Site won't update at all

For requests for help from CG administrators, Wranglers, and experienced CG members. Please read the FAQ before posting. Also look at CG Wiki for tutorials and how-tos written by other CG webtoonists.

Site won't update at all

Postby cuorevoodoo on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:39 am

Hallo!
I wanted to revamp my site, but it won't update. I can access my files with ftp with no problems, but when I log in in the site admin with my forum's profile and launch an update, index or full, nothing happens. (I have tried with two users, Archetypes and Cuorevoodoo that I have created yesterday). There's something I can do? :\
Thanks!
Sans Souci
cuorevoodoo

Re: Site won't update at all

Postby Cope on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:32 am

You'll need to use the new siteadmin at https://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com/ (note that it says "https" instead of "http")

You'll also need to ignore the security warning, since the certificate isn't in order at this time.
Image Image
"I've always been fascinated by failure!" -Charlie Brown
Cope
Incompetent Monster

Postby cuorevoodoo on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 am

wow! Thanks a lot!
cuorevoodoo

also having issues with updating

Postby Tanami on Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:00 am

I am having the same issue as mentioned in the first post - I just tried to follow the https link you have there but it's making no difference at the moment.

I have also tried deleting the index.html file from the public folder since my workspace folder shows my new indextemplate.html file as being the most recent version while the public/index.html is still dated march this year.

The public/index.html did not replicate itself anew from the workspace indextemplate the way it has before when I have had files refuse to update. Instead it put up the ole' 404 error and I have, temporarily, dropped an indextemplate.html renamed as "index.html" so I have a page there (mainly for my tag box so I can let people know what is going on.

I've checked my RSS page but it's not showing any updates whatsoever :(
I've also got a comic queued in the workspace/ folder (One for March -_-) that still has not been picked up and updated despite many pokes of the "regular" update button today and one desperate jab at the full update in the hope it would fix the index and comic update problem. No movement at all. :(

I was having this trouble a bit back in April and got so cross with it I walked away and left my comic to hiatus for this time.
(That and I had a university degree to complete) but I'm back and trying to sort out the mess.

Any help would be gratefully received - I shall continue to poke at it and see if I can make it work but any other ways of zapping it that might solve the problem would be greatly greatly appreciated!

Cheers! Tallulah
GoneAstray.comicgenesis.com

I love that I'm a Newbie and I joined in '99 @_@ Shows how much I post eh.
Tanami
Regular Poster

Postby Spaceprincess on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:39 pm

you might have something in the wrong folder. check to make sure that something isn't in a spot it shouldn't. or files may be miss named. and check the date code on your comics. if they're not correct ( like a day that doesn't exist or the wrong year/month) they won't up date.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby Tanami on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:40 am

I wish that were the case. No the date format is fine. One of them half loaded and remained unchangeable as only half visible back in March. When I reuploaded it yesterday it finally fully loaded on the site.
Comicgenesis hasn't been having problems with .gifs in the last year has it? If so I'll switch back to .pngs but I don't see why that should be the problem.
My main issue at the moment remains that the index.html isn't updating from the indextemplate despite me having tried to update the index page through various means.
I had hoped that by leaving it overnight the update would go through and I would check it in the morning to find it all working again but there has been no such luck :(

Spaceprincess wrote:you might have something in the wrong folder. check to make sure that something isn't in a spot it shouldn't. or files may be miss named. and check the date code on your comics. if they're not correct ( like a day that doesn't exist or the wrong year/month) they won't up date.
Tanami
Regular Poster

Postby Kisai on Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:10 am

The format of the comic is irrelevant, weather it displays or not depends on the web browser.

Nearly 100% of the reasons for "it doesn't update" is due to the filename being invalid.

Invalid day of month (day = 31 - month = 09 - year = 2003)

There is no September 31st.
Kisai
Goddess of Light
Goddess of Light

Ongoing issue: Re: Site won't update at all

Postby Tanami on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Admin: could I please get a direct assist?

I have looked through the FAQs again and other peoples posts on the matter and tried everything suggested to no success.
I have tried regular, index then full updates. There is no response to my site in updating the index or the few sub pages I have also tried. New comics are also not being shown.
I have tried deleting the index.html from the public folder and updated index. It did not create a new file from the workspace folder. Instead it put up the file not found error page and I have resorted to putting a copy of the index template (with all the ***codes***) visible in as the index.html so I can keep in communication with my readers.
I have checked my public and workspace folders for duplicate forms of index/indextemplate and there were none.
I have tried uploading comics, updating and checking the archive to see if it is an issue with the index page but they do not show up there either.
I have cleared my cache and cookies to check if it's just my browser but the feedback I am getting in my tagboard from readers (or lack there of) indicates they aren't seeing change either.

I'm using Dreamweaver for my uploads and it indicates that the comics are sitting there in the public "comics" folder but the infrastructure does not appear to be generating new pages for them or my index. I can upload with no problem to my workspace with .html pages but they don't appear to be recognised and transfered by what ever the program is that interacts between the workspace and public folders

Is there any way you can poke a big red button in the back to do a forced update or see why my page is being so completely unresponsive?
This problem has been hounding me since Feb last year but every time I try to do something about it (spending an hour or more checking my codes and fruitlessly waiting on update) I have had no success. It is really soul draining and has prevented me from working on my comic for almost a full year now : (

GoneAstray.comicgenesis.com

Please Obi Wan. You are my only hope....

Tanami
Tanami
Regular Poster

Postby Spaceprincess on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 pm

something may be missing from the public folder. if it isn't updating at all it sounds like something may be missing.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby Tanami on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Can anyone tell me what generated files live in the public folder that aren't directly corresponding to the files from the workspace folder?

Is there a wiki page that lists what you should expect to see in the public folder apart from things that have been uploaded from workspace?.

My comic has been un-updatable for over a year now and I really want to get this sorted. It is killing my enthusiasm to work on the comic and it is a horrible feeling.
Tanami
Regular Poster

Postby Spaceprincess on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:57 am

this is whats in my public folder
comics (a folder containing comics that have updated)
d (a folder with each comics html page)
favicon.ico (?)
images (a folder for misc. images)
index.html
rss.xml
w (a folder but mines empty)
workspace (a folder with a copy of everything in the work space)

you may have to start over.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby Tanami on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:11 am

I've still had no luck with update - The bot just seems to ignore my request to update.
I'm getting a programming friend to check my process but I can't see that I'm doing anything wrong.

My Workspace folder contains -
comics
d
images
workspace
rss.xml
and the .ico file same as your own findings

As well as the index.html and my own additional website page files.
How would one go about "Restarting"?

I am loath to delete all the files in public (leaving empty folders) and try my luck with a full update since the system appears to be ignoring both my requests and the manual updates.
I get the feeling trying to 'redo' anything as if from scratch is going to leave me wit a 404 error, abort, retry, fail.
Tanami
Regular Poster

Postby LibertyCabbage on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:02 am

Tanami wrote:How would one go about "Restarting"?

You could back up your files and start with brand-new indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html files.

indextemplate.html: http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.ph ... extemplate
dailytemplate.html: http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.ph ... lytemplate

Then move all your comic pages back to /workspace/comics/, and delete the HTML files in /public_html/ and /public_html/d/.

Schedule a full update, and the system should generate new HTML files for everything. That's about as close to "restarting" as getting a new subdomain.

Tanami wrote:I am loath to delete all the files in public (leaving empty folders) and try my luck with a full update since the system appears to be ignoring both my requests and the manual updates.
I get the feeling trying to 'redo' anything as if from scratch is going to leave me wit a 404 error, abort, retry, fail.

I understand why you're wary, but really, since you can just download copies of everything in the FTP to your hard drive, there's no actual risk of screwing anything up.
ImageImage
"Seems like the only comics that would be good to this person are super action crazy lines, mega poses!"
LibertyCabbage
Cartoon Hero

Return to Help Center