Text on archive comics.

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Postby Screwball McGoo [gDC] on Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:20 am

There are probably thousands of ways to do this. I'll outline three briefly.<P>The first is to directly change your "/d/COMICNAME.html" file to include text. This is probably risky.<P>The second is to save the text in a comic format. Placing 20000909c.html in your workspacecomics folder will cause the auto-updater to place it below 20000909a.jpg or 20000909.jpg because it works in alphabetical order.<P>The third to to make your file in the comics folder as bit of HTML that has an "A Href" to your pic with text wherever you want it.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drollstreet:
<B>I've been trying for some time to put text on my individual comics, without having to put the text on my dailytemplate.html file. I've had some comics that need explaining and don't know how I can add the text to thier individual /d/NAMEOFCOMIC.html page. Does anyone?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------
For reference, I'm probably not in "happy face mood" when writing this but I always forget to change the button. Not this sign, though. <A HREF="http://nerdz.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank> NERDZ </A>
Screwball McGoo [gDC]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tirdun on Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:57 am

Actually i've done just what you're trying to do. McGoo explains it briefly above, but here's a step by step.<P>1- For each comic you want text included in, save the bit of text as having ALMOST the same name. So comic 20001015.gif has text explanations in 20001015b.html. The "b" will put the text below the comic. If you want the text above the comic, name your strip 20001015b.gif and your text 20001015a.html or whatever.<P>2- Copy the html file into your comics directory in your working/comics folder.<P>3- Run a full update. I'm fairly positive this requires a full update so that the system will go back and rebuild all of your old daily files to include the new text. <P>note that you can spice up your text with HTML tags, or put it in a table (for borders/background/etc) justt remember that this text will be INSERTED into your daily page right below your comic, so you don't need to put the HTML, HEAD, BODY or such tags, just the snippets of HTML you want around your text (bold, table stuff, etc). <P>That's it. Enjoy.<P>------------------
Brian West
aka Tirdun
tirdun@yahoo.com <A HREF="http://farawaystars.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>farawaystars.keenspace.com</A>
Tirdun
Regular Poster

Postby Drollstreet on Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:52 am

I've been trying for some time to put text on my individual comics, without having to put the text on my dailytemplate.html file. I've had some comics that need explaining and don't know how I can add the text to thier individual /d/NAMEOFCOMIC.html page. Does anyone?<P>------------------
Take A Vacation On <A HREF="http://drollstreet.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Droll Street</A>. Now With Comics!
Drollstreet
Regular Poster

Postby Screwball McGoo [gDC] on Mon Oct 09, 2000 7:09 am

Although to be fair, if you're doing it with GIFs you need not change anything. .gif comes after .html after all.
It's those accursed j's in JPEGS that throw people off.<P>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tirdun:
<B>Actually i've done just what you're trying to do. McGoo explains it briefly above, but here's a step by step.<P>1- For each comic you want text included in, save the bit of text as having ALMOST the same name. So comic 20001015.gif has text explanations in 20001015b.html. The "b" will put the text below the comic. If you want the text above the comic, name your strip 20001015b.gif and your text 20001015a.html or whatever.<P>2- Copy the html file into your comics directory in your working/comics folder.<P>3- Run a full update. I'm fairly positive this requires a full update so that the system will go back and rebuild all of your old daily files to include the new text. <P>note that you can spice up your text with HTML tags, or put it in a table (for borders/background/etc) justt remember that this text will be INSERTED into your daily page right below your comic, so you don't need to put the HTML, HEAD, BODY or such tags, just the snippets of HTML you want around your text (bold, table stuff, etc). <P>That's it. Enjoy.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><P>------------------
For reference, I'm probably not in "happy face mood" when writing this but I always forget to change the button. Not this sign, though. <A HREF="http://nerdz.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank> NERDZ </A>
Screwball McGoo [gDC]
Cartoon Hero

Return to Help Center