Newbie Please Help (FTP issue)

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Newbie Please Help (FTP issue)

Postby lightbulbs on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Ok I can log into my account, this changes fact from my first post. Graces I'm having an issue with the FTP software now!

I downloaded and installed Filezila, I logged in through it. But for the life of me I can't upload through it! First thing I want to do is upload the already made comic pages into the right directory. It won't let me, it keeps halting saying it can't preform the task. I downloaded and tried another highly rated FTP program ...Sadly I couldn't even log in with that one. Pity me, the last time I used an FTP Client was back in '08 briefly for a friend on a computer I no longer have. I'm not a total newbie on website management, I'm just used to file managers more. Please help me get started.
lightbulbs

Re: Newbie Please Help (FTP issue)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:10 am

Does the dialogue box say anything other than that it "can't perform the task?" Can you lay out your exact actions in more detail?

I'm wondering if this has to do with the fact that your username begins with a lowercase letter. For some reason we've had problems here with people whose usernames start with lowercase letters not being able to log into siteadmin, for instance. I don't think that should cause trouble with your FTP software though!

A dumb question, were you connected to the internet when you tried to use your FTP? The reason I ask is because sometimes I open my computer and try to use the FTP without logging into the wireless internet and it doesn't work because it needs that connection.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby lightbulbs on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:57 pm

No, it didn't say that. As for the siteadmin bit here in the forum I can't even get the forum to display while I'm logged into Comic Genesis. Yes, I was online last night when fighting with the FTP.

Literally now I just got the FTP to accept the comic pages but I got shocked at them being accepted through a directory I didn't think they'd go in. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Will the auto updater know which to handle first?
workspace>comics>..
How I tried going yesterday was: public-html>comics>..
lightbulbs

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Bingo! That's the problem, you were trying to put them in public. :) The server will do that for you when your comic automatically updates at whatever time you selected. You'll want to upload everything into workspace- that's the folder that the server reaches for, and once it has uploaded things at your update time, they get shifted to the public folder. The public folder is basically everything you already have on your webpage (old comics, old images, etc).

TLDR don't put anything into the public folder, only use workspace.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby lightbulbs on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for the clarification :D . ...I'm really having it rough with this. I need a visual walk through over this. Example every time I tried to view the index source code for editing Windows by default kept pulling up IE for the job (blank screen). So I changed it to FireFox. That allowed me to see the template file. No loaded images, I thought at the least I'd see page one of the comic. Norton isn't to blame, the suspect program I guess some users have an issue with. When I got to seeing the source code ..jessh, I don't know JAVA, only basic HTML. I don't know how to start editing the code, what sucks is I'm the only person in my social circle that knows any thing about coding (I know non-web related languages). I feel I've messed up the site. For example I uploaded every page made so far then logged into Comic Genesis as instructed and uploaded page one a second time. I'm sure that can't be right, uploading the file twice. Could some one walk me through this with screen shot after screen shot? Oh mighty members of this forum who have been making web comics, and are not novices about these matters, help me!

....There is true irony in this. Really. Reading the comic will confirm that.
lightbulbs

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Alright, here's what I do, it's probably not the most straightforward way to to it, but I edit my html files in a text document. The way I open them up to look at them is by doing the following:

In the folder where my html files are (on my computer), I create a blank .txt (Notepad) file. I open that, and then go to File, then click "Open."
The window comes up with files and folders for whatever location on my computer. I stay in that window and navigate it to the folder where my html files are kept (In my case, I go looking back to the desktop, to Loud Era folder, to Site Stuff folder, and then to Templates folder).

Then I start typing the name of the file I want to open. For instance, I want to open the index.html file. I type "ind" and one of the options that it shows is "index.html." I click that, and open it, and there is my html file, open in a text document and ready to be edited. When I save, it gets saved as an html file.

I can give you some more in depth help this weekend if you need it! I'll be home then and will have more free time. Hopefully what I just said will at least start it up a bit.

ETA: Wow. Years I've been doing this and I've only now realized- right click the html file, go down to "open with," and click "Notepad." Lmao. A million times easier and less time consuming. So do that instead of the method I explained above.

Double ETA: Make sure the files you are editing are located on your computer, so you aren't editing directly into the file that's already primed for upload. That way if you make a mistake it won't change what's on the site if you don't realize it in time.

And regarding uploading the same file more than once- that's not any kind of problem at all, in fact you need to do that over the course of time in order to update your site if you want to change the design or update images and stuff like that. All uploading the same file twice does is replace the older version of the file on the server with the "new" version of the file (even if there is no difference between them, that's how it will interpret them).
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby lightbulbs on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Wow thank you so much (hug), I'm looking forward to your tutorial. I've known for a while to always fiddle with backups when it comes to experimental coding, used to play with Hex editors a long time ago, that's as deep as it gets for messing with files. I've known about the quick way to make html files for a long time, that and the easy look up you mentioned. I'm sure these tips will be a major help to other users, I figured them out on my own. ...I love Windows 7.

I wanna help you back. Your comic, is it up for voting?
lightbulbs

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Aw, thanks! If you mean voting on one of the Top Webcomics sites, nah, I haven't set up for that yet, but thanks so much for the offer :) I'm no genius with coding, but I'll send you the resources I have. In the meantime, I'm not sure if you've looked here yet, but there's also this old marshmallow, which was very useful to me when I started setting up shop here. Granted, large swaths of it are probably outdated, but it's still good for getting the basics down and navigating how certain comicgenesis-specific codes work.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kisai on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:54 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Aw, thanks! If you mean voting on one of the Top Webcomics sites, nah, I haven't set up for that yet, but thanks so much for the offer :) I'm no genius with coding, but I'll send you the resources I have. In the meantime, I'm not sure if you've looked here yet, but there's also this old marshmallow, which was very useful to me when I started setting up shop here. Granted, large swaths of it are probably outdated, but it's still good for getting the basics down and navigating how certain comicgenesis-specific codes work.

None of the tags should be depreciated unless Kelly didn't re-implement it. The only stuff not listed at http://gear.comicgenesis.com/ensign/Tagglossary.html are the css_ specific tags (see http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.ph ... =Tagtorial ) which only apply to the ***css_calendar*** tag.

It does help however if you view some keenspot sites to see what the tags do. Please note that Keenspot uses the original version of AutoKeen and some tags have different behaviors.

Examples (these are sites that I worked on the template):

plusev.keenspot.com , view the original site, and then view it's template plusev.keenspot.com/template.html
*please note that the ***first_day***,***previous_day***,***next_day***,***last_day*** tags on this site are configured to place the anchor tag's href URL and not the image+anchor tag. Other than that this is a good example of how to incorporate a blog that changes. Use Chrome or Firefox+firebug to view and then "inspect element" on anything you're curious about. Also DO NOT COPY the template wholesale. plusev is also one of the only comics that make correct use of the css_calendar tag. (menagea3, eeriecuties and magickchicks also utilized this tag correctly when they were on the keenspot server.)

waywardsons.keenspot.com, view the original site, and then view the template at waywardsons.keenspot.com/workspace/indextemplate.html and the daily template at waywardsons.keenspot.com/workspace/dailytemplate.html , note DO NOT COPY any part of the template. Here's another example of how to incorporate livejournal or disqus for commenting. Like plusev, the ***first_day***,***previous_day***,***next_day***,***last_day*** have been configured like plusev's and only have the link's href. The reason for this customization is because the top and bottom navigation images are different. This behavior is specific to keenspot's autokeen and was never in CG's autokeen, as such may not exist in CG's current tag process. (It's basically a "if USEALTERNATEBEHAVIOR=TRUE do {alternate behavior}else{original behavior}")

Other notable features on keenspot sites that you CAN DO on CG sites without using special tags:
- Sharethis and Wibya if you want, facebook, google +1 buttons can be used stand-alone without issue
- Tumblr blogs *might* work.
- Twitter widgets
- Disqus or livejournal for commenting (only works with paid livejournal)
- Quantcast or Google Analytics (async supported)
- Project Wonderful (yes you can use comic-specific ones.)

The only other two tricks specific to keenspot is the header, and the "click to go forward trick", the former was rewritten from scratch after a fellow webcomic author copied it without asking, so the current keenspot header is created dynamically, and thus requires no body-tag hacks/css-adjustments since they are done in the header. The CG header is technically required, but not enforced, but uses the older style of code. (See also http://thefirstdaughter.keenspot.com/ for an alternate header system that could be used on CG if there is some demand for it, note the pogs use instead of a text dropdown.)

One more thing...
Although eeriecuties is no longer on Keenspot, the "jump to another comic" buttonbar on their site is something I also created from scratch. This works as a cross between the header's dropdown and the newsbox (comics should that update "today" are shown first, left to right.) It's also size-configured by CSS, so it can be made longer or shorter depending on the layout.

In the last 24 months I've basically been looking at javascripty stuff, as the new buzzword is "asynchronous javascript", which only projectwonderful ,quantcast and google analytics are really ahead of the game, with google's adsense slightly behind the game (they iframe ads to get around load time issues.) Other ad networks you have to resort to the tricks I used in plusev and waywardsons to avoid making the ads delay the page loading. The target load time is 2 seconds from the time the web browser connects to the time you start seeing the comic image.

PS. As much as I appear to be an appropriate contact for CG support, PM'ing me via the forums absolutely does not guarantee a response since the inbox is often full and the notifications I get from all comicgenesis.com sites are filtered away because they get lost in the signup emails. There is very very little that I need to be contacted for, and only when it's of a technical nature ("sever's down, no sites are updating") as there's years and years of support messages on the forums, that you should be able to find your answer with the search button.

Please do not phone or email keenspot about issues with your CG accounts as ultimately they get forwarded to me and I end up writing an email from scratch about how to use the forums search button. Serious. Use the search button. When we used to have an email ticket system, it was mostly spam with the occasional email that could be summarized with "I used the search button on the forums and found this url relevant to your inquiry." I'm not angry when people do this, but you waste your time contacting keenspot because -I- am the only person who knows how all of the servers work. I do not have time to handhold several thousand users at a time, and ultimately email support would result in a much worse customer support experience as you'd get nothing but copypasta emails if it's been covered on the forums.

Again, if you don't see it in the forum, use the search button. If you aren't quite sure what you are looking for, ask, as it's absolutely certain that someone has asked it before, and if nobody has it might be a month before it gets my attention. I chime in every so often if I think something isn't being answered correctly. But I'd much prefer that the same question be asked every 60 days and someone have a pre-prepared answer (or link to the right answer save on the wiki) than people getting frustrated.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Return to Help Center