New ad sizes

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.
User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

New ad sizes

Post by Faub »

Is anyone else seeing these? My site and a few others I've looked at are using obnoxiously huge banner ads. Could this be a bug in my HTML that's stretching the ads or has anyone else seen these? They're definitely larger than 468x60, closer to 750x80 but I don't have exact dimensions. I've been seeing them for the past few days and was just wondering.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Aye, I was gonna bring it up earlier. We seem to be getting some 728 by 90 banners like keenspot does, and they're playing merry hell with my layout.

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Post by Toxic »

Digital War wrote:Aye, I was gonna bring it up earlier. We seem to be getting some 728 by 90 banners like keenspot does, and they're playing merry hell with my layout.
Oh my god, they severed War's hand!

User avatar
EMH
Regular Poster
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:08 am
Location: right next to nowhere
Contact:

Post by EMH »

Also, there are the pop-ups. :evil:
Digital War wrote:Aye, I was gonna bring it up earlier. We seem to be getting some 728 by 90 banners like keenspot does, and they're playing merry hell with my layout.
hmm... I'm not sure as to legality of this, but you could try using CSS:
width:whatever;
height:whatever;
overflow:hidden;
Emergency Moderating Hologram - superhero alter ego of YarpsDat
don't PM me on this account. I usualy only log in to it when something needs malleting...

User avatar
Turnsky
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1488
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Devonport, Tasmania
Contact:

Post by Turnsky »

pop-ups?.. :o

but yeah, some of the new ad sizes are fucking over my comic site's layout...

also, it seems the ads are WIDER than my comic. :evil:

User avatar
Superlance
Regular Poster
Posts: 974
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
Location: ASMS, Mobile
Contact:

Post by Superlance »

My beautiful new site design!!
I designed it to fit those smaller ads!
Not these monsters!

My 800x600 version!!
Ye took my the longest, and now ye are screwed up the most!!
My tables!! :o :cry:
Image

ASMS: The school for the criminally insane.
They put us here to keep up away from the normal people.
You feared Algebra in high school? Integral Calculus is a required class here.

ZOMBIE USER 19235
Regular Poster
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 19235 »

i don't know, but I've noticed lots of HUGE ads on my site also. Some times two ads pop up and im like :o it gets pretty annoying :( hm.

Melody
Regular Poster
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 9:21 am
Contact:

>>

Post by Melody »

I have noticed the larger ones. Thankfully my comic layout easily accounts for them.

I have never had any popups on Keenspace. Then again, the only comic I read is my own. Still, if you have popups on Keenspace, you probably have spyware.
http://www.gamasutra.com - Game developer community and resources.
http://www.intpcentral.com - Like a bunch of Melody's, but weaker.
http://www.dietpepsi.com/ - Tastes interesting.

User avatar
RPin
Gentleman Pornographer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 am
Location: I'm off to Brazil, bitches!
Contact:

Post by RPin »

Mine doesn't have a problem handing those. But it's really weird, I agree.

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

Okay, this is what I did on my main page and it seems to have worked:

Code: Select all

<style>
.keen_ad iframe { width:468px; height:60px; }
</style>
...
<div class="keen_ad">***advertisement***</div>
Since the ads are all flash, they scale back to the proper size automatically.

Zuri
Regular Poster
Posts: 174
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Post by Zuri »

There was a post regarding this over in the 'spot forums.

http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=#1307001

Apparently the advertisment code was updated to allow for these huge, obnoxious ads because apparently they pay better.

Not that I agree with it myself. :P Not a big fan of big ads, even less of a fan of NOT BEING TOLD about such a change PRIOR to its implimentation.

* grumbles *
~Purrs
**Zuri**
Werewolves, Vampires, and Puppet shows! <A href="http://shifters.keenspace.com"> Shifters: The Beast Within</a>
<a href="http://shifters.keenspace.com">Image</a>

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Yer quick fix doesn't seem to work faub. The large banners seem to be just ignoring the iframe completely or something.
I'll try Yarp's next. If that fails, time to alter the design a bit.

User avatar
YarpsDat
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3637
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:28 am
Location: nowhere

Post by YarpsDat »

I never trusted the places that suggested incorporating the advertisement in your layout.
Yeah.
I would just put ***advertisement***<hr /> and it's fine.

EDIT: removing the bad code.
Last edited by YarpsDat on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
You are the Non. You must go now, and never return."

"1.Scan in high res 2.tweak with curves,levels or something to clean up the scan (or use channel mixer to remove blue pencil lines) 3.Add colour using a layer set to multiply. 4.Add wordbubbles and text as vector shapes. 5. Merge all layers. 6.resize to the web size. 7. Export/Save for Web" that's all I know about webcomicking.

User avatar
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 5772
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: ????
Contact:

Post by Phact0rri »

yeah I add the ***advertisement*** before my first <table> so my design doesn't get affected. seem to the be the sure fire way. even if those gigantic ads to seem a bit obtrusive... sometimes when I load the forums I get this flash of a banner that takes up hald the vertical screen. so I guess it could be much worse.
Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;

FoxFang
Regular Poster
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 1:52 pm

Post by FoxFang »

So I have to adjust website so it can fit? Because when they show up, they are the last layer and just disappear behind whatever else and can't be seen. I don't wat to get anyone mad at me.

User avatar
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin
Posts: 2580
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: undef;
Contact:

Post by STrRedWolf »

Yes, folks, the big ads were comming, by golly, and now they're here. Please adjust your sites to allow for a full honking 760-pixel-wide ad. I'll be doing the same myself for mine in a few days.

BIG! HONKNG! ADS!

BTW -- pitch folks to get KeenSpot Premium, so they won't see those BIG! HONKING! ADS! I'm working on a way to get the weekly pages and everything in /premium working again. Hint hint!
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!

User avatar
Mr Ekshin
Regular Poster
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:28 am
Location: Back against a wall with an apple on my head.
Contact:

Post by Mr Ekshin »

So I take it that we're not supposed to mess with the new ad sizes? Just need to have that spelled-out please. :)

User avatar
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)
Posts: 3698
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:53 pm
Location: Missouri, USA
Contact:

Post by Faub »

What's the actual size of the huge banner ad?

User avatar
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light
Posts: 3276
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Past, the Present, The future
Contact:

Post by Kisai »

DO NOT:

1. attempt to hide the ad
2. attempt to resize the ad

This violates the advertisor agreements, which means bad things.

DO:
1. Stop using a layout table, put the ad outside of it.
2. Adjust your layout so you don't get trompped on by 768x90 ads.

...

Oh and BTW, if you are running any firewall/privacy enhancement that strips referrers or hides ads... bad you.

You know the reason that the 468x60 banner is going away is because such stupid software auto-hides the normal banners. Blame the firewall software makers.

User avatar
War
Grr
Posts: 3018
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:26 pm
Contact:

Post by War »

Ah well, chopped a little of War's hair off and moved the ad tag out of the table. All is well again.

Post Reply