Page 1 of 3
FTP frustration
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:15 am
by Gorga
Greetings!
I'm new on board here, and I'm having trouble... I'm only able to log into my keenspace account sometimes, and my FTP cannot connect. It takes 4 or 5 times before I can log in at
http://siteadmintest.keenspace.com/cgi- ... /login.cgi .... and sometimes not at all.
I've actually only gotten into my account once... and my FTP keeps telling me "Logon failure, so quitting"...
As far as I know, my cookies and firewall and all that stuff is set OK... I even did that little test that pops up on the keenspace logon screen.
Please help!
Thanks
~JB~
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:59 pm
by Phalanx
We'll need a little more info first.
What address are you logging into?
What FTP client are you using?
Have you tried logging in via SiteAdmin2?
more info
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:47 pm
by Gorga
Address: yebocha.keenspace.com
FTP: WS_FTP LE (?) i think that's the name... it was a free one from the web...
Trying to find "SiteAdmin2"...
When I goto
http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/web-ftp.cgi , I cannot log in.
http://siteadmin2.keenspace.com just says "test"
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:48 pm
by Faub
Don't use webftp. That's only for boardy, the other keenspace server.
The root of siteadmin2 IS just "test." You need the full cgi path to get the login screen.
http://siteadmin2.keenspace.com/cgi-bin ... /login.cgi
Have you tried logging into ftp through the command line? If so, what error do you get?
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:07 pm
by SamSim
I'm also having problems accessing my ftp account. I've tried the bog-standard FTP capability that comes with Internet Explorer, and also LeechFTP. With Leech, it appears to connect but times out once it tries to get a directory listing or anything. In IE I get the message:
Details:
200 Type set to A
200 PORT command successful
425 Unable to build data connection: Operation timed out
Any ideas? It hasn't even asked me for my login yet, which confuses me...
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:51 pm
by Gorga

Alrighty, I'm having no trouble getting into my Keenspace account, now, but still cannot connect with my FTP.
Are you saying not to use my FTP program?
Excuse me if I seem a bit computer illiterate, but I have no idea what is meant by "logging into ftp through the command line"...

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:59 am
by Strypess
*Bashes her head into the wall* I can't even log into the
http://siteadmin2.keenspace.com/cgi-bin ... /login.cgi
heh...
what I think it may be is
1. the password
2. they said they were switching the server and I just signed on about a week and a half ago, so maybe I'm on back hold or summat.
*shrug* I'm trying to get a new password and I'll see if that works, but if not, then I have no clue.
eh...
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:09 am
by KittyKatBlack
It seems I was just one of the first to hit this wall. I went through every problem you guys did not too long ago. I think somone needs to tell the staff about this recent batch of problems.
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:05 am
by Phalanx
Gorga wrote:
Alrighty, I'm having no trouble getting into my Keenspace account, now, but still cannot connect with my FTP.
Are you saying not to use my FTP program?
Excuse me if I seem a bit computer illiterate, but I have no idea what is meant by "logging into ftp through the command line"...

What Faub means is not to use this:
http://siteadmin.keenspace.com/cgi-bin/web-ftp.cgi
Do you have your FTP client set to Passive FTP by any chance?
My FTP
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:44 am
by Gorga
I cannot find any setting on the FTP that says "passive". I've been using this same program for a couple years with no problems. I just uploaded some stuff to my main site yesterday successfully to test it.
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:45 am
by Yuria
The same with me. I can log into
http://siteadmin2.keenspace.com/cgi-bin ... /login.cgi with no problem, but I can't log into FTP in any way! I tried AceFTP, browser, even the Windows' command line ftp Nothing! It says "login incorrect" like it's logging into the account, but the pasword's wrong or something. But I'm using the same password for the siteadmin. Any ideas?

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:14 am
by Faub
Gorga wrote:Excuse me if I seem a bit computer illiterate, but I have no idea what is meant by "logging into ftp through the command line"...

Okay, assuming you're using Windows since you haven't mentioned anything to the contrary:
Start -> Run gives you a window to type a command.
Windows NT/2000/XP: type "cmd"
Windows 95?/98/ME: type "command"
You get a black window with some text and a prompt that looks like:
c:\>
or something similar.
If you've never used command line, it's very simple. The only thing that works is the keyboard. The mouse makes things change colors but really doesn't do anything. If you ended up with a full screen command prompt, press Alt-Enter to return to windows mode.
I'm going to use my site as an example because I don't want to go through looking up your site names.
first, type "ftp faub.keenspace.com" and press enter.
You get somthing that looks like this:
ftp wrote:
Connected to faub.keenspace.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.9 Server (KeenSpace::YDK FTP Server) [ydk.keenspot.com]
User (faub.keenspace.com:(none)): faub
331 Password required for faub.
Password: <your password will not appear when you type>
230 User faub logged in.
If you actually have a problem logging in, you will get an error. I got this for typing my password incorrectly. There may be a number of errors that will appear here. It depends on how dead your ftp account really is.
ftp wrote:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
To close the ftp session, type "bye" at the ftp> prompt.
ftp wrote:
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
You can actually use command line ftp to copy files from your account to your computer or from your computer to your account. This is where things get touchy, though.
- CD or CHDIR: Changes directories within your ftp tree. If you open windows explorer (not just my computer), on the left you will see a directory tree. You can click the +/- to expand and hide the subfolders. This is the same concept as the ftp directory tree except that you don't have a pretty graphical interface. YOU have to remember where you are in the tree. Your Keenspace directory will look something like this:
-+ / (root directory)
-|---+ /public_html (the "hot" directory where the real files are stored)
-|---|---- /public_html/images
-|---|---- /public_html/d (your comic archive pages)
-|---|---- /public_html/comics (your comic images)
-|---|---- /public_html/workspace (this a symlink to /workspace)
-|---+ /workspace (put indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html here)
-|---|---- /workspace/webpages (put all other .html or .css here)
-|---|---- /workspace/images (this is a symlink to /public_html/images)
-|---|---- /workspace/comics (put all comics here)
Code: Select all
Examples:
cd /workspace [i](moves from anywhere in the tree to /workspace)[/i]
cd images [i](moves from /workspace to /workspace/images)[/i]
cd .. [i](moves backward from /workspace/images to /workspace)[/i]
- PWD: Literally "print working directory." This will display the current path you are in. "Path" means the path you would have to traverse from the root of the directory tree to reach the directory you are in.
- MODE or ASCII or BINARY or BIN or ASC: These commands determine the mode of the file transfer. In FTP there are two modes, ascii which is meant to transmit only text and binary which is meant to transmit images and executables. DO NOT transmit an image using ascii mode. You will get a corrupted image. You CAN safely set the mode to binary and transmit text files, though.
Code: Select all
mode binary (set to binary mode)
200 Type set to I
mode ascii
200 Type set to A
binary
200 Type set to I
ascii
200 Type set to A
bin
200 Type set to I
asc
200 Type set to A
- PUT: put copies files from your hard drive to your ftp account.
This will copy coolpic.jpg from your images directory to the images directory on Keenspace. NOTICE: The directory you are in on the command line MUST have an images directory containing the file coolpic.jpg for this to work. Alternately you can type out the origin AND destination address but this takes work. Better to set everything up right beforehand.
Code: Select all
put c:\keenspace\images\coolpic.jpg images/coolpic.jpg
Putting a file will overwrite whatever is already there.
- GET: get copies files from your keenspace ftp account to the current directory on your computer. It works exactly the same way as put except the direction the file travels is reversed.
Code: Select all
get indextemplate.html
or
get images/coolpic.jpg c:\keenspace\images\coolpic.jpg
- DEL or DELETE: This will delete a file on the ftp site. This will NOT delete a directory. Keenspace generates some files on your account that you cannot overwrite. /public_html/index.html is an example (not that you should want to delete it). In order to copy your own version of a file into Keenspace you may need to first delete the original. If you're only uploading to /workspace/webpages then you shouldn't have a reason to use this command. Notice, though, that you can only delete one file at a time. Entering "del *" will actually return an error. This makes deleting all the files in a directory (/public_html/d/*) a problem. This is where GUI clients are very useful because they will send a del for each file without making your type the command each time.
- MDIR: Literally "make directory." This will create a new directory under the current subdirectory. Or you can specify a full path to the directory you want to create.
Code: Select all
mdir banners
or
mdir /workspace/data
- LS: This is unix shorthand for "list" and is used to get a list of files present in the current directory of your ftp account.
Notice that ls -l gives you much more information that just a list of files. You may notice your user name listed next to some of the files. This means that you are the owner of said files. You have the right to do whatever you like to them. There is also a "0" user. This is autokeen. You do NOT have the right to overwrite these files. You DO have the right to delete them. The column just to the right of your username is the group numer. You and autokeen share the same group and this gives you some minimal access to autokeen's generated files.
- ?: This is the help command. Using it alone will give you a list of available commands. In windows there are 42. In unix there are a few more. I'm not listing all of them here. You need to do some research for yourself.
Code: Select all
Example of Updating a comic with the command line:
(I keep all my Keenspace stuff in a directory called "keenspace." The rest of the directory structure matches the Keenspace FTP site on my computer.)
c:\>d:
d:\>cd keenspace\workspace
d:\keenspace\workspace\>ftp faub.keenspace.com
... stuff ...
ftp> cd workspace
200 command successful
ftp> put comics/20040101.jpg
... stuff ...
ftp> put indextemplate.html
... stuff ...
ftp> put images/somebodys_banner.jpg
... stuff ...
ftp> put webpages/links.html
... stuff ...
ftp> bye
SimSim: FTP requires that the server be able to connect back to you. It's a two way connection. It sounds like your firewall is letting your connect to the ftp server but it's not allowing the ftp server to connect back to you. That's the "unable to build data connection" error.
IE is supposed to use a one-way ftp (passive ftp). I can't think of a reason why you would be getting the data connection error using that. You do have "Enable Folder view for FTP sites" checked in advanced internet properties, right?
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:30 am
by Yuria
Ok so I'm doing it like you've written, connecting and stuff and when I write my password (no spelling mistakes) it still says 'Login incorrect'

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:25 pm
by Faub
http://siteadmintest.keenspace.com/cgi- ... status.cgi
Start here to see if your password exists. You mentioned above that you can get into siteadmin2 so I don't see any problem there.
http://siteadmintest.keenspace.com/cgi- ... ssword.cgi
The next thing to try would be to change your password and try again.
There are three places to try your password: ftp, siteadmin2, and the logs.
If it works in one place it should work fine in the others. I really don't see where the problem could be here. If ftp absolutely refuses to work but everything else does, I would IM to Kisai about it.
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:48 pm
by Phalanx
Is it just me or do a lot of the new accounts seem to be having this problem with FTP? Look at all the posts that are cropping up.
I don't like this.
Grrrr
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:29 pm
by Gorga
I've tried it all now... but nothing's working. I can get into the account, but not with FTP.
My settings are correct, I even found and de-selected "Passive Transfers" on my FTP.
"Enable Folder view for FTP sites" is selected.
My settings on FTP
Host name/address: yebocha.keenspace.com
Host type: Automatic detect
User ID: yebocha
Password: *******
Every time i try, I get:
530 Login incorrect.
! Logon failure, so quitting
Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:10 pm
by Yuria
The same with me! Even the same error number: 530 Login incorrect. I've changed my password via 'Lost password' and still I can log into siteadmin but no FTP . This really seems to be the problem with new accounts.

Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:58 pm
by Kisai
It isn't possible, you have to physically be connecting to the wrong server to get that message since the FTP uses the exact same password field in the system for siteadmin as well.
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:02 am
by Vanya
Yes, I have the same problem. I can log into siteadmin2 but not ftp
However the e-mail I got as a new user does say...
"It may take 2 to 5 days before your account becomes visible via ftp or http. Until then you may not be able to reach your comic's sitename, and your password and account may not work properly."
...so I am going to assume that is why it is not working yet.
It also says:
"Please use
http://siteadmintest.keenspace.com/cgi- ... /login.cgi to modify your comic information."
but I think it's supposed to say siteadmin2.keenspace.com since we are new.
Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:07 am
by Yuria
Kisai wrote:It isn't possible, you have to physically be connecting to the wrong server to get that message since the FTP uses the exact same password field in the system for siteadmin as well.
I just send you a PM about it Kisai, sorry, didn't notice you already answered here. I tried logging into ftp.keenspace.com as well as riotgrrls.keenspace.com (my username is riotgrrls). I also thought of that email that says there can be problems with new accounts, but 5 days passed few days ago and the problem is still there... Do you suggest to just wait more? Maybe we're just being too impatient?
