HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
Next-Step

Re: HELP for Comic Genesis Signups

Post by Next-Step »

Edit*

My Address is supposed to be " next-step.comicgenesis.com "
My Username is supposed to be " next-step "

Alright, I'm operating in Windows Vista, and using Google Chrome, (and Firefox) have tried to generate a password.
The page keeps coming up saying;
"Username not found! Contact a wrangler on the forums."
When I try to check to see if the website is opperational yet I get;
"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.17 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.17 OpenSSL/0.9.8l mod_fcgid/2.3.5 Server at next-step.comicgenesis.com Port 80"
So I'm not having any luck for the past couple days, has anyone else fixed this problem yet, is there any more information that I'm missing that would help to solve this problem? How do we contact a wrangler? Forgive my stereotyping but I imagine a cowboy with a laptop fixing my website while they lasso my stray website and dally it home.

Thanks guys,

Tate

dundee998

Post by dundee998 »

Alright, so I got my site (wow, the URL tag does not like me. http://dundee998.comicgenesis.com/d/20110421.html) activated yesterday, which is awesome. I got my FileZilla running excellently, I've got some new comics trickling in every day if I've named them correctly; everything is hunky dory in that regard. However, I'm having a spot of trouble changing the html on my page. I sent in an html update yesterday in the late afternoon, and it still hasn't gone through this morning.

I just double checked it now, and it said there wasn't anything in the queue, so I replaced my html page in FileZilla (workspace -> webpages) and sent in another html update request, which I'm beginning to think was a bad idea. Can someone tell me what I've done wrong, and whether this is what the queue should look like?
QUEUE STATUS: Queued at 2011-04-21 17:00:32 on CG_AutoGen_Cecilia for a Index Page only
1 in Queue.
Oh dear, and now it's saying there's nothing in the queue again. This really is distressing, my poor page is so empty.\

Alright, I uploaded a different version of a comic page, and now that's showing up just perfectly. I guess what's wrong is how I'm handling the HTML document. Hmm...

MrGBH

Post by MrGBH »

I'm having trouble starting up my comic. I've received the confirmation e-mail, created an ftp password and done everything the tutorials have told me. But for some reason whenever I try to log in to ftp, my browser time's out and says the server can't be found. My comic is legendsofsatura.comicgenesis.com but it's been blank all week.

Labasaur

Post by Labasaur »

@ Next-Step: I actually had the same problem originally. When you registered your website, you used a symbol in the name. The system doesn't do well with it so you'll have to remake it without one.

I'm sorry I can't help the rest of you... I'm still new and don't know a lot.

Kat1x

Post by Kat1x »

Is this the right forum to request help setting up a new ftp for a new comic? If so how do I set up a my new comic book ftp?

Mastermind
Regular Poster

Post by Mastermind »

You should find everything you need in CG Wiki tutorials.

Kat1x

Post by Kat1x »

Which topic below will tell me how to add a 2nd comicbook to my ftp?
Thanks, Kat

The Beginner's Guide

This is the section for guides on the absolute basics of Comic Genesis.
Current (known) Problems - old and new members read this page.
Short note: As of the 5th of September, Comic Genesis will no longer be accepting domain parking (this means having your mycomic.comicgenesis.com show up as mycomic.com). Any queries should be made in this thread.
Creating An Account: The Signup Process
Troubleshooting logging into the new SiteAdmin
Getting Your Comics and Images Ready
The Step-By-Step Guide
Tagtorial: Guide to the "KeenTags"
Server Paths and Your HTML Code
Quick guide on this "FTP" thing people are talking about
Short guide to using CG's WebFTP client
The Banner and Avatar Guide
Changing Passwords on your accounts
Advertising on your Comic Genesis site
Default Files: indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html
List of words used on Comic Genesis that may not mean what you think
The Intermediate User's Guide

This is the section for guides on additional features and making your comic site look nice:.
A short discussion about making your site look better
Adding more pages
Getting rid of Unwanted Strips
How to add text and comments to your comic pages
Correcting mistakes in comments
Replacing text links with navigation buttons
Adding a stroyline dropdown
Using the calendar keentags for your archive
Adding a Comic Genesis NewsBox
Adding a generic news box
Creating a pog
Template Library (Note: Some templates currently unavailable, new ones added)
Javascript: Featured Link module
Tip: Which font size to use?
Tip: Start with the banner
Tip:SEO and You
The Advanced User's Guide

This is the section for guides on adding advanced features.
Contributing a Genchan
Advanced Options in siteadmin explained
Dropdown scripts and instructions on their use
Image Viewer add-ins
Installing the Comic Commenter on your comic (Note: Uses third party host and software)
Linking your Blogger blog with your Comic Genesis comic (Note: Uses third party host and software)

Mastermind
Regular Poster

Post by Mastermind »

I'm not sure what you mean. Assuming you've registered again (same sign up process like the first time) in SiteAdmin you use your forum details, so you can just click the add button to manage multiple comics from one account. But in your ftp program you just have to log in with your new comic's url, username and password. It depends on what ftp client you are using, but there's probably an option to create profiles so that you don't have to type every time you switch comics.

Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Post by Kisai »

Kat1x wrote:Which topic below will tell me how to add a 2nd comicbook to my ftp?
None. The underlying system supports this for one specific configuration, but the preferred method is to create an additional signup with a separate username, but link them under the same siteadmin (forum) account so that you can just login and manually update them without having to login to each comic separately.

It's preferable to do it this way since usernameX.comicgenesis.com and usernameY.comicgenesis.com are seen as separate sites in search engines where as username.comicgenesis.com/comic1 and username.comicgenesis.com/comic2 are seen as the same site.

Spazzmataz

Post by Spazzmataz »

so this problems been brought up but edited so it never got answered, but my verification code isnt working, it just reloads the page... any ideas on what to do here? it's driving me bonkers...

LadyMyuu

Post by LadyMyuu »

I thought I posted a question to here... but its not here?

Anyway -

hello! I am curious to know if you guys are still taking sumbissions? I've tried several times and keep accessing an error. I've redone and followed the various instructions I've come across. I've altered my sample so it was far bellow the requirements and carefully wrote everything... nothing.

This is the error I receive:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, help@keenspace.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Is this a sign that you are not taking submissions right now? Or just an error in the process? I've looked for updates but havn't really found anything... I could just be blind...