the same problems as him, so I went to where you said. It won't let me log in, though! It gives me a message that says, "Please make sure that cookies are enabled, firewall/privacy "enhancement" is disabled for this site, and that you are using:
IE5.5 or later ...". Cookies are enabled, I can pass the cookie test there. I'm sure I don't have a firewall, and I don't even know what privacy enhansement is, and I'm on IE6. What's going on?

Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)

Post by Phalanx »

Even if you pass the cookie test it still doesn't gurantee it'll work with your browser. No, I have no idea why. I just know it is.

I'm using Safari, it seems to work fine. Is it possible for you to try it with another browser? (ie, Mozilla)
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

Terotrous
Cartoon Hero

Post by Terotrous »

I'm not sure if this is still in effect, but for a while you had to request a new password before starting on your comic. Unfortunately I can't remember how to do it. If you can't get on the FTP this is probably the case.
What Lies Beyond - A Psychological Fantasy Novel
Stuff that updates sometimes:
ImageImage
I also did phbites.comicgenesis.com and hntrac.comicgenesis.com way back when.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

The List of Important Keenspace Facilities are contained in both the FAQ and Tagtorials threads.

clicky sig for a shortcut
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

Audreyayn

Post by Audreyayn »

Since I've just done it, I thought I'd post step-by-step instructions in case anyone's still confused.

Once you get your email saying that your site has been set up, go to http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/ ... ssword.cgi

Change your password and write it down.

Check your email.

Put the verification code in the page.

Close all your browser windows.

Now you should be able to login at http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/signup.cgi as well as FTP using the instructions at viewtopic.php?t=54103

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

Well I don't know why this bug has resurfaced, but it looks like if you signed up on Mar 1, or 2, you'll have to use the new password utility to generate another password, as the ones generated then seem to be ... wrong.

I might have fixed it last night after KKB told me it wasn't working AGAIN. The scripts use exactly the same encryption mechanism, so I've been unable to figure out why it wasn't working. I even pulled the passwords from the db process and tried logging in and it works. So... it's like some mystery bug that only had an effect on usernames that had a certain character in them.

Dee

Eh...

Post by Dee »

Just waiting for my email reply message, but I noticed that you mentioned I can fix the images I have, and thats good. I posted the fourth page of my comic, because its the best so far, (in my mind) of all my art, but its not the first page of the story, heh. I also didn't have a phone number to put into the phone section, no phone, but I put the country and area code, then zeros in for the actual phone number. Hopefully I'll have a phone by june.

It takes generally 24 hours to get the email reply does it not? Just so I'm not worrying or anything over it. I'm also probably going to try and fix up some images so the actual comic may not be out in good format until then, I'll just have the roughs posted until I can hash out the new. Do other people do this?

How popular is pencil art? I do my comics in pencil, and have no use for inks as they mess up my drawings. But I have been told my style is odd. I'd be fascinated by people's coments on it. Moving from another server to keenspace, so you can temporarily see my comic at sugarwater.enacre.net

I think I'll enjoy keenspace better. :)

Lee