Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
-
Phillerspace
- Newbie
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 am
Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
I am trying to go back and delete some old strips (for a week there are two copies on a page, for some reason). Unfortunately, I cannot seem to FIND the public_html/comic folder or the public_html/d folder in my comic page and it is frustrating me. I know this is possible because it's in the Wiki, and I've even done it before, but it was long enough ago that I've forgotten how I did it. Help please?
- spoonyliger
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm
- Location: ComicGenesis 4evah!
- Contact:
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
How are you managing your folders? Through an FTP program or through the website?
-
Phillerspace
- Newbie
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 am
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
Through the website.
- spoonyliger
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm
- Location: ComicGenesis 4evah!
- Contact:
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
Ah, that would explain why. Personally, I don't use the website for file managing only because it's so limited (I think). I doubt that it even has an option to delete comics. And when you add a comic page with the same date as one you've uploaded before, it just adds the new page to that same day. That's why you're seeing two there. Solution? Get yourself an FTP program. Either you're on a PC or Mac, I recommend using FileZilla. It's what I use and I find it very helpful. You'll have an easier time finding that public folder so you can delete pages. I delete pages all the time. I have to delete one page every time I upload a new chapter. What you have to be careful about deleting pages is that you delete the right files and only the right files. For example, if you wanted to delete yesterday's page you'd go into the Public Comics folder and delete 20130103.jpg and then go to the Public d folder and delete 20130103.htm.Phillerspace wrote:Through the website.
- LibertyCabbage
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 4667
- Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:08 pm
- Location: bat country
- Contact:
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
I second FileZilla. I use it all the time, and it's both easy to use and very reliable.spoonyliger wrote: I recommend using FileZilla.
- VeryCuddlyCornpone
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3245
- Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
- Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
- Contact:
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
And free.LibertyCabbage wrote:I second FileZilla. I use it all the time, and it's both easy to use and very reliable.spoonyliger wrote: I recommend using FileZilla.
-
Phillerspace
- Newbie
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 am
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
That sounds great, except the last time I tried using any sort of FTP program to alter my site I almost wound up erasing my website complete. Considering the age in which we live I am unforgivably computer-ignorant. So if there IS some way to erase old files through the standard update page I'd really feel more comfortable with that. Anyone have any guidance?
- spoonyliger
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:38 pm
- Location: ComicGenesis 4evah!
- Contact:
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
I'm really sorry, I wish there was, but there really isn't a way to delete them through the site. But if you do decide to use an FTP program, just follow the steps I mentioned and there shouldn't be a problem. If you're scared about losing files, you should back-up those files on your computer. If something goes wrong, you can just put those files back where you deleted them from.Phillerspace wrote:That sounds great, except the last time I tried using any sort of FTP program to alter my site I almost wound up erasing my website complete. Considering the age in which we live I am unforgivably computer-ignorant. So if there IS some way to erase old files through the standard update page I'd really feel more comfortable with that. Anyone have any guidance?
-
Phillerspace
- Newbie
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:36 am
Re: Stupid cartoonist with stupid question. Please help.
Fiddlesticks. Well, thank you for your help, Spoon, et al. I guess I'll have to give that a try, unless anyone out there has any other ideas.




