Page 1 of 1
Goofy code
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:45 am
by Col
When you go to my site (strangehappenings.keenspace.com), there's all this crazy html code at the top of the page, as well as some slashes at the bottom around the "supported by Keenspace" text. Anyone know where this is coming from? I can't really figure it out when looking at my templates (I'm pretty new at all of this too). Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:49 am
by Faub
That's not HTML. You edited the file in wordpad and it tried to add its own formatting. What you need to do is to open the file in NOTEPAD (which uses no formatting codes) and do it over.
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:53 am
by RPin
Those are all... Hmmm... Strange happenings?
Seriously, let me help you:
First, delete all the lines that come before this tag:
Code: Select all
<html lang="en" xml:lang="en"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
After that, look for all the "\" and delete every one of them. Did you use a word processor to write your html?
If you need to skip a line, use the line break tag:
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:01 pm
by Col
Thank ya's both. I'll give it a try and let ya know what happens. I'm working on a Mac, and the program that came up to write it was called TextEdit. I'll see if I've got that other program, and delete all that junk.
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:20 pm
by Phalanx
I'm on a Mac too, and I use TextEdit as well.
You'll want to go to TextEdit -> Preferences
Under the New Document Attributes box, select "Plain Text Format"
That should do it. It only works on NEW documents though, so cut and paste, then rename.
ps: And erm... No. We don't have Microsoft NotePad or Microsoft WordPad on Mackintoshes, so don't waste your time looking for it.
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:33 pm
by Col
You know, I had a feeling it had something to do with the TextEdit. Thanks, Phalanx, I was hoping you'd know something if it was Mac related. Everything's looking right, finally.
Keep up the good work with helping everyone at setting up their websites. This be one classy group o' people.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:17 pm
by Faub
Phalanx wrote:ps: And erm... No. We don't have Microsoft NotePad or Microsoft WordPad on Mackintoshes, so don't waste your time looking for it.
It's getting to the point where you can't even make sweeping assumptions about people's computers anymore. I should start throwing out answers based on Slackware/GIMP only. 8)
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:40 pm
by Treble
oooh ooh...Faub, you use Gimp? I just started learning it...can I bug you if I get stuck on something?
Note: I am accustomed to the sink-or-swim on-the-job training method - and the top of my monitor has dents in it from my forehead. That is, I'm really, really stubborn about figuring it out on my own without help, so I'll likely only ask if I'm really really stuck.
Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:36 pm
by Faub
Sure. No problem.
Quick crash course in the GIMP: right-click on the image. Everything you want is there.
Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:41 pm
by Kisai
RPin wrote:Those are all... Hmmm... Strange happenings?
Seriously, let me help you:
First, delete all the lines that come before this tag:
Code: Select all
<html lang="en" xml:lang="en"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
After that, look for all the "" and delete every one of them. Did you use a word processor to write your html?
If you need to skip a line, use the line break tag:
Oops, not quite, the DTD declaration is VALID, even for html.
and that should be <br />
Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:42 am
by RPin
Kisai wrote:
Oops, not quite, the DTD declaration is VALID, even for html.
and that should be <br />
I keep mistaking that.
