o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
- BionicDance
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
Yes, agreed; I, too, would like an ETA on a solution, or at least an update of sorts.
My comic goes live on Thursday and I'd like to be able to have it looking nice and spiffy before then; I can't do that in any reasonable way if I can't force an update and have to wait until midnight or so before I can see if I've made any errors, and then another 24 to see if I've fixed them...
My comic goes live on Thursday and I'd like to be able to have it looking nice and spiffy before then; I can't do that in any reasonable way if I can't force an update and have to wait until midnight or so before I can see if I've made any errors, and then another 24 to see if I've fixed them...
-
SomethingWicked
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
I wouldn't mind the 24 hour lag at the moment, personally, if only because my site hasn't updated in now a week.
If this problem isn't solved soon, or some kind of ETA or compromise announced, I will take it elsewhere.
If this problem isn't solved soon, or some kind of ETA or compromise announced, I will take it elsewhere.
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
hello, having the same problem as not being able to acess the site admin.
when i type in my user name and password i get this message.
Forum Username Rsp not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)
Please see below for possible correct spellings:
I've posted twice, only ever logged in with a Capital letter infront of my account name and can acess the wiki, forums and FTP interface without any problemo's, but so far have been utterly rejected by the site admin.
this is most un-fortunate as i was following http://gear.comicgenesis.com/cadet/StepByStepGuide.html and was up to step 10, Deleteing and replaceing my original submitited comic for my new front page comic before i got bitch slapped down by Site admin.
Now im stuck with no first page as i have just deleted the old comic image as in step 9, and have no idear how to replace a new one without the Site-admin... and sujestions for my current position would be apprechated.
*edited*
after loging out and relogging after getting above error, this was displayed on the new loging screen
Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 617
when i type in my user name and password i get this message.
Forum Username Rsp not valid!
You must have a ComicGenesis Forum login (or you entered a bad username or password, it is CASE SENSITIVE.)
Please see below for possible correct spellings:
I've posted twice, only ever logged in with a Capital letter infront of my account name and can acess the wiki, forums and FTP interface without any problemo's, but so far have been utterly rejected by the site admin.
this is most un-fortunate as i was following http://gear.comicgenesis.com/cadet/StepByStepGuide.html and was up to step 10, Deleteing and replaceing my original submitited comic for my new front page comic before i got bitch slapped down by Site admin.
Now im stuck with no first page as i have just deleted the old comic image as in step 9, and have no idear how to replace a new one without the Site-admin... and sujestions for my current position would be apprechated.
*edited*
after loging out and relogging after getting above error, this was displayed on the new loging screen
Unexpected character in input: ''' (ASCII=39) state=1 in /home/space/siteadmin/public_html/everything.php on line 617
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
Please don't use the Cadets Guide as it is depreaceiated and no longer fully accurate.
Refer to the CGWiki for tutorials and instructions on how to get things done.
Start from here: http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.php/Tutorials - Look at "Getting rid of unwanted strips" (which includes putting up the replacement).
Refer to the CGWiki for tutorials and instructions on how to get things done.
Start from here: http://cgwiki.comicgenesis.com/index.php/Tutorials - Look at "Getting rid of unwanted strips" (which includes putting up the replacement).
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
thanks for the new link!
allthough.. the wiki keeps telling me roughly the same things, such as refering to acsessing the siteadmin in quite a few of the tutorial steps.for instance, see below
**side note**
Perth, western australia yes?, if so i live in the same city as you!, small world ^.^
allthough.. the wiki keeps telling me roughly the same things, such as refering to acsessing the siteadmin in quite a few of the tutorial steps.for instance, see below
do i just follow these steps up untill the point it refers me to siteadmin and then ignore the rest?Deleting a Strip
In order to totally remove a strip from your archive (except the latest which is on the index) you need to remove both the image and the html code. In order to do this you need to be able to access your comic account through an ftp program. This tutorial assumes that you know how to use your ftp software.
1. Determine which strips you want to remove. For this example, we'll use the 2006 Christmas Strip (20061225.jpg).
2. Access your account so that you can see the files in your public_html folder.
3. Go to the public_html/comic folder and delete the file 20061225.jpg (and any others you don't want).
4. Go to the public_html/d folder and delete the file 20061225.html (the html files with the same date).
5. Go to the siteadmin page and trigger a regular update if the deleted strips are recent or a full update if the deleted strips are more than two weeks old.
The reson for triggering an update is that if you don't the pages on either side of the missing comics will point into the empty gap and your readers will get a 404 error. After the update, check to make sure that the pages on either side point to each other instead of at the hole.
**side note**
Perth, western australia yes?, if so i live in the same city as you!, small world ^.^
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
Yay! Fellow sandgroper!
Yeah, the reason for step 5 is to see the result as soon as possible. If you don't trigger an update via SiteAdmin, then that means you just wait until the server updates the comic automatically. The default is US midnight, which would make it around noon for Perth people.
(As an aside, there are a few small comic and writing groups in Perth, but they meet fairly infrequently if you are interested.)
Yeah, the reason for step 5 is to see the result as soon as possible. If you don't trigger an update via SiteAdmin, then that means you just wait until the server updates the comic automatically. The default is US midnight, which would make it around noon for Perth people.
(As an aside, there are a few small comic and writing groups in Perth, but they meet fairly infrequently if you are interested.)
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
Still can't long in to Site Admin. Registered on June 23, received email over 24hours ago and can log into FTP fine. Kinda playing the waiting game of waiting to see if time will allow me to log in, but curious is any other changes on fixing this have come up. Also, I can't find the first page/preview image on the FTP to edit/remove it and replace it with a resized version and wondering if anyone knows the name FTP put on the file?.
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
I have the same matter. I joined Jun 22 and got my account on Jun 29. Because of the "forum name matter", I made a new forum name called Galbador0 (the old one was galbador), but I still can't log in. My ftp address is galbador.comicgenesis.com
-
SomethingWicked
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
I don't mind waiting for the auto-update if it actually updated for me.
Is there anything at all I can do? It's been over a week since I last FTP'ed new HTML and CSS pages, and still nothing is showing up.
Is there anything at all I can do? It's been over a week since I last FTP'ed new HTML and CSS pages, and still nothing is showing up.
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
@ All: still no new news on when the SiteAdmin will be fixed. Not what you guys wanted to hear, but just letting everyone know that we have not forgotten about you.
The current issue is that new members or people who change their forum password are unable to log into SiteAdmin. This is a system wide error and there isn't anything users can do to fix it from their end. We ask for patience.
@ Yaviyo: The first submission image will be sitting in public_html/comics - it will have the name of your comic and the date it was submitted as the name. You should upload your new comics to workspace/comics and name them for just the date. You can read more about removing the sample image in the tutorials (in the step by step guide I believe).
@ Galbardor0: As noted above, new members are unable to get in to SiteAdmin. Not sure how much longer this will go on, but hopefully soon. Note that you do not have to access SiteAdmin to run your comic. Read up some of the tutorials linked in the paragraph above for details.
@ SomethingWicked: If it is not updating for you then there might be something wrong. You should upload your comics to the workspace/comics folder. You should change/update the two templates in the workspace folder. You should not have an index.html file anywhere in the workspace section. You should not be uploading or editing files in the public_html section. You definitely should not be deleting folders. Can you be a bit more elaogarate on what you have done and what you are trying to do? In order to keep things tidy, it'd probably be a good idea to start a new thread so that you can get the full attention you need rather than being lost in this thread.
The current issue is that new members or people who change their forum password are unable to log into SiteAdmin. This is a system wide error and there isn't anything users can do to fix it from their end. We ask for patience.
@ Yaviyo: The first submission image will be sitting in public_html/comics - it will have the name of your comic and the date it was submitted as the name. You should upload your new comics to workspace/comics and name them for just the date. You can read more about removing the sample image in the tutorials (in the step by step guide I believe).
@ Galbardor0: As noted above, new members are unable to get in to SiteAdmin. Not sure how much longer this will go on, but hopefully soon. Note that you do not have to access SiteAdmin to run your comic. Read up some of the tutorials linked in the paragraph above for details.
@ SomethingWicked: If it is not updating for you then there might be something wrong. You should upload your comics to the workspace/comics folder. You should change/update the two templates in the workspace folder. You should not have an index.html file anywhere in the workspace section. You should not be uploading or editing files in the public_html section. You definitely should not be deleting folders. Can you be a bit more elaogarate on what you have done and what you are trying to do? In order to keep things tidy, it'd probably be a good idea to start a new thread so that you can get the full attention you need rather than being lost in this thread.
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
I see. I only answered because you said that everyone, who has such matters, should write into the forum. I will try the way in the tutorial, so that I can, at least,work on the surface of my page. If there should be problems, I will write it here anywayDr Neo Lao wrote:@ Galbardor0: As noted above, new members are unable to get in to SiteAdmin. Not sure how much longer this will go on, but hopefully soon. Note that you do not have to access SiteAdmin to run your comic. Read up some of the tutorials linked in the paragraph above for details.
In any case, thanks for the help, Doc.
- BionicDance
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
You're right on both counts: not what I wanted to hear, but glad to be hearing something. Thanks.Dr Neo Lao wrote:@ All: still no new news on when the SiteAdmin will be fixed. Not what you guys wanted to hear, but just letting everyone know that we have not forgotten about you.
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
I had a hard disk crash and lost 30% of my archived e-mails including password details. When I recovered things I could still FTP files to my comic (at http://lauraseabrook.comicgenesis.com/) but not login to admin to manually update it. I thought I was going MAD - I had a major problem as I couldn't login as LauraSeabrook (I created LauraEss just so I could login) and whenever I tried to seld an e-mail to help@comicgenesis.com I was getting delivery errors. Plus, I couldn't look up <b>The Team</b> because I had to be logged on for that!
Anyway, here's my details
Laura S
(actually LauraSeabrook but I can't login under that right now.
Anyway, here's my details
- When I registered: as LauraSeabrook, on 6th Jan, 2006;
- Have I ever been able to log into SiteAdmin: up until mid June 2009;
- Was I unable to log into SiteAdmin, did *something* and were then able to get into SiteAdmin? Yes, I was. I was able to get to http://siteadmin.comicgenesis.com:8080 and use the old forms to update.
Laura S
(actually LauraSeabrook but I can't login under that right now.
-
SomethingWicked
- Newbie
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
I suppose I've not moved it to my own thread as I've heard other people say much the same here.Dr Neo Lao wrote:@ SomethingWicked: If it is not updating for you then there might be something wrong. You should upload your comics to the workspace/comics folder. You should change/update the two templates in the workspace folder. You should not have an index.html file anywhere in the workspace section. You should not be uploading or editing files in the public_html section. You definitely should not be deleting folders. Can you be a bit more elaogarate on what you have done and what you are trying to do? In order to keep things tidy, it'd probably be a good idea to start a new thread so that you can get the full attention you need rather than being lost in this thread.
As for what I have done: I edited my site, and figured it out appropriately. No folders were deleted, tutorials were read and understood. On the server update, everything went up, but some of my coding was off. On my computer, I edited my file (changing zero file names, just font colors and the like), and FTP'd it once more, overwriting the original file. The next day, it updated again, but I wished to continue adding/editing.
I once more did the same: edited my files locally, and updated the appropriate pages, overwriting the originals. On my FTP client, the sizes and files are correct.
However, the next day, my site did not update, properly. Some of the pages went up, but some that had been pre-existing just edited, remained unchanged. For example: I added the calendar on my front page, and edited it in CSS, which is external for me. The calendar showed up, but without my styles. However, the old styles (such as background images) are still there, saying the link to my page is not broken.
The next day, after other editing and re-writing, there was zero change, and this has remained despite any attempts to update it.
However, strangely enough, my comics are going up on time and without a hitch. It's just everything else that isn't working.
Hopefully that is more specific and helpful, and if it is recommended, I could make my own thread.
- BionicDance
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
QUERY: Since we noobs can't access SiteAdmin and therefore can't upload any banners for our comics, is there any way we can, like, send banners for our comics to the mods and have them put up manually or something?
I mean, my comic is damn new and I'd like to try to establish a reader base, yanno? I can spam the living daylights out of the web forums on which I hang out, not to mention YouTube, but...well...
Just askin'.
I mean, my comic is damn new and I'd like to try to establish a reader base, yanno? I can spam the living daylights out of the web forums on which I hang out, not to mention YouTube, but...well...
Just askin'.
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
Finally figured out why my comic is updating off-schedule. Somehow while signing up I managed to schedule updates to occur the day after I've got the files dated for. 
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
@ Galbador0: Cool. Thanks for the information. It all helps.
@ All: Both Kisai and STrRedWolf are working on this. Part of the code that works with the passwords has to be re-written since a forum update around May is incompatible with the existing password thingy. That's the gist of the information that I have at hand at this current time.
So yes, the problem is indeed being worked on, Lamentably, there is still no ETA on a working SiteAdmin that everyone can use.
@ LauraEss: You should still be able to log into the forum with you original forum account so long as you still have access to the email address that you originally signed up with. Just go to the forum login page and click on the "Forgot your password?" link and a new password should be sent to your email and let you use your old forum account. The bad news is that because your password changes, you still won't be able to log into SiteAdmin - but you ought to be able to use your existing forum account.
@ SomethingWicked: o.0 That's ... an odd one. I'd say you were editing files in the public_html side but your symptoms don't match up to that. Sounds like you are editing the indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html files but some of the changes aren't sticking. The first impulse I get is to tell you to refresh your browser to make sure you are looking at the current version on the site and not a cached version on your computer. Sounds like you might need to trigger a Full Update, but you won't be able to do that until you can get into SiteAdmin. One of those "can't do A because of B, can't do B because of A" scenarios. Not quite sure what you can do in the meantime...
@ BionicDance: I'm not sure I follow the question. If you upload banners and such into the CG system, then those images will only work on CG sites. For example, if you wanted to upload your banner so that you could hot-link to it from Bob's Board and Mega Fun Forum (generic names for sites you might visit) then you would need to upload them to another image service. Normally I'd recommend PhotoBucket since that one is good but they specifically don't serve images to CG sites. There are a number of other image hosts that you can use. I recommend ImageCave, ImageShack and RipWay. All three should let you create an account, upload your images and hotlink to them from any site you care to use.
@KBGleason: Ouch! Not a lot you can do about it for the moment. Where are you? If you are in the US, then you would have left it at midnight. Europe sets it for the previous evening and Australia / Asia sets it for the following morning. It is really confusing. It is explained here how the offset time works, but this is an older explanation - the times are off by 90 minutes now (just to really confuse everyone) since the server(s) hosting CG moved early in 2008 and crossed timezones - but I'm not sure which way it changed.
@ All again: Normally I'd be quite happy to say "this issue ought to be fixed by the <some date>", but I have no control over it and not privy to just how far along the work is progressing. Giving out possible completion dates without a concrete reason for said date is usually a bad idea as delays are inevitable and it just frustrates everyone. What I can say is that the problem is being worked on and that it will (hopefully) be resolved (sometime) soon.
In the meantime, if anyone has specific questions on how to do things, then feel free to ask. The main thing at the moment would be to concentrate on making comics (people will come to your site to read your comic, not admire the website that displays it) and if you can get FTP to work then you are already 90% of the way there.
Apologies to all for the inconvenience.
@ All: Both Kisai and STrRedWolf are working on this. Part of the code that works with the passwords has to be re-written since a forum update around May is incompatible with the existing password thingy. That's the gist of the information that I have at hand at this current time.
So yes, the problem is indeed being worked on, Lamentably, there is still no ETA on a working SiteAdmin that everyone can use.
@ LauraEss: You should still be able to log into the forum with you original forum account so long as you still have access to the email address that you originally signed up with. Just go to the forum login page and click on the "Forgot your password?" link and a new password should be sent to your email and let you use your old forum account. The bad news is that because your password changes, you still won't be able to log into SiteAdmin - but you ought to be able to use your existing forum account.
@ SomethingWicked: o.0 That's ... an odd one. I'd say you were editing files in the public_html side but your symptoms don't match up to that. Sounds like you are editing the indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html files but some of the changes aren't sticking. The first impulse I get is to tell you to refresh your browser to make sure you are looking at the current version on the site and not a cached version on your computer. Sounds like you might need to trigger a Full Update, but you won't be able to do that until you can get into SiteAdmin. One of those "can't do A because of B, can't do B because of A" scenarios. Not quite sure what you can do in the meantime...
@ BionicDance: I'm not sure I follow the question. If you upload banners and such into the CG system, then those images will only work on CG sites. For example, if you wanted to upload your banner so that you could hot-link to it from Bob's Board and Mega Fun Forum (generic names for sites you might visit) then you would need to upload them to another image service. Normally I'd recommend PhotoBucket since that one is good but they specifically don't serve images to CG sites. There are a number of other image hosts that you can use. I recommend ImageCave, ImageShack and RipWay. All three should let you create an account, upload your images and hotlink to them from any site you care to use.
@KBGleason: Ouch! Not a lot you can do about it for the moment. Where are you? If you are in the US, then you would have left it at midnight. Europe sets it for the previous evening and Australia / Asia sets it for the following morning. It is really confusing. It is explained here how the offset time works, but this is an older explanation - the times are off by 90 minutes now (just to really confuse everyone) since the server(s) hosting CG moved early in 2008 and crossed timezones - but I'm not sure which way it changed.
@ All again: Normally I'd be quite happy to say "this issue ought to be fixed by the <some date>", but I have no control over it and not privy to just how far along the work is progressing. Giving out possible completion dates without a concrete reason for said date is usually a bad idea as delays are inevitable and it just frustrates everyone. What I can say is that the problem is being worked on and that it will (hopefully) be resolved (sometime) soon.
In the meantime, if anyone has specific questions on how to do things, then feel free to ask. The main thing at the moment would be to concentrate on making comics (people will come to your site to read your comic, not admire the website that displays it) and if you can get FTP to work then you are already 90% of the way there.
Apologies to all for the inconvenience.
- BionicDance
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 194
- Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:46 am
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
Exactly. And then readers of other CG comics will see 'em and maybe click on 'em. It's another vector by which one might attract readers.Dr Neo Lao wrote:@ BionicDance: I'm not sure I follow the question. If you upload banners and such into the CG system, then those images will only work on CG sites.
I'm just sayin'...I've seen banners for comics I already read on other CG comics; for some of them, that's even how I got interested. That could work for my comic, too...
Yeah, I'm already doing this. Like I said above, I'd like to have my banners on CG comics; there'z, what, a few hundred (a few thousand?) comics on CG? That's a lot of potential for reader-base expansion...For example, if you wanted to upload your banner so that you could hot-link to it from Bob's Board and Mega Fun Forum (generic names for sites you might visit) then you would need to upload them to another image service. Normally I'd recommend PhotoBucket since that one is good but they specifically don't serve images to CG sites. There are a number of other image hosts that you can use. I recommend ImageCave, ImageShack and RipWay. All three should let you create an account, upload your images and hotlink to them from any site you care to use.
I'm just sayin'...
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
But that's just the point - I don't. That e-mail address was run from the server of a local arts group which folded last year. That e-mail address doesn't exist any more. So what do I do?Dr Neo Lao wrote:@ LauraEss: You should still be able to log into the forum with you original forum account so long as you still have access to the email address that you originally signed up with. Just go to the forum login page and click on the "Forgot your password?" link and a new password should be sent to your email and let you use your old forum account. The bad news is that because your password changes, you still won't be able to log into SiteAdmin - but you ought to be able to use your existing forum account.
- Dr Neo Lao
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2397
- Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:21 am
- Location: Australia
Re: o o o Can't Log into SiteAdmin? Read this thread! o o o
@ Laura - ah, that's a pain. Didn't know about the lack of email-ness. For the Forum it isn't as bad as it could be, since the solution is to do what you've already done - create a new forum account. Where you will get stuck is if you ever need to change or reset the FTP password for your comic - that one will only be sent to the email you originally registered with. It might be possible to get one of the admins to change the email listed in your comic account, but I don't know how to do that.
@ BionicDance: I see now, it was crossed terminology. So we're on the same page, the bit that is wide and goes in a forum sig is referred to as a banner. The image that is tall and shows up on different comics is referred to as a newsbox image. The round image that goes on the front page of CG is called a Pog. When you said "banner" you meant it in a generic way, talking about the newsbox images. When I replied about banners, I meant the ones that go in sigs on forums. So yes, you will need SiteAdmin to be able to upload your newsbox and pog images. I'm not aware of any other way of doing it.
@ BionicDance: I see now, it was crossed terminology. So we're on the same page, the bit that is wide and goes in a forum sig is referred to as a banner. The image that is tall and shows up on different comics is referred to as a newsbox image. The round image that goes on the front page of CG is called a Pog. When you said "banner" you meant it in a generic way, talking about the newsbox images. When I replied about banners, I meant the ones that go in sigs on forums. So yes, you will need SiteAdmin to be able to upload your newsbox and pog images. I'm not aware of any other way of doing it.


