Goofy code

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
Post Reply
User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Goofy code

Post by Col »

When you go to my site (strangehappenings.keenspace.com), there's all this crazy html code at the top of the page, as well as some slashes at the bottom around the "supported by Keenspace" text. Anyone know where this is coming from? I can't really figure it out when looking at my templates (I'm pretty new at all of this too). Any help you could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

That's not HTML. You edited the file in wordpad and it tried to add its own formatting. What you need to do is to open the file in NOTEPAD (which uses no formatting codes) and do it over.

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Those are all... Hmmm... Strange happenings?

Seriously, let me help you:

First, delete all the lines that come before this tag:

Code: Select all

<html lang="en" xml:lang="en" 
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 
After that, look for all the "\" and delete every one of them. Did you use a word processor to write your html?

If you need to skip a line, use the line break tag:

Code: Select all

</br>

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

Thank ya's both. I'll give it a try and let ya know what happens. I'm working on a Mac, and the program that came up to write it was called TextEdit. I'll see if I've got that other program, and delete all that junk.

User avatar
Phalanx
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3737
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:46 am
Location: Superglued to the forum by Yeahduff
Contact:

Post by Phalanx »

I'm on a Mac too, and I use TextEdit as well.

You'll want to go to TextEdit -> Preferences

Under the New Document Attributes box, select "Plain Text Format"

That should do it. It only works on NEW documents though, so cut and paste, then rename.

ps: And erm... No. We don't have Microsoft NotePad or Microsoft WordPad on Mackintoshes, so don't waste your time looking for it.
Image
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.

User avatar
Col
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 5089
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:40 am
Location: Uncertainty
Contact:

Post by Col »

You know, I had a feeling it had something to do with the TextEdit. Thanks, Phalanx, I was hoping you'd know something if it was Mac related. Everything's looking right, finally.

Keep up the good work with helping everyone at setting up their websites. This be one classy group o' people. :D

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

Phalanx wrote:ps: And erm... No. We don't have Microsoft NotePad or Microsoft WordPad on Mackintoshes, so don't waste your time looking for it.
It's getting to the point where you can't even make sweeping assumptions about people's computers anymore. I should start throwing out answers based on Slackware/GIMP only. 8)

User avatar
Treble
Regular Poster
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:26 pm
Location: Lunar farside, among the moonrocks.

Post by Treble »

oooh ooh...Faub, you use Gimp? I just started learning it...can I bug you if I get stuck on something?

Note: I am accustomed to the sink-or-swim on-the-job training method - and the top of my monitor has dents in it from my forehead. That is, I'm really, really stubborn about figuring it out on my own without help, so I'll likely only ask if I'm really really stuck.
HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Brain is OFF

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

Sure. No problem.

Quick crash course in the GIMP: right-click on the image. Everything you want is there.

User avatar
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light
Posts: 3276
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Past, the Present, The future
Contact:

Post by Kisai »

RPin wrote:Those are all... Hmmm... Strange happenings?

Seriously, let me help you:

First, delete all the lines that come before this tag:

Code: Select all

<html lang="en" xml:lang="en" 
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> 
After that, look for all the "" and delete every one of them. Did you use a word processor to write your html?

If you need to skip a line, use the line break tag:

Code: Select all

</br>
Oops, not quite, the DTD declaration is VALID, even for html.
and that should be <br />

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Kisai wrote: Oops, not quite, the DTD declaration is VALID, even for html.
and that should be <br />
I keep mistaking that. :oops:

Post Reply